Date: 30-04-24  Time: 16:56 pm

Author Topic: garmin mount keeps breaking  (Read 3133 times)

expatmanxman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
garmin mount keeps breaking
« on: 21 November 2011, 09:08:29 pm »
Has anyone else had problems with the securing pins breaking on a garmin zumo mount. Twice in the last 6 months I've had one of the pins that go into the back of the unit body snap. Both times it happened while the unit was mounted in the cradle, one left pin and one right so not even the same pin each time. When I emailed Garmin and told them this was turning into an expensive exercise they sent me another mount free as a goodwill gesture which makes me wonder if this is a common problem. I'm reluctant to mount the unit until I've sorted out what's going wrong, the mounts are too dear to just keep buying new ones. An alternative might be to buy a non functioning Zumo and swap the back but I don't know if that's feasible.
Any ideas???

fazerboy1969

• DAS Born Again
  • shabba!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: garmin mount keeps breaking
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2011, 09:13:33 pm »
There all shite..my tomtom mount is crap..in the end had to buy a cheap item from china..works great now :-D
Loads of bikes owned...but my fazer 600 and thou were and are the best ive owned

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2011, 11:27:54 pm »
Any chance of a photo of it!

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GL1800 &amp Commando850
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2011, 11:52:05 pm »
Hi expatmanxman,
I use a Zumo 550 and while I've never had one break, I reckon that unless you loosen off the security screw, near fully unwind it, then you'll probably experience difficulty in locating the unit properly next time you mount.  :lol
 My brother in law (has one too) was trying to wreck his one day, till I spotted him and loosened the screw.  All brute force muttering that there was summat wrong, it won't fit.
Sometimes, when I've loosened the security screw to get the unit out, it's undone just enough to allow the unit to be removed, but impossible to get it back in again when I return, unless I unwind it a bit more.Dunno if you may be doing the same?  May be worth considering?  Hope it gets sorted.
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.

GringoRojo

• Otter baiting foccer
    FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
    Aug 08
    Oct 08
    Sept 09
  • GP Hero
  • a Doonhamer in exile
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger800XC
    • View Profile
    • a two wheeled charity ride without engines
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2011, 01:26:20 am »
which zumo?

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2011, 07:33:53 am »
Garmin has always had a good name for dealing with problems even out of warranty so them sending you one free doesn't mean it's a known fault, I've known people sending handheld gps units in for broken screens have them fixed for free when they expected to have to pay.
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

Gordo

• Sausage Pocket&FOC-U Arsonist
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
    • Gordo's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2011, 06:44:31 pm »
Garmin are very good with customer service, and I'm surprised you've had problems with the mount. If it's a Zumo 550, mine's been all over Europe, on and off road, through Morocco and across the top of the Sahara (including the infamous 'washboard' desert roads) completely unscathed.

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2011, 07:28:27 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=360411320130

Is this the mount your talking about, and if it is where does it break. If it through the neck under the ball I might have an idea.

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2011, 07:30:49 pm »

expatmanxman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2011, 09:21:08 pm »
not that one, it's this one
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/alt-image.do?pID=1559&img=productImageLarge

On the top (RHS in the picture) there are two pins that lift and lower with the hinged top plate and engage with the holes in the casing of the unit. The two breakages have been a different pin each time, what's really puzzling is that there are lumps of the plastic boss that the pins run through missing too. I'm going to get my friend's Zumo round here and get the vernier on them both, see if there's any difference in dimensions, depth of hole etc. There must be a reason, particularly with the second mount I have been very careful when mounting/dismounting, and I always make sure the screw is so far out it is loose before removing the unit. Confused indeed.  :\

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 November 2011, 07:49:02 am »
not had this problem, but have had a few of  the gold circles on the base of my 550 unit itself  go black...and interrupt the unit. Is this common?..I was told its oxidisation caused by water ingress and it will come off with gentle abrasion .Is this right ?

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 November 2011, 09:23:47 am »
Had a Zumo 550 for about 3 years now, never had a problem with the mount, with the directions - yes - but not the mount :lol

Gordo

• Sausage Pocket&FOC-U Arsonist
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
    • Gordo's Blog
« Reply #12 on: 23 November 2011, 06:11:19 pm »
not had this problem, but have had a few of  the gold circles on the base of my 550 unit itself  go black...and interrupt the unit. Is this common?..I was told its oxidisation caused by water ingress and it will come off with gentle abrasion .Is this right ?
Depends if you have it permanently live or not. Mine is, and the pins are corroding owing to electrolysis (apparently). Everything still works, it just needs the odd wiggle now and again.