Date: 26-04-24  Time: 04:16 am

Author Topic: Yamaha fazer fzs 600 2003 model update  (Read 1336 times)

neilr

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Yamaha fazer fzs 600 2003 model update
« on: 11 August 2021, 08:28:27 am »
Ignition Switch Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer 1998-2001Hi following on from my last post purchased one of these for my fazer fzs600 2003 model and tried to fit it, unfortunately the connectors are the wrong way round. Male connectors on the main plug and male connectors on the loom plug! I have tried connecting using link wire but am having issues with the wiring colours and where they go. Is there anyone who has use one of these earlier lock switch and fitted it to there foxeye and if so could you give me some pointers as to where they go(wire to wire)

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Yamaha fazer fzs 600 2003 model update
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2021, 12:02:45 pm »
The foxeye or 02 model referred to as P model has 7 wires.

The Foxeye ignition switch has 7 wires and the Boxeye has 6, there was no alarm fitted to the 600 just connectors to allow the alarm to be plugged in. If you look under the seat there are 3 white connectors with 2 loop plugs this is what the Haynes  manual refers to and the Yamaha service manual also refers to them.

Of course, forgot about the foxeye, I was transfixed on the boxeye  :rollin  good spot unfazed:thumbup

Thought so

From total memory (I don't have an 02 wiring diagram to hand) and it's been a good while since I've worked on a 02 model.  The extra wire is I think the blue/Black (L/B), or whatever colour it is, the rest are the same, but the connection blocks are different on the 02.

Either: extract the wires from both blocks old and new switch, put the new wire/switch into the old (your bikes) connector block on the switch side, matching up the wire combination to the block on the bike, less the extra wire.  Or get the correct 02 switch or fit one off a 01 - 02 FZS1000 as unfazed surgested.     
Later

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2021, 04:16:28 pm »

Either: extract the wires from both blocks old and new switch, put the new wire/switch into the old (your bikes) connector block on the switch side, matching up the wire combination to the block on the bike, less the extra wire.   
Unfortunately it is not that simple due to the changes made in the fox eye wiring.
If he fails to get a switch and I get time I will look at how much modification would be required to get the 6 wire switch to work on the fox eye.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2021, 06:00:26 pm »

Either: extract the wires from both blocks old and new switch, put the new wire/switch into the old (your bikes) connector block on the switch side, matching up the wire combination to the block on the bike, less the extra wire.   
Unfortunately it is not that simple due to the changes made in the fox eye wiring.
If he fails to get a switch and I get time I will look at how much modification would be required to get the 6 wire switch to work on the fox eye.

I'm fairly certain that's what I did last time I fitted one, but as said it was sometime ago. Not long after they were introduced, some scumbag buggered the lock trying to nick it from a customer then realised it was attached to a ground anchor   :rolleyes Customer couldn't afford replacement and did want to claim.  It did fit and it wasn't that hard to do, as I remember. 

I'll have a look in my records see if I can find what I did, possible I run another wire from the switch to replace the missing wire, really can't remember it was almost 20 yrs ago and I only did it once. 

His best options are the latter 2 in my previous post  :)
Later