Date: 30-04-24  Time: 12:28 pm

Author Topic: 07 FZ6 - Engine randomly cutting out. Anyone else experienced it?  (Read 5648 times)

Skoot34

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Ooo shiny new forums!  :)

I bought an 07 FZ6 to replace my aging 98 FZS back in August. One owner, FSH - loved it.

In the last month or so an issue has appeared where the bike instantly loses power,  lights etc all fine. Pressing the kill switch off/back on would bump the engine into life and that was that. It only happened every not and again so it wasn't really a problem. Unfortunately the problem has slowly got worse to the point tit would do it at least half a dozen times on my ride to/from work (64 mile round trip). I took the RH switch gear apart and cleaned up the kill switch contacts (all seemed pretty clean, perhaps a little wear on the contacts), after that it was fine for a couple of weeks. However today it did it at least 30-40 times on my way to work and 20  times on the way home!  :eek It does it whether the engines at idle, high speed, accelerating, decelerating, upright, leant over. Usually stabbing the kill switch works, but some times it stalls and I have to frantically get it in neutral before it will fire up. I can only assume it's the kill switch or perhaps a loose wire/connection somewhere. Immobilizer? I can't ride it how it is, far too dangerous. Was thinking of bypassing the kill switch temporarily to see if it solves the problem, but wondered if anyone else has experienced it on a later FZ6?

Cheers for reading

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: 07 FZ6 - Engine randomly cutting out. Anyone else experienced it?
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2011, 09:24:48 pm »
I had a similar problem on my FZ6-SA ('04-'06 model) where, when riding along at about 70mph, the engine suddenly cut out on me.

It turned out to be a faulty kill switch and, since that was replaced, I've not had a problem.

Nooj

« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2011, 09:35:22 pm »
Try the cut-out relay as well. Debz had the same problem and it was where a wire was breaking in the relay connector. We guessed it was from having had various accessories fitted and removed over the years, jiggling the loom around and chopping in and out of it may have weakened  the wire.

Also look at the side stand switch and tilt sensor.

Skoot34

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2011, 04:01:44 pm »
Cheers for replying. I bypassed the kill switch last night, no problems riding in today. How much did you pay for a new switch? Or is it the whole switch assembly?

Cheers
Scott

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2011, 02:09:17 am »
Mine was done whilst still under warranty, check the documentation, yours might still be covered.

Skoot34

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 March 2012, 12:52:15 pm »
Argh my Fazer started doing it again, cut out a few times riding in today. Will check my temporary kill switch bypass fix\bodge to see if there's a lose wire, but starting to wonder if it's something else. If I simply turn the ignition off and on after it dies it'll bump and carry on.

A used switch is about £30 on eBay, still trying to find the cost of a new one to compare as buying used isn't always the best thing.