Date: 01-05-24  Time: 06:14 am

Author Topic: Changing the end can  (Read 5147 times)

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Changing the end can
« on: 02 January 2013, 03:07:05 pm »
Hey Guys!

Ok So I have just seen a original end can for sale on ebay and wanted to know how would I put it back on my bike?

I currently have a Delkevic on there but I think it is taking power away from me because I have my restrictors in anyway, I don't think it is helping.

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
Re: Changing the end can
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2013, 03:17:36 pm »
the standard end can sould fit stright on,they have the link pipe fitted to them so its just a case of take your can and link pipe off and bolting on,you will prob need te sealing gasket tho

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2013, 04:59:31 pm »
yeah it just two bolts. one at the passenger footrest and one where the downpipes join to the can.

the standard end can sould fit stright on,they have the link pipe fitted to them so its just a case of take your can and link pipe off and bolting on,you will prob need te sealing gasket tho

mark do you know if those gaskets are a standard type part, would you get them in any motorfactors or are they specific to the fazer?

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2013, 05:55:21 pm »
there is a gauze type gasket fitted between the header(or manifold depending on what you want to call them)these are specific to the bike(might fit other bikes)so not something you can get from halfrauds etc you could maybe use exhaust paste etc instead

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 January 2013, 12:33:47 am »
I doubt it's an exhaust issue, you could be wasting your time?
You're still trying to get more power out of a restricted bike?
The word restricted could be the answer to your woes......
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2013, 01:10:39 am »

I tested rode my mates FZS600 who is restricted and his felt a lot more powerful.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 January 2013, 07:42:42 am »
Why do you think people put aftermarket exhausts on then?
Its to derestrict the engine and allow it to breath easier and therefore gain power.
I think you previous comment is phsycological, due to the fact the the standard exhaust sounds smoother and therefore more powerful.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 January 2013, 01:07:25 pm »
iv found some engines(in standard form) are better with standard cans than aftermarket,some might have more top end power but mid or bottom range etc suffers but its all just personal taste,iv got an unbranded carbon oval on my 600 and altho it sounds and looks  nice the mid range suffers againt the standard can! if i can find a nice standard can with no dints etc i might just go back to stock full time!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 January 2013, 01:12:29 pm »

I tested rode my mates FZS600 who is restricted and his felt a lot more powerful.

How long have we got left before you unrestrict your bike?

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 January 2013, 02:21:31 pm »
Sounds like you've just cought the fettling bug lewis, to be honest i cant believe ive resisted so long not buying and changing stuff,it's all good fun, my verdict though- off with his head!....ahem erm.....i mean - off with the restrictor kit! :b

Im gonna buy an aftermarket can soon, mainly coz they look cool,and sound good and i realise it may or may not perform quite the same but to be honest there will still be more than enough power than i can use so if i lose some mid range im not bothered.

I had a type -r with a k&n typhoon filter,i was happy just goin in & out of the v-tech to hear it growl regardless of how fast i was going,depends what's important to you.

If most 400cc bikes weren't made for hobbits i'd probably have one as i like the idea of using all of the available power.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 January 2013, 02:51:48 pm »
In my experience the standard can is best for low to mid power.Having said that I have a baffled carbon can co end can on at the moment. The extra noise is a love hate type relationship, also the oval can looks right and loses quite a bit of weight over my alternative tatty standard exhaust

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 January 2013, 04:37:45 pm »

How long have we got left before you unrestrict your bike?

March 2014 :(

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 January 2013, 05:14:01 pm »
going back to a standard can isn't going to make a restricted bike any faster or slower but it might make it feel a bit faster. my bike came with an aftermarket can and i got an oem one to compare the two and i'd have to say at low speed the oem made the bike feel smoother and more powerful. i stayed with the aftermarket one though because i think when you're commuting and doing a lot of filtering the more noise you can make the safer you are

