Date: 29-03-24  Time: 05:13 am

Author Topic: petrol stations and lids  (Read 19709 times)

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
petrol stations and lids
« on: 16 March 2012, 07:44:51 pm »
im so pissed off the other day went to the esso station just outside doncaster on the wakey road just after picking fiance from work 1020pm got to forecourt lifted nozzle off then a snotty little kid over tannoy can you take your helmet off, so the nearly new missus with flip lid went upto window with lid up asking why , and the git said for his own safety arrr, then he said we ' both 'had to take are helmet off the previous week i had no problems at that time except the women casheir locked the door which didnt bother me, so fuming wanting to rip the kids head off put nozzel back and went to station a mile up the road with a women casheir who wasent bothered  :lol (but petrol was 3p a liter more
anyone had any problems like this

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
Re: petrol stations and lids
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2012, 07:59:58 pm »
To be honest, If I was alone in a petrol station at 10.30 at night I'd say the same thing.
My local Esso has a lids off policy so I don't use it.

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2012, 08:08:08 pm »
i cant see the problem with his safety the door locked and him sat behind inch thick bullet proof glass, poor me in the cold just got nice and warm having to get cold again

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2012, 08:09:03 pm »
My regular filling station at Sainsbury's implemented a similar policy a few years ago after a spate of shop robberies by people wearing crash helmets to hide their faces.
I found it a nuisance, wrote to their head office explaining why and pointed out that a notice on the door wasn't likely to stop helmeted thugs entering the shop to rob them anyway. I also suggested that they could let bikers pay at the "night pay" window. They wrote back saying they'd think about it and a few weeks later dropped the policy.
It may be that Esso have had a lot of petrol thefts and don't have ANPR cameras in which case they probably won't respond to protests about the inconvenience to bikers. They're not obliged to sell you petrol if they don't want to and the profit on 18 litres of fuel isn't something they'll lose any sleep over. At least with a supermarket chain you can threaten to do your grocery shopping elsewhere too!

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2012, 08:14:38 pm »
Where a Burka under your helmet next time you go in there. That'll fok em right up.

:lol
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2012, 08:26:02 pm »
Where a Burka under your helmet next time you go in there. That'll fok em right up.

:lol
:rollin
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2012, 08:28:37 pm »
SHHHH, all the stations round here used to have the no lids policy. but over the last year they seem to have relaxed it and i havent been challanged for ages.

Andy Clap

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Fazer 600
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2012, 08:38:09 pm »
I always take mine off anyway (one reason I prefer a safety-buckle strap to D-rings).  Don't really see the big deal  :\

Kingy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 March 2012, 08:42:13 pm »
Flip-Up Lid, no problem

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 March 2012, 09:19:22 pm »
are lass had a flip up and the @xxx kid asked us both to take our lids off wont be going there again

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 March 2012, 09:42:12 pm »
I normaly wear a balaclava under the lid, or at least a neck snood over head and mouth.
oddly when i filled up the other day in kent i took lid off and payed with the balaclava on lol, not a word was said. but the attendant did seem a little shakey :P

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 March 2012, 09:42:45 pm »
I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago, that was an Esso station too.

I took my lid off and he had to serve me, even though I was wearing a balaclava and made him look a tit in front of half a dozen customers :D

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 March 2012, 09:44:04 pm »
There are too many coincidences in my life at the moment, you posting that ghostbiker at the same time is just the latest in a string of 'em.

It's a sign...we're doomed!!!..or maybe it's just me? :)

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 March 2012, 01:25:31 am »
Ive said this before, use the Pay At The Pump systems....

That way no need to take your lid off and you dont even have to get off your bike to pay  :rollin

to be fair i have a garage across the road from my house, he makes everyone take their lid off except for me... ive been going there with my car and bike for 7 years though so i dont think hes too bothered....

although few weeks ago one garage made my missus take off her lid to pay while i filled up, but then let me go into the shop and use the toilet with my lid still on..... i think some have cameras by the tills and so they have to see full face.... but i agree with the Burka thing... try it next time  :lol
Ride It Like You've Stole It

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #14 on: 17 March 2012, 12:23:41 pm »
I always take mine off anyway

I do too, I just consider it polite and frankly taking it off and putiting it back on adds less than a minute to the time you spend there which, as you say, isn't really a big deal.

