Date: 28-03-24  Time: 18:20 pm

Author Topic: Security chain advice  (Read 1023 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Security chain advice
« on: 29 April 2021, 11:09:12 pm »
Hey I'm looking for a new chain as my Squire is started to get a bit long in the tooth. The cover has all but disintegrated and it's started to scratch  my bike wheels when using it.
Anyway I've been looking around at what seems to be the best and a few things keep popping up but I've got my eye on the Oxford beast 22mm with the Oxford beast lock. It's on offer st the minute for £202 for both which is great, I'm just wondering if a 20kg 22mm link chain is going to be a bit overkill? My current squire is only a 14mm chain and has always done the job so I'm wondering if it would be better to just stick to one of a similar size? Also means I wouldn't have to get a new ground anchor
But then the Oxford one is sold secure diamond rated so I'm thinking it might bring the insurance down a smidge 🤷‍♂️

Anyway does anyone have any input/advice that may help me choose which is the best option?

(Edit: fair point sharpie 👍🏻)
« Last Edit: 29 April 2021, 11:35:33 pm by Dudeofrude »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Security chain advice
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2021, 11:21:50 pm »
One thing. I would never publicise what security I have on a public forum so that scrote bags know what tools to bring. ;)
A word on the insurance discount if you get any is that if you did not use the chain one time and the bike was nicked they would probably not pay out. Like they don't when you say you have a garage and you are not covered for stolen off your drive or after a certain hour.
« Last Edit: 29 April 2021, 11:22:53 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2021, 11:41:40 pm »
One thing. I would never publicise what security I have on a public forum so that scrote bags know what tools to bring. ;)
A word on the insurance discount if you get any is that if you did not use the chain one time and the bike was nicked they would probably not pay out. Like they don't when you say you have a garage and you are not covered for stolen off your drive or after a certain hour.

Yeah in know they would try to worm out of it anyway possible. I already have a garaged clause on my insurance that says it has to be locked up with my declared security between the hours of 10pm and 7am otherwise its not covered 🙄 also I don't believe I'm covered if it is stolen from within a mile of my house 🤷‍♂️

But as I say its not the sole security device (I edited the previous post) so I'm really I'm just wondering if people think a giant chain is worth bothering with and if any of you have that big to advise me if it's more hassle than its worth trying to use it? 🤔

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2021, 12:27:44 am »
What you have to always remember is that all security buys you is time.

If someone's determined to nick a bike (or anything else) they will, so the only thing you can do is to make the potential profits not worth their time.

I know someone who doesn't care too much about the cosmetic state of their bike since, especially if it's standing next to a pristine bike, the scrotes will go for the one that looks better as they'd be able to get more money for it.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2021, 09:06:45 am »
These are in my opinion the best available they do the lot and the kit is top quality, not cheap but secure as it's possible to get.   

https://securityforbikes.com/security-chains.php
Later

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2021, 05:51:42 pm »
If it is staying at home then you can have the biggest chain you like but compromises have to be made if you are travelling with the thing.
These are very good and once that they are concreted in all you see is two oblong holes in the ground, just make sure that you chain will thread through. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193690258631 Loads on ebay

[Edited to shorten the URL! - GrahamM - Moderator]
Thanks  :thumbup
« Last Edit: 01 May 2021, 11:59:14 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.