Date: 29-03-24  Time: 11:03 am

Author Topic: Front wheel removal  (Read 2704 times)

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Front wheel removal
« on: 11 June 2013, 07:05:03 pm »
Hi all,
Any idea why there is no tool provided to remove the front wheel and what do you guys use, went to use the bike today and the back tyre was flat, got a bloody nail in it!
Also any thoughts on only replacing the punctured tyre, I have pilot road ones on at the mo and obviously will have to get a new version looking at PR3 but can I just leave the front PR1 on as it has at least 2k of wear to go or should I bite the expensive bullet and replace the 2???

Tommo

fazer-rat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - thunderace
    • View Profile
Re: Front wheel removal
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2013, 07:30:52 pm »
leave the front one on no probs,  the tool for the front wheel can be bought off ebay really cheap or you can use a m12 bolt with a pair of mole grips as the hole is 19mm i think if i remember correctly,, or it may be 17mm in which case you need an m10 bolt.
just put the bolt in the grips and insert the head into the axle ;)

andydrz

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2013, 10:28:18 pm »
I use an old cortina wheel nut to help undo the spindle which is 19mm hex (or 3/4") like many other car wheel nuts. I have just put a pair of Pirelli Angel ST's on mine, £163 a pair from a link on here to a fellow on ebay  :) 

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2013, 02:39:09 pm »
brought a 19mm tool from local shop for £2 basicly just a chunk of hex bar
i have seen some multi ones on ebay that do 4 sizes though.
i think someone tried to use the plug socket spanner to remove the front wheel, it fitted but bent up easy so not advised :P

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2013, 10:27:44 pm »
I thought the spark plug tool was dual purpose for years until someone on here pointed out it wasn't for the spindle. Worked fine as long as the spindle isn't seized.

the proper tool is peanuts though - just buy it and be done. It's like a spring puller for getting side and centre stand springs put on, you'll wonder why you never had one even if it's only used once in a blue moon. Or a proper oil filter wrench.

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 June 2013, 04:28:27 pm »
"as long as the spindle isn't seized"
OR if the berk trying to undo the spindle forgets there is a clamp bolt and shears off the end of the torque wrench trying to undo the spindle first - DOH!!
Tommo

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2013, 08:02:58 pm »
Muffled giggle. Been there and done similar!

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2013, 10:59:51 am »
I got two car wheel nuts welded back to back, I  keep it under the seat in case the rac man does not have a tool.
I change my own tyres using, my jacked up astra with spare wheel rim fitted as bead breaking tool , I put an old car mat down to protect the wheel from ground abrasions, you need to be carefull with the front just tip it upwards at the rear to avoid presure on the brake discs, or alternatively a front wheel will fit in a  large vice .I have cheep balancing tool bought on e bay for not much. If you have trouble making the beads seal when inflating the fitted tyre, just blow up  a car wheel to about 60 psi remove the valve on the bike wheel and fit a foot pump hose of similar betwean the car and bike tyres, Ive fitted lots using this system , but if you are not confident in these things you must pay yer money etc, I would not change tyres before they are due, as they are expensive enough to change when they are knackered.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2013, 12:03:51 pm by bwizz »