Date: 19-04-24  Time: 11:01 am

Author Topic: Making up a cleaning kit  (Read 2984 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Making up a cleaning kit
« on: 03 June 2021, 06:39:34 pm »
So having a faired bike again has reminded me how much of a pain in the ass they are to clean, and the fact its black in places is even worse. So I'm looking at putting together a really good cleaning kit. The best washes, polishes, waxes as well as brushes chamois etc etc
So I thought I'd ask you guys what you use, given that (without sounding rude) a lot of you guys are on the more mature side of things I trust that most of you have been using some of the same products for years so you would have good recommendations 😁 
I mean I could just go out and spend my life savings on autoglym but I'd hazard a guess and say a £5 bottle of turtle wax is probably just as good as a £27 bottle of that 🤷‍♂️

So anyway partly because I could really use the advice and partly because it would be nice to have an actual topic that relates to biking on here 😝 would anyone be so kind as to offer up suggestions on good cleaning products
Thanks 👍🏻

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Making up a cleaning kit
« Reply #1 on: 03 June 2021, 06:52:04 pm »
Parifin for the dirty bits just enough to damp a rag. Then polish with autoglym for the metal and shiny plastics and then armerall plastic and trim stuff for the matt plastics like rear guard and back of indicators/and  infill's. Only use water on the flies in the fairing.
 Don't use any fancy cloths but any old clothes from Sharp Hall that are on the way to the charity have to go through me first. White and black t shirts dont usually get to see the charity shop - neither does any soft thick fluffy socks (not mine )- good for buffing.         
« Last Edit: 03 June 2021, 06:52:38 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2021, 07:18:53 pm »
Diluted harpic for cleaning exhaust headers, but only only cold pipes and don't use more than once per cleaning session.
« Last Edit: 03 June 2021, 07:20:11 pm by b1k3rdude »

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2021, 07:24:58 pm »
Any old towels-bath,hand,tea also cotton sheets torn up into manageable size pieces. Cheap maxi size kitchen rolls, Old toothbrushes etc.
I use cheap car wash eg 5L size Carplan off ebay. Sponges comefromPoundland, Scourerpads from Aldi.
Decent chamois leather from Window cleaning supplies off eBay.(Not Halfords-far too dear).
GT 85 spray on offer in Aldi orWilko.
Autoglym polish from bestpricedeal online.
Once bike really deep cleaned then protect all surfaces with polish/spray whatever. The GT85 is good on electrics and metal also plastic panels where  studs and o rings are used to join together.
The really dear products like ACF50 are worth the cost for all season protection.
I find bike cleaning very therapeutic but have a bit of OCD in this area!

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2021, 07:28:49 pm »
PS 4L Paraffin from B&Q, Motul factory line chain lube. WURTH  chain cleaning brush.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2021, 05:06:17 pm »
Some good info there guys cheers.
So autoglym is the best wax/polish?? Any particular one as there seems to be about 15 variants to pick from 🙈

And are the ebay chamois any good? They seem to be super cheap compared to the shops

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2021, 05:21:01 pm »
Kitchen utensil type brushes for getting crap off in the nooks and crannies. Theres all shapes, sizes, and bristle hardness available at places like Dunelm. Ive a variety, including the bottle brush type. Parrafin for crud removal, wash off, then wash with washing up liquid, wash off with hose (not pressure washer). Blow dry everywhere with comp air, when dry spray everywhere but the braking bits etc with ACF50. Relube the chain.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 June 2021, 05:37:52 pm »
Some good info there guys cheers.
So autoglym is the best wax/polish?? Any particular one as there seems to be about 15 variants to pick from 🙈

And are the ebay chamois any good? They seem to be super cheap compared to the shops
I use the super resin polish one.
I dont bother with ACF 50 in the summer as it just makes the summer dust stick to it and as I wont be getting wet anyway. I do use it in the winter. 
« Last Edit: 04 June 2021, 05:39:46 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8 on: 04 June 2021, 10:09:42 pm »
A long handled paint brush (of the type for getting behind radiators) is good for getting to bits that you can't reach any other way :thumbup

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 June 2021, 10:44:13 pm »
Dudeofrude-the ebay window cleaning products seller is called Wintecs-Cornwall based if memory serves me right?. Their chamois leather was about£7 for a generous size cloth of good quality.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 June 2021, 12:34:31 pm »
Can anyone advise me how to get T-cut off of textured plastic? I was doing the tank and accidently caught the panel underneath and now I can't get it off 🙈 I've tried rewashing it, scubbing it, alcohol etc but nothing is shifting it 😔

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 June 2021, 04:54:49 pm »
Can anyone advise me how to get T-cut off of textured plastic? I was doing the tank and accidently caught the panel underneath and now I can't get it off 🙈 I've tried rewashing it, scubbing it, alcohol etc but nothing is shifting it 😔
WD40 or  GT85 might be worth a try, it certainly won't do it any harm.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 June 2021, 05:21:33 pm »
Can anyone advise me how to get T-cut off of textured plastic?
Well if it def wont clean off (have you tried isopropyl and cotton buds?), then you could use bumper restorer -

- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Forever-Products-Black-Improved-Formula/dp/B00FAYLPZK

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 June 2021, 08:58:15 pm »
I've tried alcohol wipes, wd40 and muc off with no joy 😞 can't believe something so silly is cause such a bit issue 🙈

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 June 2021, 06:24:32 am »
I had the same issue before. Couldn’t find anything to shift it other than Autoglym bumper care.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 June 2021, 07:31:14 am »

A pencil rubber (remember them) and then wipe it with a cloth, it's always worked for me.   ;)
Later

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 June 2021, 04:46:34 pm »

A pencil rubber (remember them) and then wipe it with a cloth, it's always worked for me.   ;)

Gnasher you foccing legend!! 🥳🥳

It's not quite as clean as it was before the incident but it's definitely 100x better. Once I've given it all another proper wash then I reckon the issue will be resolved.
Thanks again 👍🏻

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 June 2021, 06:36:11 pm »
Gnasher you foccing legend!!
LOL, indeed!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 June 2021, 10:14:05 pm »
Was watching a Wheeler Dealers last night, where Ant Antstead had a rubber rotary disc gadget to use in a drill, specifically for cleaning glue residue from bodywork. Another "fix it" for the future. Thanks Gnasher for the headsup.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 June 2021, 08:19:46 am »

Gnasher you foccing legend!! 🥳🥳

It's not quite as clean as it was before the incident but it's definitely 100x better. Once I've given it all another proper wash then I reckon the issue will be resolved.
Thanks again 👍🏻

You're welcome bud.

The rubber hardness/composition has a big impact on the results it's a bit pot luck until you find what rubber works best, with whatever you've put on the trim surface.  The fact you've used other products especially alcohol it will have set the stuff and attacked the ABS plastic surface, hence the lighter surface were you've treated it.  Try Autoglym bumper gel, Armour All or back to black stuff and it will come back as good as new.  Again you get different results, it's a matter of finding out what works best with your trim. ;)
Later