Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:19 pm

Author Topic: petrol stations and lids  (Read 19704 times)

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
Re: petrol stations and lids
« Reply #75 on: 23 March 2014, 10:43:00 pm »
i always try to use the Esso garage in Glastonbury  as the manager and 2 of the other blokes who work there are all bikers,but as and when i start getting out on the bike more i'll no doubt end up with the hassel of taking me lid off,so as stated above,i'll just really take my time with the whole process and hold the queue up for as long as possible-not really the cagers fault,but just to piss the attendant off  :lol

went to Germany on my old cbx750 way back in 1988 for the football,filtering passed loads of cars waiting to cross into herman land,got stopped by a very polite border gaurd/dibble,checked my passport,casualy asked if i was going to the football,when i said i was,his whole attitude changed,had all the panniers off the bike,checked me,the bike,all my gear all over the fucking road in front of all these cars that id smuggly filtered passed earlier.of course he didnt find nothing of any note (id sent my flick knife/knuckle dusters cs gas out by post,you know what scum us England fans used to be in the 80's!!  :evil  ) and told me to go.so of course,i took as long as i could, and i mean focing ages,re packing my kit into the panniers,then strapping the panniers to the bike,then getting kitted up again before bimbling off,much to the annoyance to the car that the blond aryion anti English twat had pulled over as his next victim and the guard who kept hassling me to get on with it,not sure he enjoyed being told that it was his collegue  that had strewn my well packed gear all over the floor,and that he'd have to wait while i packed it properly. and they carry guns on the border over there.well,they did back then anyway. happy days!!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 23 March 2014, 11:27:43 pm »
Dont like taking off me lid -- its a faf I also have to take off my glasses - put them down some place, put my helmet down - usually the best place is where my glasses are, so put glasses on face and put lid in place of glasses. oh yeh and pick up ear plugs that removing the helmet has just ripped  out. Then pay, then swap lid for glasses (remember glasses are on face lid is on the counter )  put glasses back on - walk out seeing que is now longer than when I went in. And all that in case I ride off with £5 worth of fuel.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 24 March 2014, 12:29:11 am »
I suppose there is the other option. Buy a car :)
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 24 March 2014, 09:05:00 am »
I have started to use a new Morrisons station thats opened near me as they have the pay at pump ... pumps and you can use em with the lid on.  It does save faffing about.
Intentionally left blank

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 24 March 2014, 09:09:04 am »
I have started to use a new Morrisons station thats opened near me as they have the pay at pump ... pumps and you can use em with the lid on.  It does save faffing about.
Yep that is what I do, asda one for me.
I found out somthing with these, I got some fuel for my bike and didnt get a receipt and went back later to the same pump in the car and it asked me straight away if I wanted a receipt which would be for the bike one a few hours ago.

peterjca

« Reply #80 on: 24 March 2014, 11:49:29 am »
In over twenty years of biking I've only ever been asked to remove my lid once. That was at the local Tesco. I was only using the Tesco because the usual petrol station I use was running dry and was having fuel delivered. I despise and hate Tesco so there was never any question of me going back there anyway. My attitude is if they won't serve me with my lid on then I'll take my custom elsewhere.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 24 March 2014, 11:57:57 am »
In over twenty years of biking I've only ever been asked to remove my lid once. That was at the local Tesco. I was only using the Tesco because the usual petrol station I use was running dry and was having fuel delivered. I despise and hate Tesco so there was never any question of me going back there anyway. My attitude is if they won't serve me with my lid on then I'll take my custom elsewhere.
As the man said!

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 24 March 2014, 12:14:58 pm »
Where a Burka under your helmet next time you go in there. That'll fok em right up.

:lol

That's a very good point, right there! They've got your number plate read through ANPR so what's the big deal?

Just another form of discrimination for us bikers to contend with sadly! Given up fighting and I just take it off IF requested.

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 24 March 2014, 01:13:51 pm »
Filled up the other day with my lid on in a Begium Esso.

