Date: 30-04-24  Time: 22:39 pm

Author Topic: FZS1000 Mirror  (Read 2688 times)

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
FZS1000 Mirror
« on: 14 January 2017, 05:34:59 pm »
My Mirror has gone all wobbly. Does anyone know if it can be taken apart to tighten up or shall i bin it and buy a new one. Just thought i'd ask before i wasted any time on it. I had an amazing ride today with some mates and just as i got home the mirror head gave up and the actual mirror has turned skywards.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: FZS1000 Mirror
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2017, 10:57:17 pm »
Hold the stem and try twisting the mirror clockwise

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2017, 05:35:19 pm »
Hold the stem and try twisting the mirror clockwise

It just keeps on turning, as if a captive nut has come out so the whole mechanism is loose.

Mickey

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2017, 05:55:54 pm »
Dunno if the mirror is the same as the ones on the 2002-2003 FZS 600 Foxey?

I had exactly the same problem with one of my mirrors being wobbly and at speed the whole mirror used to move backward from the hinge/swivel point, the original set up is riveted, I tried to tighten the rivet to no avail, so I purchased a new pair of mirrors on EvilBay for about £20 I think it was. Well, they turned out to be the biggest load of crap ever manufactured (Obviously with the exception of the Harley Davidson) As an aside someone told me the best way to increase the power of a Harley Davidson is to buy a smaller plough :rollin

I sent the mirrors back and got a refund. I then stripped out the old mirror, drilled out the rivet and replace it with a 10mm bolt and nylock nut (That's 10mm spanner size not thread diameter) the mirror is now fine and holds station unless I go over about 120 when it slowly folds back so all I can see is my own shoulder, which is not good when you want to see if there is any colour blue behind you.

Any policeman   :bobby reading this post I wish to inform you that this is total fiction, as I am a law abiding citizen. :bobby

My problem is that I need to fold both my mirrors back towards the fairing to pass through a side gate to my house, and this is the thing that shags the swivel point as my mirrors back and forth each time I leave and arrive home, also when tight filtering in slow moving traffic I tend to pull my mirrors back to give more clearance between cars.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2017, 06:44:23 pm »
My mirrors folded back like yours Tommy and at similar speed, but now they swivel at the first joint, nearest the actual mirror. Looking at it, there doesn't seem to be anywhere you can actually get into it. I suppose i should take the whole thing off and have a play. It's Focced already so I'e not lost anything by trying.

Mickey

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2017, 10:33:33 pm »
Don't know if it actually works but I heard that removing  a mirror from the mounting and popping the head/Mirror into quite hot water will sometimes enable you to get the class out of the groove in the mirror head to enable access to the fixing inside, tighten the fixing up and reheat the plastic mirror head back up and clip the mirror glass back in.

NOW I HAVE NEVER TRIED THIS SO I DON'T KNOW IF IT WORKS, BE IT ON YOUR OWN HEAD IF YOU TRY.

If you try and it works let us know, if you try and you cut you hand on the broken mirror class or end up with a bit in your eye I don't want to know.

As I said it is hearsay as I have never heard from anyone who actually says it works in the real world.
Might be worth trying if the mirror is completely shagged, but wear eye protectors and gloves.

tommy lights the fuse and retires a safe distance. :rollin

Just been out to the shed and took a look at my mirrors and to be honest I'm not convinced its possible, but somehow they got the glass in there during manifacture, and the only access is from the front. Dunno

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2017, 10:15:19 am »
I'll give it a try. Nothing bur my eyesight to lose.

Mickey

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2017, 05:56:24 pm »
I'll give it a try. Nothing bur my eyesight to lose.

Mickey
Don't I tried with an old one today and ended up taking a lamination off the face of the glass about half the size of a 5p piece. That bad boy is not coming out :'(

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2017, 12:18:53 pm »
Oh ok,  damn you Mr Yamaha

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 January 2017, 03:36:31 pm »
If it's fuc-ed then just sit on the bike, adjust the mirrors for best vision then pour cyano into the joint, should glue that fucr solid

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 January 2017, 10:37:02 am »
If it's fuc-ed then just sit on the bike, adjust the mirrors for best vision then pour cyano into the joint, should glue that fucr solid
Good call. Might just do that although I've not heard of that glue before

Mickey

Micke