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 January 2013, 05:34:30 pm »
Hi,
My Fazer is restricted (how i brought it) i thought the first thing i would do would be to get the resrticters out (last bike i had was an R1 for 7 years) when i rode the Fazer it had lots of low/ mid range that i still havnt unrestricted it :eek
However mine has the Yamaha 33bhp kit fitted which  has different carb needles and stiffer throttle springs not the exhaust type 33 bhp kit, its goes well up to about 7500 Rpm and then not a lot happens :'(
when i fitted the Micron race end can (had Motad Nexxus front piped allready fitted :D ) it reved quicker.
If your localish (Heathrow) we can go out for a ride and compare side by side??
Mark

arch33angel

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 January 2013, 07:37:07 pm »
You can get that sealing gasket on Fleabay for about £6 inc postage.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 January 2013, 09:34:44 pm »
its goes well up to about 7500 Rpm and then not a lot happens :'(
I tend to find it doesn't do that much up to about 8k and then goes mental, get those restrictors out :D

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 January 2013, 10:41:09 pm »
You can get that sealing gasket on Fleabay for about £6 inc postage.

could you stick up a link to the gasket?

arch33angel

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 January 2013, 11:47:08 pm »
I would if I knew how   :) It comes up if 'exhaust seal fzs600' is put in ebay search bar.
« Last Edit: 03 January 2013, 11:49:11 pm by arch33angel »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 January 2013, 12:38:50 am »
I would if I knew how   :) It comes up if 'exhaust seal fzs600' is put in ebay search bar.

oh yeah got it. thanks a lot. ;) if you want to paste a link you go up to the address bar at the top of the page and then right click on it and copy it, then paste it here. so for this thread it would be http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,5725.0.html

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 January 2013, 09:20:30 am »
I'd say get rid of the aftermarket exhaust and put it back to standard power-wise. Spend your cash on "bling" mods like indicatos/levers etc, and sort the suspension out. Make your Fazer look the dogs danglies to everyone as you "slowly" ride on by 8) . Tune the living daylights out of the bugger when your 2 years are up ;)

Whatever you do, don't try and tune it now!!!! Your running a huge risk at losing your licence if stopped by a traffic plod :'( . They WILL throw the book at you, and sieze your bike at the roadside. The aftermarket exhaust is the advertisement to them. Get rid of it sharpish!!

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 January 2013, 09:28:35 am »
I'd say get rid of the aftermarket exhaust and put it back to standard power-wise. Spend your cash on "bling" mods like indicatos/levers etc, and sort the suspension out. Make your Fazer look the dogs danglies to everyone as you "slowly" ride on by 8) . Tune the living daylights out of the bugger when your 2 years are up ;)

Whatever you do, don't try and tune it now!!!! Your running a huge risk at losing your licence if stopped by a traffic plod :'( . They WILL throw the book at you, and sieze your bike at the roadside. The aftermarket exhaust is the advertisement to them. Get rid of it sharpish!!

As long as it's baffled, and declared to his insurance people then it's perfectly legal.
For some reason i get the feeling it's not though...... :\
« Last Edit: 04 January 2013, 09:29:11 am by darrsi »

arch33angel

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 January 2013, 09:29:25 am »
Cheers Dude. I've always wondered how to post a link.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 January 2013, 07:40:46 pm »

As long as it's baffled, and declared to his insurance people then it's perfectly legal.
For some reason i get the feeling it's not though...... :\

I think he means that an aftermarket exhaust is an advertisement so they'll stop and chat and check!! and then boom.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 January 2013, 08:17:13 pm »
I don't want to be a killjoy, but your better off being aware of the possible pitfalls to having that can on your bike. Most new riders don't know this ;) 

If your on a restricted licence, your bike has already been 'tuned down' to 33bhp (ish). If you put an end can on it, the power could in theory go above that, rendering you "driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence", which menas your not insured, which means they can sieze your bike on the spot. That's just the start of it. No insurance is 6 points, and a £200 fine which means a ban which means a day in court for both insurance and licence offences + court costs. Licence offence will be another 3 points and £60 fine.
 To get your bike back you'll need someone with full insurance, and £150 siezure charge, and £15-20 per day storage costs. If you don't pick it up after a month or so, they sell it to pay for the recovery!!! :eek

The cops on the roadside only need supicion of an offence to possibly take this action. Leave the can off until your 2 years are up. Beter safe than sorry in my eyes, but the choice is yours. Spend your money on bling buddy! 8)
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!