Nobody said anything, tanked and paid with my dark visor open.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 24 March 2014, 07:04:42 pm »
Yep that is what I do, asda one for me.
I found out somthing with these, I got some fuel for my bike and didnt get a receipt and went back later to the same pump in the car and it asked me straight away if I wanted a receipt which would be for the bike one a few hours ago.
Did u manage to include car fuel on the bikes purchase or was it just holding reciept
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 24 March 2014, 07:10:53 pm »
It was just holding the receipt, I put the card in like you do and if I remember rightly I didnt even put in my pin and it asked me if I wanted a receipt. I know those pumps and thats not how they work - you card you fill - it askes if you want a receipt yes or no I must of said no on the bike and then later when I went in the car it asked me again before I put in the pin

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 24 March 2014, 07:16:27 pm »
God this is a moany old person thread  :lol

I'm pretty sure this has all been said before in this thread so I don't hold much hope of changing minds etc.

let's assess. We don't want to bother taking our helmets off because it wastes time, so we'll take extra long to then take them off/ put them back on to annoy someone that's paid by the hour?

The person behind the till doesn't make the rules, the person behind the till doesn't care if you rob them or not - paid by the hour.

The people you're holding up in the queue don't have anything to do with it, they've got lives to get on with and they won't think
'God this petrol station is annoying because this biker is making me wait'
They'll think
'God all bikers are annoying because this biker is making me wait'.

If the till jockey is new or inexperienced, you'll ruin their day for something their employers tell them to ask.
If the till jockey has been doing the job a while, they won't give a flying monkeys how long you take, they're paid by the hour.

I can understand the 'I'm not going there again' school of thought, but why waste your time, their time, everybody's time in doing so?

Reverse rant over, carry on.
(Oh, I got asked for ID for alcohol, I'm so annoyed that I'm going to take ages showing them my ID, pay in pennies and call the cashier a trollop, despite them being threatened with their jobs if they don't ask)

(Ok, now rant over)

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 24 March 2014, 07:35:03 pm »
I suppose there is the other option. Buy a car :)
I tried that but filtering was a proper pain in the arse.  No-one wants to let you through  :eek

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 24 March 2014, 07:35:29 pm »
Oh, I got asked for ID for alcohol,

I wish they still asked me

AndyL

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 25 March 2014, 11:33:03 am »
I normally take it off but when the bike was new (to me) and didn't have the top box it was a lot more annoying. I felt a bit rude popping into a shop with the lid on but have also had someone push a trolley into the lid when carrying it around.

I now wear different glasses for riding and have a top box so take it off if I'm going into a shop.

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 25 March 2014, 11:45:17 am »
Petrol stations and lids
Could become a tony christie hit
:lol

I think this thread is old enough for Peter Kay to cover it with Ronnie Corbet :lol

cfoley

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 25 March 2014, 11:51:00 am »
Have to love pay at pumps. I don't even have to get off the bike. Just whip a glove off and even that's optional.

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 25 March 2014, 12:54:49 pm »
you wont say that if you spill on a hot engine and BBQ you tatters  :b
Its just a ride

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 25 March 2014, 01:02:18 pm »
I always sit - one glove off.
I wonder if petrol would flame up on contact with a hot engine-------------- dont think it would

cfoley

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 25 March 2014, 01:05:39 pm »
I think we should find out Zoolander style.

tony_d123

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 05 April 2014, 04:25:19 pm »
Life's too short  :lol

jason1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 05 April 2014, 04:54:34 pm »
Age old argument on here i guess. Must agree its a pain in the arse at pumps. I know use pay at pumps, or if ime wearing my flip up helmet thats even better.No questions asked.
Saying that i went into my local co-op the other day , lid flipped up and security wouldnt let me in until lid was removed. Guy was a twat with it too, he did get a mouth full with it too . Would of walked out but needed bits . Even thought of filling my lid with goods and walk out under the security twats nose.  :2guns :2guns :2guns :2guns

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 05 April 2014, 05:23:56 pm »
OK, here's one for you. I got asked to remove my helmet by a woman wearing a burkka. :eek

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 05 April 2014, 07:42:28 pm »
OK, here's one for you. I got asked to remove my helmet by a woman wearing a burkka. :eek

"Ok..........women first love"  :lol :lol
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #99 on: 05 April 2014, 09:11:29 pm »

Reverse rant over, carry on.
(Oh, I got asked for ID for alcohol,

If you were a woman, you could take that as a compliment!   :)
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.