Date: 16-04-24  Time: 18:53 pm

Author Topic: Front sprocket nut :(  (Read 6071 times)

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
Front sprocket nut :(
« on: 24 September 2012, 07:14:31 pm »
Its fallen off and disappeared, shaft looks a bit chewed up :(  waiting for RAC now to get me home.  Whatre me bst options? I'd prefer not to have to replace engine/box, is it possible to just weld the fecker on?

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Front sprocket nut :(
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2012, 07:16:35 pm »
Yes, of course you could bodge it, but providing you keep the bike you'd eventually have to grind the fekker back off again

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2012, 07:25:25 pm »
Not a problem... I don't plan on selling this bike (it's not worth a lot as it stands, been written off at least twice lol) so as long as it all stays in one piece I'm more than happy to bodge.

Think I'll be calling my local dealer for a nut to see if it can at least try to hold it on :s  Then weld the nut onto the shaft.

Now I think of it it was making a funny noise on over-run earlier, shouldn't have ignored it :(  Wasn't loud and I thought it was me hearing things.

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2012, 07:30:15 pm »
if  its the thread thats a bit chewed you might be able to get it re threaded with a die to restore the thread,maybe drill a hole to put a split pin on or as some others have done use a circlip etc,welding the nut on is a last resort solution but if you do maybe just get a couple of tack weld on it so removal later is a bit easyer and id change your sprocket (and chain) for new before you weld it!

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2012, 07:45:02 pm »
I wouldn't just tack weld it! I was too cautious the first time I welded mine on and the small amount of side-to-side free play the sprocket had was enough to break the weld after a few hundred miles. (I know there shouldn't have been any free play, but the thread was so knackered I found it difficult to get the nut tight enough prior to welding.)
After that I did a more thorough job and it stayed put. Come chain change time it's a simple matter to cut through the weld with an angle grinder and replace the sprocket. I eventually changed C&S that way three times in that engine's lifetime.

phillywilly

• DAS Born Again
  • give em a short ,sharp shock,they wont do it again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2012, 07:53:44 pm »
dont shoot me down in flames for this but....why are fazers prone for this problem and if you use a circlip do you drill a small hole through shaft or can it spring around shaft ?
has anyone used lock nut glue to any sucsess ?,apart from losing nut how much damage does it do to casing ?
soz to ask these questions on your thread but only had fazer for couple of weeks and want to learn from you guys before i have to change my chain and sprocket  :eek
shine on you crazy diamond

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 September 2012, 08:11:03 pm »
The original nut fitted was too thin (9mm as opposed to the 12mm thick replacement part) and can work loose.  Mine could well be original (I think it was 9mm but no way of knowing for sure now) and the bike has 33k on it.  I've had it since May when it had 24k and have checked it a few times, it's always been torqued up correctly.

There's not a lot of damage to the cover, few marks from where the nut has spun against it before falling off, but the main damage is done to the shaft which is an engine/box out and disassemble job.  I don't reckon threadlock would be up to the job tbh, the amount of vibration it must be subject to it'd probably still work loose.

My sprocket came off at about 10mph as I pulled away at a mini roundabout and looking at the shaft again I reckon it's saveable, although it won't be just a nut... welding is probably the quickest and most secure way I reckon.  Will just have to replace the nut whenever I do the chain/sprocket.  Just glad it didn't come off at 70mph as it would've been proper knackered then  :eek

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 September 2012, 08:26:36 pm »
if  you get the correct tread lock it will help and you can also get a similar thing to put on shafts to help hold things on slightly worn shafts(it takes up some of the free play) etc cant for the life of me think what its called,i used this aroun 15 years ago on a splined saft on one of my bubble cars and its still great now,id have thought a nut with a tack weld be good enuf but cant be if its already been tried and failed! a circlip(or e clip) would need a groove around shaft where as if its drilled it could be possibly used with a castle nut and split pin or maybe wired(like lot of race bikes) to stop it come undone,with any locking compound etc make sure everything is well cleaned before use!

