Date: 28-04-24  Time: 12:44 pm

Author Topic: Snapped LH foot peg  (Read 1821 times)

brianjonze

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Snapped LH foot peg
« on: 14 January 2014, 06:23:12 pm »
Some unhelpful sod evidently hit the foot peg while the bike was parked the other day, and the peg now spins, which is unfortunate when it goes far enough around to fold away!

What is involved in changing this out? And does anyone have one if these in their spares box they would sell me?

Gen 1 fzs6 1999.

Thanks!

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Snapped LH foot peg
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2014, 08:29:25 pm »
Unfortunate but could have been a lot worse. Like bike knocked over  :( .
There is a very good chance all you need to do is tighten up the socket head bolt that holds the footrest on from behind it. You will probably find the swinging arm gets in the way so you may need to unbolt or at least slacken off the aluminium carrier that is held to the frame lug with two socket head bolts. Not sure off hand but probably a 6mm allen key needed, maybe same or bigger for the footrest bolt.
There is a flat on the footrest boss that locates with a flat in the aluminium. It is not a right good fit when new so don't worry if that flat is a bit distorted in the aluminium as a result of the bump.
I would do the tightening as soon as possible because if the loose bolt drops out the footrest will also disappear and the gear change or rear brake lever will be left dangling in mid air. Not good.  :'( 
« Last Edit: 14 January 2014, 08:30:18 pm by limax2 »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2014, 09:49:14 pm »
Sorry but I dont like the phrase "changing out" or swaped out as it is a stupid american thing along the lines of "can I get" er ---no its could I have
Anyway limax is right about the flat on the footrest boss that locates with a flat in the aluminium and it could be that its rounded a bit - but it would also have to be loose to spin. From memory thew alen bolt at the back is about 10mm - it is big I know that and has factory blue thread lock on it which makes for it very tight, I had to hold it in a vice to undo it when I polished up the gear change arm and stuff.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2014, 07:49:01 am »
it is a stupid american thing along the lines of "can I get" er ---no its could I have

Errr nope - it's "please may I have." The answer to "could" is simply "yes"!!

I hate "can i get" and randomly pull people up on it in London for a laugh. The looks you get (heh its London !). They actually do change their request to "please may.......". Try it sometime with a straight face you'll be amazed  :lol :lol
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2014, 08:43:26 am »

:hijack

it is a stupid american thing along the lines of "can I get" er ---no its could I have
Errr nope - it's "please may I have." The answer to "could" is simply "yes"!!

...but the answer to "please may I have?", or indeed any question regarding entitlement, is still just Y/N.  You need to completely remove the question and just shout "Get me a tea!", especially in London.  :lol   Am I right, guys, am I right?!?!
« Last Edit: 15 January 2014, 08:46:40 am by Buzz »
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2014, 09:47:12 am »

Ironically, for a post that criticises Americanisms, Fasersharp has a good example of the spurious preposition.
What exactly is the "for" for in "makes for it…"?
Ah well, it's not that big of a deal.

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 January 2014, 09:56:54 am »
If you're not planning to have it off again in the near furture, I would use a bit of threadlock again. I didn't once before and it came loose on it's own after a while.

brianjonze

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 January 2014, 04:53:01 pm »
Many thanks for the responses guys, I shall have a look at it as soon as I can - the bike has to make it home tonight first!

Apologies for the unwitting Americanism. My defence is that I am dating one, I have fallen into bad linguistic habits..