Date: 21-05-24  Time: 21:39 pm

Author Topic: Pads - Galfer or SBS.  (Read 1232 times)

CaptainCazador

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Pads - Galfer or SBS.
« on: 13 November 2015, 03:26:33 pm »
My bike is due new pads very soon front and rear I was all set on SBS ceramic. Very impressed with the ones I fitted to the rear compared to the ones that were in they have lasted approximately 7/8 thousand miles (fitted them in April) which isn't too bad.

Front current pads I think must be OEM they seem to be taking an age to wear out the bike is now approaching 35K I got it with 23K showing in February this year and I don't believe they have ever been changed sound about right?

Anyway as I was browsing ebay I came across some galfer semi metallic street rear brake pads for £14.95 that is with a 40% saving another search found the fronts can be had for £16.95 per caliper 37% saving.

So how do galfer pads compare with SBS? I am tempted to get the SBS for the front and try the galfer ones in the rear but that would send my OCD into over drive.  :wall
« Last Edit: 13 November 2015, 03:45:49 pm by CaptainCazador »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Pads - Galfer or SBS.
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2015, 04:11:45 pm »
Haha, it just so happens I have Galfer on the front and have had SBS Ceramic on the back.

Galfer up front have been really good, worn evenly, don't fall apart around the edges, and are very kind to the discs. I've had them on the bike for what has got to be nearly 3 years now and they are still going very strong, so I think are well worth the money.
Not sure why Calsport sell them so cheap on Ebay because they're full price on their website?

I've had sintered (semi metallic) on the rear before and they ate a brand new EBC Pro Lite disc in under a year. I will mention though I was having issues with my front at the time so was using the rear more than I should have. but even still it was like the disc was made of cheese.

From that experience alone I tried SBS Ceramic on the rear and they were much better.
I'm not keen on organic so much, especially on the rear as the extra pad dust can clog up the pistons much easier, although right now I'm using OEM Yamaha pads on the rear that were in 'like new' condition in a brake caliper I bought from another foccer.   
Not entirely sure what compound they're s'posed to be, probably softer though?

Got a new set of SBS Ceramics already waiting in my top box ready to replace the rear pads when they're eventually needed.
« Last Edit: 13 November 2015, 06:48:38 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

CaptainCazador

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2015, 02:02:47 pm »
Interesting Darrsi I also have a wavy rear disc not sure what make it is though.

Anyway I have gone with Galfers for the front and another set of SBS for the rear. I will draw my own conclusions as to  which I prefer in due course and replace as and when with my favoured pad.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2015, 02:23:34 pm »
I have wavy discs front and rear.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.