Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:00 am

Author Topic: Exup valve help with video  (Read 6047 times)

MarkW

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Exup valve help with video
« on: 03 March 2017, 04:41:37 pm »
Hi all,

Bought my Fazer in November last year and it was displaying the 7k code on the tachometer.

Went out today to have a look, loosened the cables (top was very slack already) valve turned freely as expected; the seller advertised the bike as having had a new valve, end plate and bushes.

After a few attempts at adjusting the cables I am now free of the 7k code. However, having looked at a few videos of working valves, the initial position of mine at idle seems to be off somewhat and despite several attempts adjusting I could not get the forks of the pulley to line up with the hole. I'm also unsure whether it is opening fully, I thought it seemed a bit hesitant. Does it open all the way to the 2 O'clock position at red line in revs?

Here is the video, I took the revs up to about 9k at the end. I was hoping an expert could cast their eye over this and perhaps give me some pointers :D

Thanks in advance

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb8z0v-lCNU
« Last Edit: 03 March 2017, 04:59:01 pm by MarkW »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Exup valve help with video
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2017, 05:41:33 pm »

Hi Mark,
I don't know if you've followed the adjustment info on Pat's page, but this is very useful. When you turn on the ignition the valve should move to line up the fork with the hole. If it doesn't then hold the valve in this position with a drill bit or something similar, after possibly slackening the cables to allow you to get the valve into this position, and adjust the cables until they're tight then back the adjusters off half a turn. Then retry. The valve only "zeroes" after the engine has been run, so if you turn the key on after the bikes run the valve will zero. If you don't start the bike then any subsequent key operations will have no effect. If I remember correctly the valve starts to open at 2000 and is fully open at 6000rpm. Have a read fully on Pat's page and it will make a lot more sense.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 March 2017, 05:47:31 pm »
Here's a link to Pat's EXUP adjustment page in case you don't know where to find it - http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/exupmaintenance.html

MarkW

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2017, 05:49:42 pm »
Thanks both, I'll take a look at the info there and have another go.

Cheers

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2017, 07:32:12 pm »
Thanks PieEater.All that posting links and photos is well beyond me :lol

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 March 2017, 07:12:51 am »
Good work so far.  Now, try this to fine tune the job.

Ignition off, turn the valve pulley fully clockwise so that the fork is at 2 o'clock.  Turn on the ignition and the valve will reset to put the fork over or near the alignment hole.

If the fork is above the hole, you need to slacken the cable connected to the nipple on the top side of the pulley and tighten the other cable by the same amount.  Usually it's no more than a turn or two on the adjuster.  Fork below the hole the opposite applies.  Check again following the procedure above.  It will take a few goes to get a feel for how much to adjust each cable and still leave the correct amount of slack.

It's not possible to analyse the operation of the valve when the bike is static because the ECU bases EXUP operation on throttle position (under load, 9k rpm needs a lot more than in neutral on the centrestand) and which gear is selected.  From your description, the valve is moving freely opens up fully when the revs are high - all sounds fine to me. :)

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2017, 11:08:13 am »
Hi Mike, so it is ok to move the valve buy hand and not damage  any thing? The 2 o'clock  position  is fully  open. How much restance should  you feel when  moving  the valve? Easy,  stiff?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 March 2017, 03:10:41 pm »
With the cables connected, it will be stiff to move because you're also turning the servo motor.  This is fine - use an 8mm socket on the pulley bolt to rotate the valve this way.

With the cables disconnected and the pulley removed, you should be able to flip-flop the valve between closed and open with a flick of your thumb and first finger.  It you feel any resistance requiring more effort to turn the valve spindle, the valve may need freeing up a little.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 March 2017, 03:31:30 pm »
Thanks  Mike, so I should be able to tell if the value  is fully  opening and closing,  I will give mine a try.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 March 2017, 11:23:47 am »
If the exup valve checks out ok, cables are moving freely and the 7K fault still shows intermittently then the Servo motor may need to be replaced.

MarkW

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 March 2017, 01:25:13 pm »
Thanks for the extra info, much appreciated. I will give that a try when I next get the chance, I was planning to have another go yesterday but having not ridden the bike since purchase in November, I couldn't resist a blast out in the sunshine  :D

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 March 2017, 09:35:19 am »
Does bike need to actually start for the Exup Servo reset? I fired the battery back in mine yesterday and turned ignition on but no movement on the exup. What direction does it turn at servo, clockwise same as the valve?

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 March 2017, 10:01:37 am »
When the engine has been running and then turned off the valve will reset when you next turn on the ignition.If you then do not start the bike it doesn't reset any more until it's been run.If you turned the engine off via the kill switch it would reset then and not when you next turn the key on. Can't help you with servo direction I'm afraid.

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 March 2017, 10:51:29 am »
When the engine has been running and then turned off the valve will reset when you next turn on the ignition.If you then do not start the bike it doesn't reset any more until it's been run.If you turned the engine off via the kill switch it would reset then and not when you next turn the key on. Can't help you with servo direction I'm afraid.

The tank was off so the bike never actually started only ignition on and off a couple of times, so i am hoping that it was not started it won't try to reset. If Servo is now dud i will  :'(

Thanks Robbo

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 March 2017, 11:03:01 am »

Hi matey,
You're having a right mare aren't you.If you imagine that the purpose of the valve "resetting" is to prepare the bike to start, so once done, if the bike hasn't been started there's no reason for it to "reset" again as it has already reset. If you want to pm your number I'll call and have a chat if that will help.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 March 2017, 06:38:55 pm »
Just to put this lads mind to rest , the video you put up shows the valve to be working correctly.

What can and does happens is that a stuck valve can effect the servo motor and when the valve has been sorted out the Servo motor is no longer in perfect working order because it had been trying to Pull/Push a stuck valve and it is the motor than can now throw up intermittent 7K codes.
The only way to resolve this is change the motor, since it is not overly common issue it is usually worth risking a second hand motor from a breakers.

Every time I got the 7k code I would strip the valve, I had it apart so often and it and the and the cables were perfect than I could do it blindfolded. I eventuall through logical process of elimination said it could only be the Servo, bought a second hand one and what I discovered was that the pulley wheel on the original servo was much more difficult to twist than the replacement I bought.
No issues since replacing the servo.

I even took the old servo apart and could find nothing physically wrong with it, but when back together again It was extremely difficult to turn.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 March 2017, 07:38:22 pm »
I think there are 2 threads going on here the OP who put the video up ( Markie)isn't the same is the other (tefer) who is having trouble with his exup as well.
On a separate but slightly related note , I think some confusion has been had over the years with Yamaha exhaust valves is some of us of a certain age remember the YPVS system which made the servo noise every time the ignition was switched on to clean itself ,whereas as correctly put by robbo the exup system doesn't work that way.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 March 2017, 11:57:16 pm »
I think there are 2 threads going on here the OP who put the video up ( Markie)isn't the same is the other (tefer) who is having trouble with his exup as well.

Yes I was aware of it, but many will read this and it cuts out the wonderment  :lol

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 March 2017, 04:02:30 pm »
Yeah sorry guys mine was a seperate issue but thought it better to ask on a current thread than start a new for same kinda advice.