Date: 19-04-24  Time: 02:51 am

Author Topic: A simple queston....  (Read 2451 times)

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
A simple queston....
« on: 11 June 2015, 12:43:15 pm »
though I suspect the answer maybe qute compleicated!

Hi all,

recently had the chance to try the new tracer. Thought it was a damn good bike but it made me realise just how good the gen1 fazer 1000 really is and mine is bog standard, no mods at all. Unfortunately it also highlighted, for me anyway, that the riding position is getting more and more uncomfortable.

So the question is can you make the riding position similar to the new breed of adventure style bikes i.e. higher seat, lower pegs and bars wider, higher and closer to you?

Will a bar mod involve having to have bespoke throttle, choke and clutch cables made aswell as bespoke brake lines?

I really enjoy riding the fazer on short journeys but anything touring wise has knees neck and shoulders getting very sore after 100 mles or so.

Any ideas fellow fazer fans, also any idea how long Yamaha will continue to supply parts for a bike which the most modern examples of are now 10 years old??

Cheers

Tom

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
Re: A simple queston....
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2015, 01:00:46 pm »
My options
Renthal 755 mid rise
Digger custom seat
You will need longer brake lines
Everthing else reaches
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2015, 04:11:34 pm »
Its fairly easy to change the riding position on the Fazer.

You can get something like SW Motech Bar Backs, with a bit of careful rerouting you may not have to change cables or hoses

http://www.bykebitz.co.uk/motorcycle-controls/sw-motech-motorcycle-handlebar-risers.html

I had my seat modified by digger seats with about 2" added in height to open out the old knees  :o

You can get some adjustable foot pegs from ebay

And a large screen like a VStream

Or MadStad

Good Luck  :)

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2015, 12:43:41 pm »
Thanks for that chaps,

had a quck look at the digger site and it appears i  need to send him the seat so not being in the uk at present that could pose a problem, i wll look into gettng one from a scrappers and getting that sent instead. By the way did you have the seat reprofiled or just highered ?

For the mo will go down the route of lower pegs and the new bars and/or risers.

is it easy to get longer brake lines are there specific companies that do these kind of mods and if i need longer lines it would be just the one from the master cylinder or......?

cheers

Tommo

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2015, 02:10:48 pm »
I don't carry a pillion much (I have another seat if I need to) so I had the rider area enlarged to allow me to move around more and widened a bit for my fat arse.

The seat can be changed to your requirements.

If you keep a three line set up you only need to change the master cylinder to splitter line. You should be able to reroute all other cables to get any extra length if required.

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 July 2015, 09:17:03 am »
A quick follow up,

Have ordered the bars and risers as well as one of those airhawk inflatable covers for the moment as I can't send the seat off easily.

Ordered new lines from Hel, see other post. So when it all gets  delivered I will see if it makes a difference.

Cheers