Date: 23-04-24  Time: 13:37 pm

Author Topic: 2013 Fazer8 changes  (Read 11967 times)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
2013 Fazer8 changes
« on: 03 October 2012, 01:23:34 pm »
Yamaha have announced revisions to FZ8 & Fazer 8 for 2013, including adjustable suspension-think theyve finally realised original fitment not up to job. Available in "Race-Blu" colour scheme. £price not mentioned!

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Fazer8 changes
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2012, 06:32:17 pm »
And this, apparently, is Race-Blu  :\

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2012, 08:51:06 pm »
Good news on the suspension, hopefully its a bit firmer than the old one. The can looks a bit better, but that 'Blu' and the grey, black and white colour schemes are hardly inspiring.

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 November 2012, 06:54:56 am »
Just taken delivery of my 2012 bike from Robinsons, fantastic service, excellent price, can't wait to shift this virus so I can go out and play, now into the third week and lost my voice on Sunday!
[/size][/color]Hard frost today, so roads a bit slidey after monsoon conditions we have been "enjoying"[/font]
[/size][/color]Will be getting a coating of ACF before it ventures out in the wet.[/font]
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

andybunny66

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GPZ500s
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 November 2012, 12:31:27 pm »
The 2013 spec looks very interesting, what's the general concensus on adjustable shocks front and rear?
Are they really worth the extra money and once you've set them up to your weight and riding style, how often do you adjust them?
I've been hearing a lot about the shocks on current models being not very good, i test rode a naked FZ8 at the weekend and compared to my old GPZ 500 the shocks and the brakes were absolutly brilliant.
I'd be interested to know what people think?
Should i buy a current Fazer or hold out for a 2013 model?

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 November 2012, 06:15:55 pm »
i test rode a naked FZ8 at the weekend and compared to my old GPZ 500 the shocks and the brakes were absolutly brilliant.

I bought a 2nd hand GPZ500 after I passed my test in 1993.  I should hope the shock and brakes were better.

I had the standard suspension for 2 years before deciding to change it as it seemed to be getting even softer/less damping. I put in stiffer front springs and heavier oil, but its still unadjustable, and a fully adjustable rear shock. The rear shock Ive adjusted until I've found a setting I like. I might adjust it again if I need. I'm doing a tour down to Romania next year so going from nice smooth German roads to I suspect not so good Romanian ones.

I dont know the price of the 2013 version, but reckon you could get a good deal on a 2012 model and then change the shock if you feel the need.
One warning though, changing the rear shock meant my old insurer wouldn't insure the bike as I'd changed the shock  :rolleyes The new insurance cost was £60 more but I've also doubled my expected annual mileage which affected the price as well.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 November 2012, 08:23:38 pm »
Nice looking bike,Grandma!  :lol
Hope you get rid of virus quickly so you can ride and tell us how you find the 8 after your thou

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2012, 10:23:03 am »
As well as the suspension and end can, there is a new seat. I sat on it a the bike show and it feels a lot more comforatble than the old one.
The 'race-blue' looks a lot better in the flesh than in the pictures.

acid drop

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Yamaha MT-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 November 2012, 01:29:58 pm »
 Was fancying trading up to an FZ8 next spring until my mate turned up on his new Triumph Street Triple now I'm not sure which direction to go, still I've got a few months before I decide .

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 November 2012, 08:03:16 pm »
I had a Street Triple for 2 years before I got the Fazer8. The best engine in a road bike I've had, enough torque and poke to go quick but not so much that you get to 100 in 5 seconds and be OTT. It makes a fantastic noise as well, the induction noise anyway. I wasnt good for touring so I got the Fazer8. The new Street with its exhaust in the proper place instead of by the pillion seat means you can stick some throwovers on without burning them, or you hands.
If you test ride the FZ8 and the Street I reckon most will go for the Street.
Downsides of the Triumph are service intervals, 12,000 miles for a valve check, and that service costs £500+ at a main dealer. The finish isnt so good either, things like chain arent so good. The price is creeping up too, especially if you start adding on bits from their catalogue. There could be some bargin 2012 models around next year,like the FZ8 as thats being updated.

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 December 2012, 02:09:48 pm »
Was fancying trading up to an FZ8 next spring until my mate turned up on his new Triumph Street Triple now I'm not sure which direction to go, still I've got a few months before I decide .

The only way you are going to know is by taking them both out on a test ride.  I have had a Fazer 6 foxeye, and 2 Fazer 1's (Gen1)  and this time round fancied a change. I took about 10 bikes out for rides, inc the old and the new speed triple, and whilst I agree that both engines are good, for me it came down to comfort and torque. The most comfy was the tiger 800 but I didn't like the ride position, both the Speed Triples were a bit hard on the suspension despite adjustment to soft ride, and others I tried were just not to my liking.  The Fazer 8, for me, is great. really comfy seat, good suspension even without the adjustment on rebound/compression, lots of torque, and it just was the only bike that really put a grin on my face, and at the end of the day, that is what you should be looking for in my opinion. What really makes you grin when you ride, nothing else really matters. Good luck with your choice, let us know what you get in the end.  :D
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 December 2012, 10:08:46 am »
Nice looking bike,Grandma!  :lol
Hope you get rid of virus quickly so you can ride and tell us how you find the 8 after your thou
Needed anti biotics in the end, but in the last couple of weeks enjoyed a couple of 130 mile round trips, bike loosening up and past 1000 miles, so not checking the rev counter so much, getting used to the different gearing and learning by the sound how many revs and what speed I am doing :D
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous