Date: 27-04-24  Time: 10:06 am

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1604860 times)

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #1475 on: 15 November 2013, 08:41:30 am »
Dropped it!  :'(

Thankfully I fitted the engine bars just last week. So no real damage.   8)

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: 15 November 2013, 10:06:30 am »
Bought the Fazer ZX4! New bike, excited times etc.  :D
You might be banned from the site for trying to impersonate a Foccer  :hijack

Well, you weren't going to sell me an FZS400 for £800! Plus, this site is pretty awesome, I'm staying. ;)
The Deef's apprentice

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: 15 November 2013, 01:03:12 pm »
"this site is pretty awesome, I'm staying. ;)"

Bloody riffraff ! they'll let anybody in nowadays !

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: 15 November 2013, 04:24:14 pm »
Fitted pair of German made engine protector bars-good quality-not too obtrusive-peace of mind in case of accidental drop :eek

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: 15 November 2013, 04:50:47 pm »
Rospa was interesting, missed out on a gold, just,,,

I filtered to the front of a set of lights in front of a white van in a 30 section and the examiner said I could have put my self at risk if the van decided to race me, he siad he's seen it bofore and also braking down from a 70 to a 30 instead of using the engine. This contradicted what an IAM guy told me to do on an IDCAM a year ago so a bit annoyed at that.

Other than that, it was pretty relaxed really.

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: 15 November 2013, 05:21:07 pm »

phew!!

can i ask where you got the engine bars from? only place i can find em is on the wemoto site.think its a good idea to fit them as im planning to ride over the winter

oh,and i ordered a Beowulf carbon fibre sleeved exhaust with baffles that you take out on 'track day's'  :evil

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: 15 November 2013, 05:22:25 pm »

I filtered to the front of a set of lights in front of a white van in a 30 section and the examiner said I could have put my self at risk if the van decided to race me, he siad he's seen it bofore and also braking down from a 70 to a 30 instead of using the engine. This contradicted what an IAM guy told me to do on an IDCAM a year ago so a bit annoyed at that.

I did some driver training years ago & the one thing that i remember is that they did not condone slowing down using the gearbox, all on the brakes til the last minute, looking looking looking braking braking braking, see the gap, off the brakes, select the correct gear & then complete the move.

I remember the instructor saying "whats more expensive"" a new gearbox or some new brake pads"

So sounds a contradiction to be punished for not using the gearbox really i agree.

Foccin instructor! :evil
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: 15 November 2013, 07:47:57 pm »

I did some driver training years ago & the one thing that i remember is that they did not condone slowing down using the gearbox, all on the brakes til the last minute, looking looking looking braking braking braking, see the gap, off the brakes, select the correct gear & then complete the move.

I remember the instructor saying "whats more expensive"" a new gearbox or some new brake pads"

So sounds a contradiction to be punished for not using the gearbox really i agree.

IAM - "gears are for going brakes are for slowing" simples
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: 15 November 2013, 08:43:25 pm »

Old school car talk which does not work with bikes  :rolleyes , one simple reason is because it takes longer to go down through the box when stopped on a bike than a car. The same which now applies to the sequentil gearbox in cars.
Dropping gears as you slow also maintains stability and means you are in the correct gear when you go to take off again, same applies to cornering.
If you follow a good rider through the bends on the road they never use their brakes unless they have to. :)

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: 15 November 2013, 08:52:38 pm »

phew!!

can i ask where you got the engine bars from? only place i can find em is on the wemoto site.think its a good idea to fit them as im planning to ride over the winter

oh,and i ordered a Beowulf carbon fibre sleeved exhaust with baffles that you take out on 'track day's'  :evil

Yeah. I used a few choice words when she was on her side.

The bars are the genuine Yamaha ones, same as Fazersharp has. See this thread for a pic and a part number.

Very discreet. And now tested!

I got them from a German company. 'Beinert Zweirad'. Google them.  They were just over €70 delivered. And yes, t that's Euros not pounds! And they're brand new in Yamaha packaging! Take that Renntec!!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: 15 November 2013, 08:58:19 pm »
Hey glad that you got them ok. And glad they did the job already, (not glad you droped it ) but at least you did it the right way around cause I got mine because i droped it about 10 years ago now. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: 15 November 2013, 09:01:27 pm »

Dropping gears as you slow also maintains stability and means you are in the correct gear when you go to take off again, same applies to cornering.
If you follow a good rider through the bends on the road they never use their brakes unless they have to. :)

Agreed. Braking hard into corners loads the suspension, and then the bike needs a moment to settle before committing. Engine braking allows for a smoother corner entry if done correctly, and then you have more go on tap when you see the exit. In reality on the road, you'd probably use a bit of both.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: 15 November 2013, 09:01:50 pm »
On the engine braking thing ---doesn't anyone "blip the throttle while you are changing down when the clutch is in as that adds speed to the engine and reduces the braking a little and makes the whole thing of changing down a lot smother and means somtimes you dont even have to use the brakes
« Last Edit: 15 November 2013, 09:04:21 pm by fazersharp »

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: 15 November 2013, 09:04:28 pm »
Hey glad that you got them ok. And glad they did the job already, (not glad you droped it ) but at least you did it the right way around cause I got mine because i droped it about 10 years ago now.

can you put up a piccie of them on,i could spend all night looking for it otherwise!!  :lol

ive already spent over £350 on bits for the bike today-exhaust,decent rain cover,double bubble screen,yoke protector and scottoiler engine protection spray stuff.bloody expensive this biking  malarky  :eek

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: 15 November 2013, 09:07:40 pm »
here http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,1655.msg95874.html#msg95874

and a little down that page  here http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,1655.msg110129.html#msg110129

If your tyres have NO chicken strips then they can touch down if the road camber is steep
« Last Edit: 15 November 2013, 09:10:34 pm by fazersharp »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: 15 November 2013, 09:11:20 pm »
On the engine braking thing ---doesn't anyone "blip the throttle while you are changing down when the clutch is in as that adds speed to the engine and reduces the braking a little and makes the whole thing of changing down a lot smother and means somtimes you dont even have to use the brakes

Yeah, been doing that all my riding career so I don't really think about it now - I just do it. Just feels right.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: 15 November 2013, 09:14:34 pm »

Yeah, been doing that all my riding career so I don't really think about it now - I just do it. Just feels right.
I think that is the bit that nay-sayers about engine braking are missing as -yes without the tecnique engine braking can be quite severe and can even lead to a skid.
Does the tecnique have a name ?

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: 15 November 2013, 09:18:42 pm »
Pilgo-dont know if this is any use to you -I ordered a set of Fehling engine protector bars from Paul Smeetons "Bits for Bikes" on ebay @ £74-95 & p&p. They came with replacement engine bolts, nyloc nuts,washers,clamps etc.-all good quality. Only downside-the parts list was all in German-but I like a challenge! They look the business without being ugly or intrusive-IMO much better bet than relying on bungs that can act like a pivot in event of a tumble. Ordered one day-received 1st thing next day :D

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: 15 November 2013, 09:26:20 pm »
Car practice years ago was to slow down through the gears but don't forget few carsback then had servos let alone disc brakes. Current  car practice as stated: Gears to go---Brakes to slow. Unfortunately bike gearboxes being sequential don't allow "Block Changing" but engine braking on most 4-stroke bikes is good. To avoid jerky changes leading to possible loss of traction, many riders "blip" the throttle coming down the box -in fact with practice & 2 finger braking you can declutch, change gear &, if needed apply front brake simultaneously  Who said men couldn't multitask!? :lol

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: 15 November 2013, 09:31:43 pm »
Ive always blipped the throttle on down changes... not sure it makes me any smoother but f*ck it sounds good!!! :D

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: 15 November 2013, 09:31:52 pm »
"blip" the throttle coming down the box -in fact with practice & 2 finger braking you can declutch, change gear &, if needed apply front brake simultaneously
Thats it - thats exactly what I do, and most of the time although I cover with more fingers I only use one to brake in those situ's
For me its abit like counter stearing I read about it once and thought "but thats what im doing" as I didnt know it was a "thing" and there was a name for it, it was somthing that I just did
« Last Edit: 15 November 2013, 09:35:48 pm by fazersharp »

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: 15 November 2013, 09:39:52 pm »

Old school car talk which does not work with bikes  :rolleyes , one simple reason is because it takes longer to go down through the box when stopped on a bike than a car. The same which now applies to the sequentil gearbox in cars.

Think it depends on whether it is an emergency stop or planned gradual reduction of speed with the latter using both brakes and gearbox with emphasis on brakes. but surely never without gears at all like the yank in this clip shows

How to Stop on a motorcycle

Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: 15 November 2013, 09:53:41 pm »
Well that vid was BORING I thought somthing was going to happen at any moment------I just wasted 10mins of my life
THANKS
« Last Edit: 15 November 2013, 09:55:12 pm by fazersharp »

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: 15 November 2013, 10:03:47 pm »
fitted a carbon can

www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: 15 November 2013, 10:11:07 pm »
fitted a carbon can

You love your carbon, eh? Looks really good, especially with the SS swingarm!  :)
The Deef's apprentice