Date: 19-04-24  Time: 12:15 pm

Author Topic: FJR vs Gen 1 thou  (Read 5059 times)

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
FJR vs Gen 1 thou
« on: 17 June 2012, 10:34:36 am »
Hi all, interested in any opinions from out there comparing the FJR1300 to the gen 1 thou, I find I have to sit more and more upright now due to dodgy lower back and realised I sit a bit like the bike cops/paramedic guys do on their FJRs. Qn is how does the FJR compare to the fazer, I realise it will be more heavy to 'throw around' the bends but it seems to always get a rough write up in the bike mags and not just for the now very high price (would not be interested in  a branbd new one anyway!!) Just wondered if any of you guys had decent experience of the bike???
Cheers
P

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: FJR vs Gen 1 thou
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2012, 11:35:03 am »
yes mate! i ran one for 5yrs...a 51plt...lovely bike,...fantastic tourer!!....although comfortable?....if your a 6fter without bar risers you will suffer from neck and shoulder probs!!.....very heavy at slow pace!...good though when on the move?...goes like a train!!!!!....fuel wise good!..from mid 30,s  up to high 50,s depending how you ride ? ;) .....but!!!!!!.......not the best for everyday commutes!...if you leave it for any length of time without running ! the brakes tend to sieze!!...the alarm system i had would flatten batt within 2wks!...meta357t....if your main interest is touring??....then you cant go far wrong with a fjr...handling wise they feel realy planted!!(once you get used to one)....they seem to get throgh tyres pretty quick!..front will go first!....i could get 5 t 6k out of rear before squaring!! front mabe 4 t 5k !!....brakes are absolutely fantastick!! for such a heavy bike even 2up with full luggage! you will not find a bike that can stop as fast!!!!! i cant compare to a gen thou though ?...i have just picked up a gen 1 stolen recovered but doesnt run so not ridden!!!i only sold my fjr cus ime old and fkd  :'( ....far to heavy to push about!!  so now have a foxeye 6...does it all for me so am happy!!.....a bloke i know who bought his brand new in 2002 as just gone over 170,000 miles and not had any engine work done!!!! so reliability is deff not in question is it?? :)

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2012, 11:38:26 am »

Having trashed both bikes I'd go for the Fazer everytime if I wanted to hussle. Yes you're right that the FJR is heavier to chuck around but if you've got a bad back do you want to be chucking it around? You can chuck it around but in less than a week of very fast lane scratching I managed to kill a set of tyres.

The FJR also has loads of heat coming from the motor that tends to heat you up and melt your legs when slow riding or stationary. Think this is due to the fairing design more than anything.

Touring wise it's very capable. Seating position was good for me but don't know how it would be for a rider with different build. I'm 5'7".

Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2012, 08:02:14 am »
try a pm to driller2, he ran an auto FJR for some time.He also had a FZ-1 and a FZS.

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2012, 11:59:53 am »
I bought a new FJR1300 in 2007 and did a couple of 1200 mile trips on it before selling it. It was a FABULOUS bike. It really annoys me when so many magazines ignore them when testing "Grand Tourers". That steam-train of an engine has amazing power.

Having said that, they are a big heavy lump. And as KK points out, they throw an enormous amount of heat out. That was probably the main reason that I sold it after 14 months. Great in winter, but awful in summer (yes, I know we don't have them anymore).

I then bought a VFR800 thinking it would be the perfect compromise between sportsbikes and tourers, but to me, it was useless at both. As a sportsbike it was heavy and as a tourer it couldn't hold a candle to the FJR. So after touring all around the coast of Ireland on it, I sold it.

The Fazer feels like it will be a great tourer - on par with the FJR I would say - but with less heat and weight.

Tom.
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!