Date: 24-04-24  Time: 15:35 pm

Author Topic: first little trip  (Read 1391 times)

roxysaltmer

• Cager in Training
  • love the feeling that reminds you you're alive...
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
first little trip
« on: 03 April 2014, 11:04:29 pm »
i have a trip planned roughly covering 1000 miles over 5 nights in cheap travel lodges, it will be my first tour of that amount of miles ever on any bike and i am wondering if anyone has any hints or tips on anything to do with touring or places to do or see en route or evenanswer, am i going to be comfortable two up with tank bag, throwovers for long periods in the saddle on my 600 ?.... i will be going from bridlington to kendal on day one, overnight stay in kendal, another day and night in kendal then on to north wales where i will be staying one night in bangor and then heading down to pembroke dock for one night and then merthyr tydfil for my last night and then home which ever route i decide (i am thinking across towards skeg coast and up back home)
thoughts or ideas welcome.. btw i have done a few hundred miles in a sitting on several occasions so have some experience of aches that come with the territory just not on this bike
thanks in advance peeps
 :D
« Last Edit: 03 April 2014, 11:08:15 pm by roxysaltmer »

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
Re: first little trip
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2014, 12:16:03 am »
The 600 is a very capable tourer - many first reviews called it a poor man's VFR. Until they realised it was better.  ;)

A few hints: the usual ensure your tyre pressures are good - a soggy rear will become worse with load. Jack the preload up a few notches, etc etc. Sounds like you've toured before, so it's a bit pointless repeating the usual gubbins!

You shouldn't have any problems (apart from the usual handling like a tractor!) with that load. I'd question pillion comfort though on a longer trip, especially if you have panniers fitted! You may need to stop a bit more often for the passenger's sake. But the bike will take it fine. Fazers will take almost anything:

« Last Edit: 04 April 2014, 12:24:07 am by ChristoT »
The Deef's apprentice

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2014, 07:15:52 am »
Any excuse to get another picture of that monstrosity on here!
Some say...

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2014, 07:36:24 am »
Which one? You know you're jealous of the trailer! ;)
The Deef's apprentice

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2014, 12:15:57 pm »
I live in Pembrokeshire.

Used to work in Pembroke Dock.

A couple of us foccers enjoy mid wales rideouts, very nice roads.

Depends on your route from Bangor to Pembroke Dock which i assume will be using the coast road to Aberystwyth-Fishguard-Haverfordwest......possibly you wont have enough time to detour via some of Mid Wales where i could recommend a couple roads.????

& depends what sort of stuff you wanna see?

Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

roxysaltmer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2014, 08:30:03 pm »
thanks for the replies, i was planning the coast route down to pembroke dock. i haven't done any touring before (the few hundred miles in a sitting has been occasions to see friends) so i guess i need to hear the usual gubbins if you wouldn't mind....i guess this trip for me is about seeing different places, test the waters see how many miles i can do two up, won't have big panniers, just throwovers for now, top box and tank bag and just generally get some experience...

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2014, 08:48:44 pm »
Well a little visit to Aberystwyth prom is worth it...it's a uni town, quite affluent, usually loads o bikes in good weather & worth a cup o tea & some quality people watching (letching :b ).

If you get time then theres a lovely road off the A44 near Aberyswyth which takes you to Devils Bridge.....then from Devils Bridge to the southern side of Aberystwyth...it's a scenic road so nice for the pillion.

Further south then there's nice fish & chips in Aberaeron....you hang a right when in centre of town...it's also sit in if you like...like a posh chippy.

Once you've gone through Cardigan en route to fishguard you'll see a left which is also at a Murco petrol station...it's the B4329 which takes you over the Presseli hills... Very mystical....supposedly where the bluestones came from for stone henge...nice viewpoint at the top & then a cracking ride down to Haverfordwest without needing to go via fishguard....20 minutes later you'll be in Pembroke Dock.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

roxysaltmer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 April 2014, 08:57:52 pm »
thank you kindly sir...noted.. :)

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 April 2014, 08:16:33 pm »
hi roxy, the best advice  i can give is to have plenty of short breaks. if your bum starts to ache its too late.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist