Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer8 / FZ8

Sprocket ratio

(1/1)

Hades:
Hello all.

Standard FZ8n sprocket setup is 16 front 46 rear.

Has anybody tinkered with different sprockets? 

Im looking to increase fuel efficiency and i understand that either adding teeth to the front or removing teeth from the rear is the way to reduce the ratio. This lowers acceleration / torque which you gain back top end.

My concern is if i add one tooth to the front and remove one from the rear how will this effect the number of links required in the chain?

I have a feeling i may have to adjust the wheelbase adjuster

vinnyb:

https://www.gearingcommander.com/
This is a useful site if you're thinking about altering your gearing.

celticbiker:
That's a big change. Adding one to the front is about the same as removing two from the rear.
I know what you said but what exactly is the problem?
I commute 100 miles every day and return about 53mpg and that's not hanging around.
It's no tdm900 but it's not bad.

agricola:

--- Quote from: Hades on 24 May 2020, 11:32:04 pm ---Hello all.

Standard FZ8n sprocket setup is 16 front 46 rear.

Has anybody tinkered with different sprockets? 

Im looking to increase fuel efficiency and i understand that either adding teeth to the front or removing teeth from the rear is the way to reduce the ratio. This lowers acceleration / torque which you gain back top end.

My concern is if i add one tooth to the front and remove one from the rear how will this effect the number of links required in the chain?

I have a feeling i may have to adjust the wheelbase adjuster

--- End quote ---

Almost certain you will have to adjust the chain, may even need a longer one. As for gain at the top end, it will take you longer to get there. Double check the chain run to be sure that, with a larger front sprocket, the chain isnt dragging across something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version