Date: 01-05-24  Time: 17:41 pm

Author Topic: Chop Chop  (Read 4150 times)

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB1300S & Sports Sidecar
    • View Profile
Chop Chop
« on: 16 December 2011, 02:46:41 pm »
Hi Guys,

I am considering buying an electric chainsaw from Amazon .. including shipping to Spain (I need the instructions and stuff in English!)  The make and model is :-

RYOBI RC-S 1835 240v 1800w

We have a small wood burner stove and I need to cut logs not trees. 

Does anyone have experience of using this type of tool?  Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on the use of such tools (I am aware of the need for 100% safety).  Does anyone have any suggestions of an alternative make and model?

Cheers  :)    Polar Bear

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
Re: Chop Chop
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2011, 06:50:06 pm »
Trev, You need to get one of these matey.
It's an MS880 with a 48" bar and 120cc motor, Eight and half HP stroke motor that realy packs a punch. Good for demolishing wooden houses and large trees. Ideal for cutting logs for your burner.

We ( http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/ ) can do it for under £930.00 (engine unit only). Try pull starting this baby without using the decompression valve  :lol . I saw my govner trying to start one without fuel once. Poor bloke nearly had a heart attack. It's a heavy lump to hold as well. With the 48" bar on (pictered) it's a strugle turning it through 90°, let alone trying to hold still to do your first cut. It's a little tallet than me.

Read on...

... On seconds thoughts it might be a bit large.

We don't sell any Ryobi so I can't coment on their products but looks to be okay for domestic use. As you say safety is a very important consideration. Practice running it before cutting with it. Get used to the chain break operation before use. There are usefull on our website about looking after the bar and rotating parts. Checking you have enough chain oil is important. Let the saw do the work and don't force it into the wood because the bar will wear unevenly and shag your chain.  The chain tension has to be loose enough to pull away from the middle of the bar to about 3-5 mm, or just enough to see a daylight between the guide rail (bar) and the drive links on the chain but tight enough to snap back when you let it go. To check you have enough oil running hold the end of the bar about an inch off the ground and run the machine. After about 5 secs there should be a fine film of oil laid. You should be able to feel the oil on the ground with your finger. If you can't lift any oil with your finger and the ground feesl dry you need to adjust. However your finger should not be dripping with oil. Check oil at regular intervals. The oil it thinker and runs slower when it's cold, just like a snottoiler... But you're in Spain.  :lol

Have a look here:
http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/category/useful-stuff/machine-maintenance/

and here:
http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/category/useful-stuff/machine-use/

Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2011, 06:57:37 pm »
Must remember to spell ckech  :rollin

The oil it thinker and runs slower when it's cold

The oil it thicker and runs slower when it's cold.

Look I've had a beer and I'm tired from a hard days graft.
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2011, 06:58:48 pm »
The oil is thicker and runs slower when it's cold

:rollin

Where's the focin edit button?

BIG MAC

• Thinks custom titles are stupid!
  • GP Hero
  • New site same sh1te ;-)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 December 2011, 07:19:25 pm »
Hi Trev I am a petrol chainsaw kinda guy but wanted an electric one so that noise didn't piss my neighbours off in France (Obviously using the saw in France too) I bought a €70 jobbie from Leclerc (Supermarche) not expecting too much of it...usual drill ...Oregon 16" bar etc..The thing is brilliant! far exceeding my expectations and now weapon of choice over the trusty McUlloch.
I was so impressed I bought a Spear and Jackson one in the UK for £89 (If memory serves) same story...brilliant for what I want.
They are ideal if you buy a log cutting bench as they are sop cheap you can just leave one bolted to the 'arm' permanently...use decent chain oil and chains...happy chopping!
The Frying Scotsman

oldmotherfoccer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • WWW.FATMAGGOT.COM
« Reply #5 on: 16 December 2011, 08:44:55 pm »
had petrol chainsaw for years went tits up so i bought an electric one from aldi reduced to 49.99 have to say it beats the petrol one handsdown, just needed to put an mp3 of a "real chainsaw" as the noise is not so good, but for £50 you wont be dissapointed
Fat Maggot Clothing Company - remember FOCU15 to claim your foccers discount

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 December 2011, 11:51:07 am »
I had my doubts about electric chainsaws until I was given one as a Christmas present 5 years ago. 1800W is ample power, it cuts fast and quietly and doesn't leave me stinking of two-stroke fumes... a joy to use.
Safety: plug in via an RCD.
Maintenance: Get a 3/32" (probably, check that's the right size for your chain) round file to keep the cutting edges in tip-top condition. If progress seems slow or you're getting dust (or smoke) from the log rather than a hail of little chippings you've a long job ahead... best to sharpen each link with a few light strokes after each session than leave it until you notice it's getting bad.
Grit/sand from soil is very bad for chains... cutting through dirty roots will blunt it in seconds.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 December 2011, 12:43:53 pm »
Check out the woodburning pages on the Green Living Forum.

http://www.thegreenlivingforum.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=21&sid=98b2857e6f47e1c2f449d3697f8b68fb

Not got a chainsaw yet, but it's on my mind, though I'm still trying to convince myself that plenty of action with a hand saw is good for me.

fazed600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki GSXR1000 K7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2011, 08:54:47 pm »
I've gone the other way. Used to use an electric Hitachi (not sure of the power) but found it too limiting. In the summer I bought a Tanaka 43cc 2.5hp 2 stroke with an 18" bar, which is great. I've also been able to do a few jobs to get wood from places I wouldn't be able to with an electric.

Had a look at spending more money on a Stihl or Husqvarna but found they only offered a 1-2 year warranty, Tanaka's come with a 5 year warranty for domestic use, which seems the best.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 December 2011, 07:44:08 am »
trev
this all sounds a bit dangerous for an old timer like yerself ! ...depending on the thickness of logs, an alternative could be an all purpose saw with appropriate replaceable blade...or even a small chopsaw. Both are considerably safer and easier to maintain.
Having said that, if its chainsaws u want, a mate of mine uses a small leccy one to cut branches up to 100mm or so with ease.He has  a garden wood burner and chops up pallets and tree branches etc.Its quiet and quite efficient .
As a builder I get loads of offcut wood...I have a garden chimnea which I feed with approx 9" - 12" timber off cuts( anything from 2 x2 to 8x2 etc) , chopped up with  a jigsaw( timber only 2" thick) , then split down the grain into chunks about 2" square which fits the fire nicely , burns quickly and easily.

Trouble is, they dont take prisoners these chainsaws !  :o

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB1300S & Sports Sidecar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 December 2011, 02:03:53 pm »
El Muchos Thankos for all the replies guys  :)

In particular Ad the Bad for his expert input and Lord Jon for his very sincere concerns .. bloody kids  :\ .   I take your point Jon .. however I don't know many blokes who have lived a more dangerous life than me  :eek  If however I do chop a leg off .. you can have first dibs on the spare Flip Flop (very low mileage, size 10)

So .. after full consideration of all the points raised and the research done .. I have decided to go ahead with the Ryobi RC-S 1835 Jobby .. cos it seems to tick almost all my box's  :)

Thanks again for ALL the input .. much appreciated.

Stay Safe  ;)    Trev The Polar Bear.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 December 2011, 07:31:56 am »
hey ... that is my size trev !    :lol

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #12 on: 20 December 2011, 09:17:36 am »
pity your in spain Trev,

we have a table saw that is now surplus to requirements you could've had!

anyone intrested, only small problem is its in Cornwall!!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!