Date: 18-04-24  Time: 09:52 am

Author Topic: anyone got photos of Fazers with jackup kit installed?  (Read 2504 times)

justanothernoob

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
anyone got photos of Fazers with jackup kit installed?
« on: 15 July 2016, 03:38:52 pm »

I'm considering a jackup kit for my 2000 FZS 600.

I hear that they improve the turn-in but compromise some of the stability. But I haven't been able to find any reviews from people with mentions of any impact to stability - which I guess means that the impact is negligible?

And haven't been able to find any photos so I can see what the bike looks like with the kits installed to get a feel for how much it lifts the rear end.

The options are 25mm, 40mm or 50mm. Or none at all.

Anyone got any pics or real-world experience on the impact to stability?

Cheers,

David

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: anyone got photos of Fazers with jackup kit installed?
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2016, 05:13:15 pm »
Bike will lean more on the side stand, and the rear wheel will only just clear the floor on the centre stand, if at all, depending on which size dog bones you choose.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Sidewinder

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 July 2016, 07:55:28 pm »
For some unknown reason I am having problems trying to get my reply to you bud so if it appears several times I apologise.
I will also post pictures in a different message but here goes again

Hi mate I just recently installed (about 3 weeks ago) 25mm jack ups and she's a different bike, handles better, more predictable, stable and responsive steering is an understatement.
The rear wheel does touch the ground very gently but I like it, it gives a tripod effect when she's is up on centre stand and sits more stable as dasrsi says she does lean over a tad bit more but it's nothing to worry about.
It does make for a stiffer rear wheel turning when your greasing your chain though but again it does spin so not a problem.
25mm isn't really noticeable on the rear end when you look at her from the side or rear not like the 50mm I would have thought.
I got told by a dealer (I don't know whether he was yanking my chain but after changing the dog bones it makes sense) that when Yammy did their research all those years ago they found the average height of the Euro male was 5' 9'' and as I am 5' 10'' my girl always felt just that little too small (yes ladies an inch does make a difference honest lol) jacking my old gal up that 25mm makes such a big difference she's so comfortable to ride now too.
It took all in all about half an hour to do just take the weight off the swinging arm by jacking it up ever so slightly undo the nuts and the bolts will fall out with a push of your finger and the torque wrench settings for the nuts is 48nm (Newton Meters).
The pictures are of how the rear wheel sits on the ground on centre stand and the dogs in situ under the bike.
Hope that helps mate
Cheers
omnia causa fiunt

Sidewinder

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2016, 08:50:48 pm »
Hope this works!
omnia causa fiunt

sgpwwg

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2016, 10:44:39 pm »
Have you thought about dropping the yokes through the forks.  I have done this (25mm) and this does the same as longer dog bones without the issue of the wheel touching the floor on the centre stand or causing to much lean on the side stand.

justanothernoob

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2016, 06:56:07 am »
thanks Sidewinder - your explanation and the photos helped a lot  :)

I'm thinking of going for the full 50mm with the hope that it will increase the seat height profile too just for aesthetics. I'm thinking of replacing the whole seat with a Ducati Monster seat with little or no bezel for a minimalist and clean street-fighter look - which is why I'm looking for as much gap between that rear wheel and the seat as I can get.

But I'm guessing that will definitely put the rear wheel on the ground with the centre stand up and I may have to get an extension made for the side stand.

I'm looking at replacing the front end with either a complete R6 / R1 front end (which will reduce the height too) or apparently a KTM SuperDuke 990 set of forks will fit and they're the same length (near as damnit) as the stock FZS 600 forks.

Dropping 1 tooth on the front and adding 4 on the rear too for a 'bit more pickup'   ;)

I got the Fazer for a cheap price so, while there are other bikes out there that might be more suited, as stock, to what I'm trying to achieve, it actually works out cheaper in the long run to just mod the Fazer - as long as I don't stuff-up the geometry and handling!

Sidewinder

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 July 2016, 04:57:14 pm »
Hi bud, yeah I've seen them that high when they've been street fighter'd, it sounds good with your idea's maybe you could put a few photo's on when you've done it.
I'm with you on the fact the rear wheel will be on the floor have you considered removing centre stand all together and using a universal front and rear paddock stand?
I think fleabay do them for around 20-25 quid.
With both the the R6 and duke's forks being USD's and adjustable you should get the suspension sorted but messing with suspension I've always found it's all about trial and error and seeing what feels right.
Fazer mate, bullet proof you can't go wrong be nice to see her on the site when she's done.
Cheers 
omnia causa fiunt