Date: 27-04-24  Time: 15:35 pm

Author Topic: Leaking fuel  (Read 3348 times)

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Leaking fuel
« on: 11 March 2012, 11:07:10 pm »
My bike is parked outside all the time, not always covered, its parked near my door so I regularly walk past it. I've noticed just recently a strong smell of petrol when passing the bike and then this morning I noticed a small damp patch under the bike. When I smelt it it was definately petrol. Its dripping very slightly from, I presume, the carb drain pipes. Any ideas on whats causing this and is it possible to turn the petrol off, as I've never seen the fuel tap, I know it has one somewhere! Any clues please

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: Leaking fuel
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2012, 01:20:15 am »
Fuel tap is under the tank and fitted to the tank itself. Yeah I know its an odd place for it LOL. To get to it just remove the front bolt that holds tank. Lift tank and the tap is fully available.

As for the overflow / leak my first check would be a stuck float in one of the carbs.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2012, 07:05:36 am »
The fuel tap is solely for when the tank is removed for maintenance jobs.  Stuck float would tend to show up as fuel leaking heavily all the time and it would cause running problems. 

Consider this as another possible cause: http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103599&highlight=found+carb+failure+mode or perhaps a leaking float needle valve.

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2012, 08:03:36 pm »
Excellent bit of info, thanks for that :)  Looks like a carb strip down and check is on the cards in the near future! Are these carbs relatively easy to remove and put back on? I only ask as I have bad memories of removing old Kawasaki and early Gixer carbs!

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2012, 09:31:04 pm »
I think they're easy but then I would say that having removed a few over the years.  Much easier than old Kwak stuff, that's for sure.

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2012, 09:48:37 pm »
Thats good to hear cos those old Kwacks were an absolute pain :'( , it'll have to wait for a while tho,  its not leaking bad just now and its not affecting the running of the bike......yet.  Once again, a small but significant issue, solved easily by asking the question on here. Thanks chaps :)