Date: 17-05-24  Time: 16:00 pm

Author Topic: Fuel light  (Read 2000 times)

demic77

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Fuel light
« on: 02 April 2013, 11:08:55 pm »
At what point is the fuel light supposed to come on? Mine comes on briefly when you turn the ignition on then goes out. I went out today and the gauge dipped below slightly below E but still no light. Filled her up anyhow and she took 17 litres so i'm suspecting here was more to be had but didn't fancy running out in the middle of nowhere...

It will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end.

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel light
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2013, 12:13:39 am »
At what point is the fuel light supposed to come on? Mine comes on briefly when you turn the ignition on then goes out. I went out today and the gauge dipped below slightly below E but still no light. Filled her up anyhow and she took 17 litres so i'm suspecting here was more to be had but didn't fancy running out in the middle of nowhere...

That's normal, I suspect it's part of a self check system, ensuring all the bulbs work. When you press the starter (and hold it), the fuel and oil lights should both come on.

The tank on the '01 nominally holds 21L (I've put more than that in before), the reserve light is *supposed* to come on when only 3.5L remain. I find it flashes on and off, depending on riding style when low. Almost like an analogue system, I know how close to running low I am by how bright the light shines!

Might not hurt to check your connections under the tank.
The Deef's apprentice

Thorn

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2013, 03:04:20 am »
At what point is the fuel light supposed to come on?

That seems to depend entirely on the gradient of hill you're on!

On my 02 the reserve light comes on in the middle of the letter E, which is quite far below the bottom marker, I've proceeded to do 45 miles after that and still have a liter or two left in the tank.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2013, 05:52:35 am »
"...The tank on the '01 nominally holds 21L..."

Really? The 00/01 bikes only have a 20 litre tank!
I never bother counting, i just fill the thing up, but the 02/03 model has a modified 22 litre tank. (98/99 18 litres)

Have a look at this:    http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=34.0
« Last Edit: 03 April 2013, 05:53:06 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2013, 08:15:20 am »
"...The tank on the '01 nominally holds 21L..."

Really? The 00/01 bikes only have a 20 litre tank!
I never bother counting, i just fill the thing up, but the 02/03 model has a modified 22 litre tank. (98/99 18 litres)

Yup, my bad, sorry.

According to Haynes, the 98-99 models have 18L, the 00-01 bikes have 20L. Then again, you can always put more in a tank than what the manufacturer specifies, their estimates are pretty conservative.
The Deef's apprentice

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 April 2013, 08:49:33 am »
As mentioned, it depends on the bike model and also if your reading is taken on a hill or on a flat as to the operation of the fuel warning light.

The 02/03 foxeye models will do about 18.4 ltrs before reserve light and you have another 3.6 litres in reserve after this. As another member mentioned, these models normal will light up when the needle gauge is halway on the "E" mark roughly.

If your light should come on in a flat road, it might go off again going up a hill as the fuel is sent back towards end of the tank where the sensor is so the level will rise, which your sensor will interpret that it has more fuel than it actually has.

The 01 models had a litre less, so it should still do 17.6 litres before the light comes on too, which would account for your light still not coming on if your fill up only took 17ltrs.

Seems to me you have one of these models and if you had driven another 10-20 miles, you would have activated the warning light and gone into reserve. It is working and the bulb ain't blown because it flashed on in a pre-check when you turned on the ignition.

demic77

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2013, 10:48:29 am »
Cheers guys. I've had a look under the tank and nowt seems loose. Next time I run it down I'll chuck a couple of litres in a can and take it with, peace of mind like. Much as I love my new bike I REALLY don't fancy shoving it miles up the A59...

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 April 2013, 04:06:39 pm »
Cheers guys. I've had a look under the tank and nowt seems loose. Next time I run it down I'll chuck a couple of litres in a can and take it with, peace of mind like. Much as I love my new bike I REALLY don't fancy shoving it miles up the A59...

What year was your bike...btw?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 April 2013, 04:46:19 pm »

What year was your bike...btw?

Says 02/03 in his profile.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

demic77

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 April 2013, 09:20:32 pm »
'tis an '03  :)

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 April 2013, 12:08:00 am »
'tis an '03  :)

Well I have a '02 (same model as yours - 22ltr) and it did 195 miles to light on which worked out about 47mpg of mostly town riding. I did another 25 in reserve before I filled up at 220 miles and there was still a bit left. That is an impressive range IMO.