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 March 2012, 12:37:02 pm »

.... but i agree with the Burka thing... try it next time 

But it's a no lids policy, NOT a no burka's policy   gggrrrr......

Hodge

• Foc-U suck-up-to-admin and good taste in bikes Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX650F
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 March 2012, 04:53:34 pm »
My local station never asks me to remove mine as they know me and my bike. I've offered to remove mine at petrol stations and they've just told me not to bother and everything is fine. If asked at a station I don't normally frequent I will take it off.

pilgrim

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 March 2012, 05:14:43 pm »
Taking my lid off and puting back on again is a bit more inconvenient, due to the fact that I have hair, quite a lot of it,
so lid off = strip down and getting dressed again.
And where are you suppsed to put your expensive lid down anway?
I've had this happen loads around here. So what I do now when asked to take it off before I can fill up is;
Lid off, fill up, tube and jacket off, re-tie hair, jacket etc back on, walk to pay desk WHILST PUTTING MY LID BACK ON :lol :lol 
and see if they refuse to accept my money.
I know, childish, immature, etc but if they can be twats, so can I. :b

Its better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.

Tori

• Tent Pole Erector / Truck Hunter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 March 2012, 06:10:39 pm »
Bullet proof glass? Lol, seriously? Not at my local BP! I think if you work in a 24 hour station then the no lid policy is just fine. If you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't mind right?

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #19 on: 17 March 2012, 07:57:23 pm »
I had the manager of Morrisons ask me once to remove my open face helmet instore as I was paying. I asked him two questions.

Question one - Can you please take me to the sign at the entrance where is clearly states that store policy requires customers to remove helmets before entering? His answer, "erm, no, we don't have one". I informed him that this is a legal requirement, and if it is not stated, I am not obligated to remove it.

Second question - If I was wearing a Burka, would you refuse to serve me? His answer "No, of course not", to which I responded "So, to clarify, you are a bigot, racist who is unaware of his job and coming up with ideas above his station? Do you really want to take this to the next level, or would you rather just apologize now and walk away?" He did.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 March 2012, 10:27:11 pm »
My brother and me pulled into a fuel station one time, I got off the bike to fuel up and he stayed on his to fill up. I got served with out a problem, he on the otherhand was told to remove his helmet before he could be served! After much grumbling he took it off and put it on the pump, it was a windy day that day and of course the wind caught his lid and off it went bouncing down the road, so next time someone asks me to remove my lid, I'll just move on to the next station or get off my bike, take my lid off, take it inside and ask them to look after it whilst  I fuel up.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 March 2012, 10:33:28 pm »
Taking my lid off and puting back on again is a bit more inconvenient, due to the fact that I have hair, quite a lot of it,

Err, so do I, in a pony tail. When I'm out riding I stick a second pony tail band at the bottom.

Yes, it gets messed up a bit when I take my lid off, but it doesn't bother me.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 March 2012, 10:35:26 pm »
And where are you suppsed to put your expensive lid down anway?

(Missed this bit on the first post, looks like the Mods still don't trust us kiddies with an edit button)

I usually put mine on the flat top of the pump or on the plinth it stands on. 

If you're worried about it being mucky, put your gloves down first, palms up, and put the lid on those.

pilgrim

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 March 2012, 01:25:50 am »
What??
Put my gloves down on the crappy dirty floor where all the idiot diesel buyers have spilt their muck and get my gloves covered in crap instead??
Sod that. :lol
Flat top pumps?? What them then? Not round here much mate.
God, Grahamm, sometimes you are so reasonable it makes me want to puke! :pokefun
Its better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #24 on: 18 March 2012, 06:06:02 am »
I think it is impolite to leave one's hat, not to mention helmet, on when entering premises. I always take it off. Put it in my topcase, or carry it in my hand (don't like bikes that don't have topcases :)   ).

It was interesting once I entered a bank in a hurry and took my helmet just at the door... while wearing balaclava underneath. The look on staff's faces: priceless!   :rollin
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.