Date: 17-05-24  Time: 02:29 am

Author Topic: How Many Miles  (Read 5355 times)

tex1507

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
How Many Miles
« on: 28 September 2016, 02:23:28 pm »
Hi All,

What is the reasonable amount of miles I should expect to get out of my Fazer before seriously having to
consider trading it in?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Miles
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2016, 03:15:00 pm »

If you mean "When does it cease to have significant trade-in value?", then most dealers will have lost interest at around 35,000 miles and will only take it to sell on to a breaker.
If you mean "How long does a FZS600 last?", then there's no real limit while there's an ample supply of perfectly good bikes being dismantled. I'm happy to spend as much as the bike is worth on spares each year because it works out cheaper than the depreciation on a new bike.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2016, 04:00:11 pm »
I've just tipped over the 60k miles with NO major issues. Can't think who it is but someone is well over the 100K....sure they'll post up soon  :thumbup
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2016, 06:05:52 pm »
Providing you warm her up, keep her in half-decent oil / coolant and don't bounce it off the redline all the time you're out for a spin, she should get to at least 70k before giving any proper grief.
Mine is just about to hit 50k and still going great  :)   

However, as mentioned by Fazerider earlier she won't really be worth anything once she hits big-ish mileages, more profitable to break her up for parts

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 September 2016, 07:35:03 pm »
I'm on 45K with no issues whatsoever, major or minor. Just consumables - tyres, pads, batteries, chain etc

fazersarg

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 September 2016, 08:26:16 pm »
i broke a 600 fazer a few years ago with 110000 miles it still run well the gearbox was shot tho on the other hand i broke a 600 fazer with just 4500 miles the guy had flipped it and bent the frame still got the engine some were.

misterjayb1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 September 2016, 08:36:24 pm »
Sell it privately, so many dealers are offering zilch for decent Fazer trade ins.. Imo the first big drop in value starts the minute you hit 20k miles.. Seen a few reach 100k miles.. Sadly mileage has become such a big dictator of value, particularly on bikes..
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2016, 09:41:23 pm »
86000 miles on mine, bought it new in November 2003 with 1 mile on the clock. Still sounding sweet
Only major problem was the sprocket nut which was finally resolved by my own fix. (documented in the downloads section).
Connector on the main wire to the ignition corroded from arcing and burned out and the side stand switch stopped working recently.
Replaced the connector and cleaned up the internals of the side stand switch.
Connector took 30 minutes to replace  :) and side stand switch took 2 hours to take off clean and put back on.  :eek No engine out just a little ingenuity   :thumbup

New Motad down pipes at 84000 miles a year ago.

Only other changes were hyperpro fork springs and Hagon rear shock

Not used as often as it was, since there are 2 other bikes in the garage.

Fazer 1000 has 48000 km (6000km when bought by my son in 2010) and Serow has 34000 km (21000Km when I bought int in 2011)

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 September 2016, 10:05:06 pm »
Sell it privately, so many dealers are offering zilch for decent Fazer trade ins.. Imo the first big drop in value starts the minute you hit 20k miles.. Seen a few reach 100k miles.. Sadly mileage has become such a big dictator of value, particularly on bikes..

