Date: 16-05-24  Time: 00:23 am

Author Topic: New member  (Read 1521 times)

dooz

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - BMW K100RS
    • View Profile
« on: 26 July 2013, 08:01:49 pm »
Hi guys.
First of all let me introduce myself. I am of 1952 vintage, so I guess that will make me one of your older members. I have a 2001 Fazer 600 which I bought 4 years ago and which has covered only 15,000 miles. I had one new in 2000 and thought it was a great bike, but things cropped up and it had to go. I have been riding bikes on the road for the last 44 years. I have owned about 30 bikes in all and have only been without one on three occasions, once for nine months and twice for six months.
I take part in the Round Britain Rally either on one of my bikes (the other is a 25 year old BMW K100RS but I hope you won't hold that against me) or in a Lomax 3-wheeler (ditto). My wife used to ride her own bike (BSA Starfire, Suzuki GT500A & Virago 535) but had to give it up on doctors orders. She can't even ride pillion anymore so the Lomax is the only way that she can take part in the rally.
I have always done all of my own servicing and maintenance, and saw your forum when I returned from Europe last weekend with gearbox problems   :o . I thought that someone may have experienced the same problems and could help with a diagnosis. So here goes.
Half way through a weeks tour of France, Belgium, Germany and Luxemburg the Fazer developed a clunking. At walking pace I can hear a clunking sound and feel it through the footrests and handlebars. As engine speed increases so does the frequency of the clunking. As I change up the box the clunking, which is in every gear, gets faster until at motorway speeds it is an awful vibration which causes me white-finger. I checked the chain tension and that was ok (I have only adjusted the tension twice in 11 thousand miles). Returning home I took off the gearbox sprocket cover and found the sprocket nut secure. Indeed it took a real effort to undo it. I took off the sprocket, dropped out the rear wheel and moved the chain out of the way. I then fired up the bike and found that the clunking was still there. It seemed to be coming from the gearbox output shaft. Even without the chain and sprocket fitted the clunking increased in frequency with both engine speed and as I changed up the box. I guess that it will be either the gearbox output shaft bearing or the shaft itself. Before I take the engine out and strip it (over winter, pension permitting), has anyone experienced a similar problem?   
Any comments would be most welcome.
Dooz

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2013, 08:09:57 pm »
Welcome Dooz! Stick a thread up in the relevant forum, and let the flaming begin!  :lol

Jokes, we're a nice enough bunch. Some of us. Once...  ;)
The Deef's apprentice

dooz

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - BMW K100RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2013, 08:14:43 pm »
New to forums and the internet generally. How do I put a thread up in the relevant forum? Sounds painful.
Dooz

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2013, 08:18:38 pm »
New to forums and the internet generally. How do I put a thread up in the relevant forum? Sounds painful.
Dooz

Do what you did here about your problem with your bike, but post it in the FZS600 board.  :)
The Deef's apprentice

dooz

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - BMW K100RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2013, 08:25:57 pm »
Will do, cheers  :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2013, 10:14:43 pm »
hi dooz and welcome.agree with you on bearing,if you grab hold of the output shaft is there any play ?...as you kknow theres not a lot you can do to a gearbox without stripping it...still keep you out of trouble this winter...
One, is never going to be enough.....

dooz

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - BMW K100RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2013, 03:41:10 pm »
Can't detect any play. Guess only time will tell.

Cheers