Date: 24-04-24  Time: 09:52 am

Author Topic: Pilot Roads  (Read 1491 times)

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Pilot Roads
« on: 23 March 2013, 10:48:07 am »
Hi all,
Apologies if you are snowed in today or yesterday, but I had the first really decent day of March, warm roads not too much farm shite thoughtfully spread over said roads so I decided to go for a ride. Anyway.......
It felt like the back end was all over the place, at one point breaking for a bend it locked up, not fun! The tyres were nice and warm and the road was clean and dry too, the tyres in question are Michelin Pilot Roads no number so am assuming PR mark 1, not that old, 2 years and about 4500 miles on them. They have a decent amount of tread on but the back felt really loose anyone else had a similar experience? Tyres that look ok but the performance has just gone AWOL? Bloody grateful it didn't rain at any point and hence why I am not going out today!!
Cheers
Tommo

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Pilot Roads
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2013, 01:20:23 pm »
I've got the Pilot Road 3s, and they're fab, so assuming you've not got those fella.
That said, it's still bloody cold out, even if it is dry, and it's a LOT easier to lock the brakes up, particularly on the rear!
I bet they're not as bad as an old set of Maxxis I had on my Ninja 9 though, they were sporty tyres, and fine in the warm, but in the cold I could slide the rear up to EVERY roundabout/traffic light I came accross, which was a giggle when I was trying, but worrying when I wasn't!

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2013, 01:41:36 pm »
The tyres themselves will be at least 5 or 6 years old (manufacture date) and probably sold as old stock, so well past their best irrespective of mileage or how long on your bike. Toss them and buy some new ones or ride like a granny until they are worn out.

The manufacture date should be on the side wall in a week/year format i.e. 35/06

I have PR1's on years ago and at 2/3 worn they turned to shit, before that they were great and gave a very comfortable ride.

I changed mine for Dunlop Roadsmarts which need changing again, so going to put on Roadsmart 2's

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2013, 01:05:39 pm »
Also dont forget if your only just starting to "use" your tyres again its not just your tyres that will need warming up but the rider will need getting used to it again. lots of riders take a while to get confidence back in themself and/or the bike/tyres after a lull in riding.
i ride most of the year but mostly for work in the winter so no playing on the bike as such. i find if i get a good day and go for a play i tend to scare myself as even now with the muck on the roads and the cold weather even good tyres are bellow thier best in grip and feel then throw in a rider thats happy to see good weather and you have a recipie for some uncomfortable moments :)

4.5k on a rear for me is about warn out as i allmost never get 5k from a rear any make on the 1000. but as others seem to be able to get 9k from a tyre you can decide how close to replacememnt you are.

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2013, 06:32:50 pm »
Cheers for the replies guys, I suspect it was a combination of things; me being a bit too heavy with the front brake transferring too much weight forward leaving the back brake to overwhelm the rear tyre, it is not that worn but it is a few years old esp if it was not 'brand new' when it was fitted (in Oct 2010) I was just a bit surprised because the roads were warm and I had already ridden for 30 miles so assumed things were all warmed up. I guess that some more modern rubber may be needed, I just like to get at least the middle tread worn away before getting shot of a tyre but then I dont have an income at the mo so.....best laid plans of mice etc!!

Tommo

Noj

• DAS Born Again
  • Psych on a Bike.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - R6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2013, 08:25:46 pm »
I have just put PR 3 on and even at freezing temperatures these bad boys stick. The old Dunlop sports smart were good in dry and warm 10 degrees or above, but would spin up in wet at the slightest acceleration. Great fun   :lol  But not good for health if your a bit nervous about loosening the back end at speed.

PR3 best in wet on R6 and FZ1S so far.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 March 2013, 12:05:31 am »
Two things that might need taking into consideration - Fazer's back brakes are very powerful and the roads are nowhere near up to grip. Even though it's been dry for a while, that salt is still making them slippery. It's like talcum powder now that it's been ground up and it'll take a good dousing to get the roads properly grippy. And it's bloody cold.

Ok, that's 3 things....

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 March 2013, 10:35:36 am »
I'm assuming the bikes been parked up for a while?

Did you check the pressures?

Only a small amount of pressure loss will give you a very different feel especially if it's cold and it's been awhile since you last rode.
Later

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 March 2013, 10:57:48 am »
 I'm of the understanding that UV is one of the major contributors to aging tyres, so if the tyres are a few years old as long as they haven't been sitting out in the sun all the time they should be fine.  Aging can usually be seen by the amount of cracking in the rubber, if it's really breaking up, looking dry and hard it's maybe time to dump em.
Don't know where you are, but I can't see anybody anywhere in the UK getting their tyres up to a decent temperature at the mo, plus even if you do the roads are pretty cold and have a fine covering of dust and crap, all reducing grip.
I've seen loads of folks fooled by the first spring sunshine, pressing on hard thinking they have grip and ended up on their arses.   It's not the time of year for full throttle action.
Oh other wee tyre issues.  If it's been laid up, have the wheels been turned a little now and again to stop the tyres going off round?  Have you checked your tyre pressures? 
I've got PR2's, I like them, very neutral and long lasting.  Good grip but occasionally the rear will step out just a bit when pressing on.  But then again I got over 6000 miles out of my first PR2 rear - that's amazing.