Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:31 pm

Author Topic: Foccin’ YamahApathy  (Read 7701 times)

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Foccin’ YamahApathy
« on: 20 May 2022, 02:31:42 pm »

Kia ora Foccers young and auld, I hope you and yours are going foccin’ splendidly in these “interesting” times we all find ourselves in.

Alas it seems that it’s not only Suzuki that are looking to withdraw from the status quo of the motorcycle world this year, we here at Foc-U are contemplating the same.

It’s no secret that Bob and I have been struggling to find the time that our beloved forum needs recently.
I say Bob and I, but in reality it’s Bob that has been running things for at least two years, if not more, as aside from footing the bill for 8 years, I just haven’t been in the personal space to give time to Foc-U at all.
Thankfully Bob has been willing to cover not only the costs for this year, but also the day to day running of the forum, so we ALL need to acknowledge this and owe him thanks ( and a pint or five when you see him next) for doing so.

Around December I posted on the forum that we were looking for admins and was desperately disappointed at the lack of responses from Foccers willing to take on the mantle of Admin/Mods.
I’m unsure if it’s Pandemic, social media or apathy reasons, but I’ve seen more interest in bunking with Heath, Ginge and I at the Spring Meet than I saw in that post.

As much as it pains me to admit, the offers to buy out the Forum from folks looking to cash in on the historical success and member base is starting to make more and more sense to both myself and Bob.

This post is really a last ditch effort to see if any of you magnificent Foccers are willing to take on the challenge of bringing Foc-U into the 2020s with an integrated forum and social media base through time, enthusiasm, expertise and perhaps a little coin, or whether I should face up to the fact that the Halcyon days of the board have long since past and look at getting out whilst the getting is good.

So…

This is the last call for any interested parties to step forward and take on the role of Admins from Bob & I to move Foc-U into the ‘20s before we, reluctantly, look at selling the domain rights and historical archives of posts to the interested commercial parties.

I hope some of you, like me, don’t want to see the auld girl tarted up with adverts and banners and are willing to take us on our journey for the next decade as I (kinda) have since moving from Yuku to this iteration, but if not please don’t complain down the line when you need to log in with your card details handy…

Take care, stay safe and I hope you all keep it shiny side up.
Love ’n hugs,
Aegis
« Last Edit: 20 May 2022, 02:46:10 pm by Aegis Bearing Mel »

ThePalePrimate

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Foccin’ YamahApathy
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2022, 03:43:52 pm »
I was a member way back (15 years?) and returned to the forum just recently as I had been away from bikes for that time.

I was surprised and disappointed by how quiet things were but put it down to the Fazer being out of production etc.

Sad to hear that this is the way things are going but obviously it's totally understandable if you think it's time to sell up. Sounds like you've been carrying it for a while.

Is be happy to pay subs and help moderate but I work full time and have small children so I'm not going to be able to be a big part in all this. The offer's there if you want it.

Whatever you decide to do, thanks for all your hard work. I know we've all benefitted from like minded company over the years at once time or other.

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2022, 09:18:18 am »
It would be sad to see this site go, there is a lot of useful information on here, I've been a member since 2016 when i got my gen1 but only started posting when I got my gen2. I think the apathy has a few reasons, fazers are becoming a dying breed as are us foccers seems we are mostly older gents who grew up before the Internet was invented plus there are 1000 other things to do on the Internet, I mean how else are people going to keep up with Johnny and Amber. Personally I avoid as much social media as possible I like the old school appeal of forums like this.

I'd like to say a big thank you to the adminis, mods and contributers who have kept this place up and running over the years.

I'm afraid I have only a rudimentary grasp of Unix servers, although it would be an honour to be part of the admin team I wouldn't want to balls things up or make promises I couldn't keep.

Peace ✌
*Disclaimer*
Nothing I say should in any way be taken as a good idea 😄

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2022, 02:35:47 pm »
There are no plans for the site to go, it will be owned and run by someone else though unless someone with the skills and time to get this site back where it belongs.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2022, 12:52:59 am »
One of the problems is that many people have started using Fazer forums on Facebook etc, because they're accessible along with all their other regular social media content.

I've been Moderating an FZ6 Facebook group for the last couple of months and have just been promoted to Admin (mostsly for dealing with all the spam!) and another FZ6 group has just asked me to become a Moderator too.

I am, of course, already a Mod in here, but there's precious little regular content or interaction compared to the FB groups.

If people ask non FZ6 questions on FB I point them to the FOC-U group on there, rather than to here.

FazThou

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2022, 10:07:24 am »
So it looks like all that knowledge on here will be lost !!!!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2022, 02:26:04 pm »
So it looks like all that knowledge on here will be lost !!!!

Not lost, just gone somewhere else...