Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:14 pm

Author Topic: Rear Shock for fazer8  (Read 10632 times)

HalfEmpty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fazer8
    • View Profile
Rear Shock for fazer8
« on: 13 June 2012, 09:29:08 pm »
Had my fazer8 for a year now. Well chuffed now it has a loud can  :) 
Not so happy about the rear shock. Not the lightest biker in the world! Anyone changed theirs yet? Any suggestions? Cheers.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Shock for fazer8
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2012, 06:39:38 pm »
The rear shock is probably the weakest part of the bike. No great problem solo, but I know 2 people who have had it bottom out whilst riding 2 up. There were a few times on my last trip where I got a bit fed up with the bouncy bouncy ride over bumps. I might look into it now. It does need more damping.

HalfEmpty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2012, 07:27:53 pm »
Hi Phil,
A bit new to message boards and stuff. Appreciate your response. Any help or advice greatly received. Thanks.

spider

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - triumph explorer. lambretta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2012, 10:45:48 pm »
can it be changed in my garage, or special tools needed

HalfEmpty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2012, 03:27:00 pm »
Sort of thinking I would go for the Nitron (probably) - (I used to be indecisive, now I'm not sure  :D ) So, went to the local dealer to see about cost of fitting. Anyway, no one has asked them to do this on a Fazer 8 yet and they wondered what my problem might be! They lent me their demonstrator and .... No rear shock problem!!!!! They 'inspected' mine and found no problem ... BUT, they swapped the demonstrator shock for mine FOC and I am happy  :) :rollin :)
No idea what the problem was - probably all in my head!
Nice to find a dealer that cares.

Cheers all.

HalfEmpty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2012, 08:56:11 pm »
Rode 2 up today - bike handled great.
Not like before with the original original shock.
Got my smile back.  :D

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 July 2012, 10:26:02 am »
I had my bike serviced last week (2 years old 22,500 miles done) and the dealer asked if I wanted the Ohlins shock he had put on his bike, plus Ohlins fork springs (10% stiffer than standard) and thicker oil putting in, for £600 fitted. OK then. He must be selling his,  and cant have done more than 1000 miles on the Ohlins, so seems a good buy. Ive only ridden it the 2 miles back home so cant give much info, other than its less bouncy and riding over the sleeping policemen on purpose think I'll be knocking the compression damping back a little bit.

« Last Edit: 03 July 2012, 11:33:31 am by Phil »

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 November 2012, 07:04:47 am »
Hoping mine will be O.K as I am 9 stone and rarely ride two up these days. Had a Nitron on FZ1S with a spring to suit my weight, but that was written off after only 3 months, when my tailpack slipped and locked up the back wheel, depositing me onto the hard shoulder of the M20 :eek
[/size][/color]Had used the tailpack for 15 years on several bikes without a problem, but didn't shed any tears over the 1000 as it was a thirsty injected one, not as good as the carb Gen 1 I had enjoyed for two years![/font]
[/size][/color]R1 is officially transferred to my son today[/font] :lol
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 November 2012, 06:24:32 pm »
I'm 13.5 stone, so thats a fair old difference. A friend kept bottoming his out 2-up. 9 stone solo should be a lot better.
I've also done the bag in the rear wheel trick, outside lane of the M3 but luckily it didnt lock up. I see from the other thread you have the Fazer8, and thats got tailback friendly grab rails to help secure the bag.

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 November 2012, 09:13:13 pm »
that ohlins i fork fitting i thought 8's were knuckle like fz1
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

andybunny66

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GPZ500s
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 November 2012, 01:13:50 pm »
Nitron do a rear shock for the Fazer, I've just emailed their customer services department for details:
[size=0pt]The part number is NTBKY06S – Yamaha FZ8 Fazer 06-12 NTR Sport Shock. The price for this shock is £308.00+VAT plus £12.50+VAT UK delivery. We do not fit the shocks to the bike here at Nitron.
The current build time is 4 working days upon order.
You tell them your weight and your pillions weight and they build the perfect shock to your requirements. http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Nitron_Shock_Absorbers_for_Yamaha_Motorcycles.html
[/size]
[/color]
I've no idea if replacing the shock is a job I can do? but i imagine for a qualified mechanic its probably a 2-3 hour job, so your looking at the best part of £200.

If your looking to sort out the front forks you may want to check out the following links:
http://www.bici.co.uk/Shop/Suspension/Matris-Fork-Kits/36395-Yamaha-FZ8-Matris-Motorcycle-Front-Fork-Kits---NEW.html
http://www.intobikes.co.uk/products/000008/008489/Ohlins-Fork-Springs-suitable-for-Yamaha-Fazer-8-ABS-2011?mn=39&pt=86

I hope this helps those who want a stiffer suspension set up?

[size=0pt][/size][/color]

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 November 2012, 02:15:04 pm »
I have just ordered the Nitron NTR Sport which is the entry level one for mu Gen1.....£360 fitted. Will be getting fitted over the next 2-3 weeks but will not venture out until the spring. I will give it a review when it is fully tested but Im told it is a brilliant enhancement over the standard shock

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 January 2013, 09:16:36 am »
I have just ordered the Nitron NTR Sport which is the entry level one for mu Gen1.....£360 fitted. Will be getting fitted over the next 2-3 weeks but will not venture out until the spring. I will give it a review when it is fully tested but Im told it is a brilliant enhancement over the standard shock
Standard shock seems to work for me, had Nitron on Gen 2 Fazer 1000 but had to buy another spring as it was set up for 16stone guy!
[/size][/color]Still have original Nitron spring they took off to fit mine.[/font]
[/size][/color]Wrote bike off in September on M20 when luggage slipped and locked up back wheel. Also destroyed all my clothes and luggage I have used happily on various bikes for the last 12 years![/font]
[/size][/color]Didn't shed any tears as it was thirsty and had a small tank range, Fazer 8 is brilliant[/font] :D
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous