Date: 27-04-24  Time: 19:58 pm

Author Topic: Halfords sale - pimp my garage  (Read 3332 times)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Halfords sale - pimp my garage
« on: 27 February 2015, 10:25:08 am »
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Halfords sale - pimp my garage
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2015, 10:32:03 am »
I do love my set of ratchet spanners from them and it would be great to have a proper tool chest... but I just can't afford it right now :(

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2015, 11:58:16 am »
Dont suppose theres any torque wrenches on sale is there?
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Estuarybiker

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2015, 01:15:24 pm »
Well spotted!  That's a bargain!

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2015, 01:45:25 pm »

Don't you have any?  :eek

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2015, 02:32:10 pm »

Dont forget he is in deepest darkest Wales, things take time to reach there
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

odbguy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2015, 02:51:51 pm »
Awww :( ..
I need a bigger garage and a better paid job !!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2015, 08:39:57 pm »

Well i defo need some.

Ive undone so much stuff now that ill be paranoid to ride it if i dont know it is dne up properly.

Ive never even seen one......how the foc do you torque up Allen heads.....do torque wrencges come with an atachment?....by wrench they sound like they only do good old fashioned bolts.

Deadeye what one did you go for in the end...got a feeling it was halfords...whats the best range to have for stuff like fork yoke clamps/handlebars/suspension linkages etc???

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2015, 08:58:35 pm »

......how the foc do you torque up Allen heads.....do torque wrencges come with an atachment?....by wrench they sound like they only do good old fashioned bolts.

You can get a set of adapters that fit Allen heads and the other end fits into a normal hexagon socket that would fit your torque wrench. A torque wrench would not come with them.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2015, 09:07:13 pm »

......how the foc do you torque up Allen heads.....do torque wrencges come with an atachment?....by wrench they sound like they only do good old fashioned bolts.

You can get a set of adapters that fit Allen heads and the other end fits into a normal hexagon socket that would fit your torque wrench. A torque wrench would not come with them.

Cheers Limax that explains it mate.

I already goosed my throttle housing overtightening it today and no doubt some others will be too loose so i best get a set.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 February 2015, 09:40:24 pm »

Well i defo need some.

Ive undone so much stuff now that ill be paranoid to ride it if i dont know it is dne up properly.

Ive never even seen one......how the foc do you torque up Allen heads.....do torque wrencges come with an atachment?....by wrench they sound like they only do good old fashioned bolts.

Deadeye what one did you go for in the end...got a feeling it was halfords...whats the best range to have for stuff like fork yoke clamps/handlebars/suspension linkages etc???

I have 4... oops

I have a Draper 1/2" drive (30-200Nm), a Silverline 1/2" drive (30-160Nm I think), a Draper 3/8" drive (10-80Nm) and a 1/4" drive (5-30Nm) which I don't remember the brand of

The Halfords torque wrenches are rather expensive in my opinion so I got my Draper 1/2" from Amazon for about half the price, plus its a good name imo :)

You're better off having the 1/2" drive than the others imo as this will deal with the more important bolts such as the axles and suspension stuff. Most of the other bolts are around 20-40Nm which isn't as tight as you think - usually about wrist tight + 1/4 turn at a guess. If you want to be precise on these, the 3/8" would be the best bet but it won't go high enough for the aforementioned stuff (rear axle on the Gen 1 is 150Nm)

As for Allen heads, I have a 1/4" socket and a set of various Allen bits that fit in to it so I can use any of my ratchet wrenches on them :) Plus I have a 1/4" screw driver for the same reason so that it can just swap between various bits.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 February 2015, 09:44:19 pm »

Well i defo need some.

I have 4... oops

I have a Draper 1/2" drive (30-200Nm), a Silverline 1/2" drive (30-160Nm I think), a Draper 3/8" drive (10-80Nm) and a 1/4" drive (5-30Nm) which I don't remember the brand of

The Halfords torque wrenches are rather expensive in my opinion so I got my Draper 1/2" from Amazon for about half the price, plus its a good name imo :)

You're better off having the 1/2" drive than the others imo as this will deal with the more important bolts such as the axles and suspension stuff. Most of the other bolts are around 20-40Nm which isn't as tight as you think - usually about wrist tight + 1/4 turn at a guess. If you want to be precise on these, the 3/8" would be the best bet but it won't go high enough for the aforementioned stuff (rear axle on the Gen 1 is 150Nm)

As for Allen heads, I have a 1/4" socket and a set of various Allen bits that fit in to it so I can use any of my ratchet wrenches on them :) Plus I have a 1/4" screw driver for the same reason so that it can just swap between various bits.

Cool thanks mate. Can see the logic with the 30-200 & thats quite a spread and ill give amazon a view or check out if theres any sales on in Halfords on these particulars. :thumbup

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #12 on: 27 February 2015, 10:15:12 pm »
I'm with deadeye one that. Halfords torque wrenches are overpriced. I have 3 torque wrenches. 5-25NM, 19-120NM & 110-200NM. 2 the same brand (can't remember what) and one from Aldi for £16. All  came calibrated, but I had them calibrated anyway at the same time. The Aldi one was nearly spot on. It was around £100 all in. I will have them calibrated again in a year or so.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 February 2015, 12:36:06 pm »
Further to my earlier reply about torquing hex. Allen screws you can also get a small socket set purpose made for the job as here
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-professional-8-piece-hex-bit-socket-rail-3-8

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 March 2015, 04:20:04 pm »
You should only buy Halfords professional tools when they are on sale, which is quiet often.

Reminds me of the joke, My mate is so unlucky he bought a sofa from DFS when they didn't have a sale on!