Totally agree with the 20K mile syndrome on bikes..........same as cars hitting 100k. All bullshit if you look after them.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 September 2016, 05:24:47 am »
The youngest FZS 600 Foxeyes are now 13 years old and are now seen as "emerging classics". As far as trade in values go they are "off the scale" at 5 years old & 20,000 miles as far as dealers are concerned. They wont want to spend money on a trade in to resell in the showroom with a warranty. My local Yamaha main dealer doesnt even want to do the valve reshimming on my 01 plate 600 as they put it "Due to its age"!
So forget trading in-either sell privately or better still keep on top of the maintenance(a lot of this is preventative anyway designed to avoid unnecessary costs down the line) and ride your Fazer into the future :lol .
With a bit of mechanical sympathy & use of decent oil these engines should be good for >100,000 miles. It is more likely that untreated corrosion of frame or electrical issues will bring you to wrong MOT result.
If you buy a new bike then as soon as you ride out of the dealer it has depreciated and then you have to factor in cost of finance deal(if any) including loss of any interest the money would otherwise have earned. also you become tied in to servicing costs at dealer while bike under warranty.
Its funny how manufacturers/dealers suddenly regard something they sold new a few years ago as virtually valueless-but they are in business to sell.
If we always bought bikes with our heads without emotion many of us would probably be a lot richer-but bikes are not the same as other consumer durables.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 September 2016, 06:21:30 am »
86000 miles on mine, bought it new in November 2003 with 1 mile on the clock. Still sounding sweet
Only major problem was the sprocket nut which was finally resolved by my own fix. (documented in the downloads section).
Connector on the main wire to the ignition corroded from arcing and burned out and the side stand switch stopped working recently.
Replaced the connector and cleaned up the internals of the side stand switch.
Connector took 30 minutes to replace  :) and side stand switch took 2 hours to take off clean and put back on.  :eek No engine out just a little ingenuity   :thumbup

New Motad down pipes at 84000 miles a year ago.

Only other changes were hyperpro fork springs and Hagon rear shock

Not used as often as it was, since there are 2 other bikes in the garage.

Fazer 1000 has 48000 km (6000km when bought by my son in 2010) and Serow has 34000 km (21000Km when I bought int in 2011)

"...no engine out, just a little ingenuity..."

Please don't stop there, i have another sitting in my top box which is likely to stay there forever as i've got used to not having it, but now i'm intrigued on how you removed then refitted another side stand switch without the major kerfuffle?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

misterjayb1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 September 2016, 08:13:52 am »
The dealer smirked at my last of the foxeye 03 model with 12k miles, 1 prev owner and all the bits.. £800 max was his verdict as no one wants these anymore he quoted.. I know full well it would have a £1995 price tag once in their hands.. As said before, they are a in the business to make money at the end of the day. It always makes me smile me when they grab that little used price guide book without even bothering to take a look at the bike in question.. I am an Ebay type of buyer/seller at the end of the day but life would be so much easier to walk into a dealer get a proper fair deal and walk away sorted.. Im yet to find that and probably never will..

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 September 2016, 11:14:43 am »
The dealer smirked at my last of the foxeye 03 model with 12k miles, 1 prev owner and all the bits.. £800 max was his verdict as no one wants these anymore he quoted.. I know full well it would have a £1995 price tag once in their hands.. As said before, they are a in the business to make money at the end of the day. It always makes me smile me when they grab that little used price guide book without even bothering to take a look at the bike in question.. I am an Ebay type of buyer/seller at the end of the day but life would be so much easier to walk into a dealer get a proper fair deal and walk away sorted.. Im yet to find that and probably never will..

Very true, do your homework and buy and sell privately, you'll save money.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 September 2016, 11:56:01 am »

Very true, do your homework and buy and sell privately, you'll save money.

A couple of years ago I was looking at a stripple and the dealer didn't even want to commit to a value on my bike until I virtually all but agreed to buy the stripple.
I foc-ed off at that point and decided I didn't want a different bike and a couple of months later the dealership closed down.

I agree I have no problem with the dealer making a profit but a little honesty from them wouldn't go amiss.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Kentish

• Club Racer
  • I am the man
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 October 2016, 10:17:50 pm »
I have 27k now on min but the one before I had done around 160,000. It had only ever had oil changes I shit you not...

I test rode the new tracer 700 last week, Very tempted to buy it I was until I got back on my fazer and realised that a 13 year old bike is better to ride that a 2016 model.  The foxeye fazers were the best ones and will smoke many a new bike these days...

ER6fs,NC750s,Tracers,bandits,GSXF's,CBR650s,CB500's,MT07's,MTY09's.

The fazer will SMOKE the lot of them.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 October 2016, 08:35:20 am »
Well the only thing that commonly kills a high mileage fazer are associated with fairly major engine components.

Camchain failure, gearbox failure, exhaust studs falling off.

A garage would probably charge you £300-500 to put any of these things right. But if you're handy at switching an engine over, you can pick up a complete unit for £250-300 and sort it yourself. If you're even handier with a set of spanners, it's not a difficult engine to overhaul and most things can be sorted and replaced for £100-150.

With parts still readily available, I think this is why fazers tend to hold there value and not vary much between £900-1200 when being bought and sold.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 October 2016, 08:37:56 am »
I just rebuilt my gearbox at 40,000 miles. Everything else in side the engine looked like new!
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Paul

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 October 2016, 12:32:17 pm »
Mines done 86,000.
Had it from new.
But you can here the cam chain and the valves, it sounds a bit like someone shaking a tin half filled with lightly oiled washers. 
It still pulls well but it does use oil....... it will empty the sight glass window in under two thousand miles.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 October 2016, 11:40:04 pm »
I have 27k now on min but the one before I had done around 160,000. It had only ever had oil changes I shit you not...

I test rode the new tracer 700 last week, Very tempted to buy it I was until I got back on my fazer and realised that a 13 year old bike is better to ride that a 2016 model.  The foxeye fazers were the best ones and will smoke many a new bike these days...

And 600 Blades, ZX-6R and a fuel injected Fazer.........all 3 in one hit, all 4 of us going for it  :lol
« Last Edit: 03 October 2016, 11:40:36 pm by Frosties »

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 October 2016, 08:37:00 pm »
Mines done 86,000.
Had it from new.
But you can here the cam chain and the valves, it sounds a bit like someone shaking a tin half filled with lightly oiled washers. 
It still pulls well but it does use oil....... it will empty the sight glass window in under two thousand miles.

:lol  Just like a classic Brit bike from the 60's, comes with a free oil leak!
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

misterjayb1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 October 2016, 09:05:11 pm »

Surely a even a fazer foxeye 600 would be sweating up against any variation of the MT09?

Kentish

• Club Racer
  • I am the man
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 October 2016, 08:32:29 pm »
No..Because you can tuck right in on a fazer. the MT09 you are more upright and have you ever tried riding one fast?

The first thing to be blown off is your head. ..

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 October 2016, 09:33:44 pm »
I've owned 4 Fazer 600's, and covered well over 100k on them. After riding MT09's and the XSR 900, I can safely say that sub 100mph, I can ride the XSR a damn sight quicker!
Not much in it for acceleration, but there's little in it up to 100 on most bikes!!! It handles better than the fazer, and has better all round punch than its 20+ year old rival.

I'm buying an XSR for play, but my fazers staying too for my commute!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Kentish

• Club Racer
  • I am the man
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 October 2016, 09:37:32 pm »
What I don't understand is why buy a new say ER6F for £6500 when an old fazer is a better bike.

XSR is that naked?

I tried an NC750 also and I can safely say a fazer is a better bike

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 October 2016, 10:41:30 pm »
I've owned 4 Fazer 600's, and covered well over 100k on them. After riding MT09's and the XSR 900, I can safely say that sub 100mph, I can ride the XSR a damn sight quicker!
Not much in it for acceleration, but there's little in it up to 100 on most bikes!!! It handles better than the fazer, and has better all round punch than its 20+ year old rival.

I'm buying an XSR for play, but my fazers staying too for my commute!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't think we're comparing apples with apples. The Fazer is a true all rounder - scratcher, commuter, tourer etc...much like your/my Tiger. The XSR is a fun commuter bike designed primarily NOT for motorways/touring etc. The R1 is a fun/grin factor bike.

Bottom line is that Fazers are well proven, reliable all rounders good for many trouble free miles which is what the OP was referring to.
« Last Edit: 06 October 2016, 11:03:50 pm by Frosties »