rjd1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 September 2012, 08:37:35 pm »
i got the nut and washer free from yamaha
they also fix shaft if its wrecked
there is a thread about this somewhare

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 September 2012, 08:43:25 pm »
Since I'm going there I'll ask, but I doubt they'll do it.  I don't think it's an original sprocket (the chain certainly isn't, says DID on it) and I have no history at all.. only paperwork I got with it was the bit of the V5 and MOT certificate  :D

phillywilly

• DAS Born Again
  • give em a short ,sharp shock,they wont do it again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 September 2012, 08:44:57 pm »
i got the nut and washer free from yamaha
they also fix shaft if its wrecked
there is a thread about this somewhare

not really a play on words there rjd1  eh
as i say ,...sorry about hijacking this THREAD  :rollin :rollin :rollin
shine on you crazy diamond

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 September 2012, 08:45:24 pm »
Would an Arc welder be suitable for doing this or would I need a mig?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 September 2012, 10:13:29 pm »
Would an Arc welder be suitable for doing this or would I need a mig?
Yes, an ordinary old stick welder is what I used.
Don't do it if you're going to try to get Yamaha to foot the bill for a replacement shaft... I'm not sure if they're still honouring that deal, but they'll probably quibble if the nut's been welded on! When I first did mine Yamaha were still not accepting there was a problem... even if they had, I think I'd have done the same thing simply because I wouldn't want to leave the bike at a dealer for weeks on end while they fit in the work around more profitable jobs.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 September 2012, 12:14:26 pm »
Nut/washer ordered, £8.23 from my local.  Should be with the Friday, got the day off so I can hopefully get it back on the road.  Thread doesn't look too bad so hoping I can get enough torque on it to hold it all together firmly before welding.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 September 2012, 02:07:57 pm »
Don't forget to keep the chain out of harm's way while you're spattering molten slag around, or it'll do the O-rings no good. :)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 September 2012, 10:16:14 pm »
The problem is mainly due to the thread diameter of the shaft being to small for the nut thread diameter. General the shaft thread diameter should be 17.5mm many are less, minewas 17.2 to 17.3 and now 17.2 and 2 threads left. It does not effect all the 600 but any which have the problem appear to have a shaft thread diameter of less than 17.4mm.
I uploaded what I did with some pictures to fix mine and  put it I put it under
  Downloads » Manuals » FZS600 Fazer » How I fixed my Sprocket nut problem.
See also thread 'Front sprocket issues again'
Hope it helps

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 September 2012, 01:12:00 pm »
Threads turned out to be ok once the nut was on and I've torqued it up fully, threadlock, tab washer and then welded it on for good measure  :look   My welding 'skills' left a bit to be desired but it's hidden behind the cover so I don't care  :lol

Thought my clutch was buggered when I was putting the cover back on  :'(  until I actually looked at how the mechanism worked and realised that since the cover wasn't bolted up fully it was just pushing it away from the bike when I pulled the lever, rather than opening the clutch  :lol

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 September 2012, 09:24:18 pm »
You did of course make sure you got the 12mm thick nut and not another 9mm one! Mind you I don't think that nut will be going astray this time which ever one it is.  :)

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 September 2012, 09:54:26 pm »
I didn't measure it but I'm pretty sure it is.  The nut sits flush with the end of the shaft.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 September 2012, 10:15:21 pm »
I didn't measure it but I'm pretty sure it is.  The nut sits flush with the end of the shaft.
Yes that will be the 12mm nut then  :) . The old type nut sits about 3mm in from the end of the shaft.
Happy biking.

Lumpy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Blackbird XX-W, XS1100E
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 October 2012, 04:28:18 pm »
if the lock washer is used it will not loosen. Simples. If the lock washer is fitted properly that is.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 October 2012, 05:34:44 pm »
if the lock washer is used it will not loosen. Simples. If the lock washer is fitted properly that is.

Aye, right

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 October 2012, 07:47:15 pm »