Date: 25-04-24  Time: 21:53 pm

Author Topic: First motorcycle  (Read 7909 times)

Gaiare

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
First motorcycle
« on: 22 August 2015, 10:17:17 pm »
I am 16 years old looking to get my first motorcycle. Looking at a 2000 fazer 600 with 38000km or like 25k miles for about $3000 or what like 1900 pounds. The choices are more limited in my country than I would like so I've only been able to find one example of a decent looking fazer. I am in ukraine, the bike was brought here from france and had almost all its miles put on it there. I'm looking for a reliable bike that I can just ride a lot without worrying much about something breaking down. Would a 25k fazer be a good first bike buy? Id really appreciate any advice.
Pictures of the bike: http://www.motosale.com.ua/gall.php?mID=406665

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: First motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2015, 10:36:55 pm »
I Think it would be an excellent choice for a first bike.

It was my first bike. 8)

Just be careful with it because they are faster than they look.

They are reliable.  But every bike will need maintenance. Learn to ride. Learn to maintain.

Compared to some other manufacturers then they are a reliable bike.

Much help is available if you have any mechanical problems.

Ask questions.

Good luck

Keep us updated

Welcome to Foc-u

:faz
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Gaiare

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2015, 10:43:59 pm »
Is it general noobie excitement for anything on two wheels or is this one in pretty good shape for 25k? With good maintenance and care and assuming this one isnt flawed what kind of mileage might I be able to realistically rack up? Is 1900 pounds expensive by fazer standards? It seems like a great bike to develope all sorts of riding skills. Thank you for the response.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2015, 11:04:59 pm »
Is it general noobie excitement for anything on two wheels or is this one in pretty good shape for 25k? With good maintenance and care and assuming this one isnt flawed what kind of mileage might I be able to realistically rack up? Is 1900 pounds expensive by fazer standards? It seems like a great bike to develope all sorts of riding skills. Thank you for the response.

Well it certainly looks nice on the photos.......& 25k is pretty low mileage.....to back up proof of the mileage i can see that it has the standard (black) steel downpipes instead of aftermarket stainless steel types (originals rust away quickly so this shows that it is in good shape)

Also from what can be made out on the photo the suspension fork stanchions are pretty clean looking....in the uk they are often pitted, like corrosion on the alloy from stone impacts and bad weather effect.

It also looks as if it has been jacked up on the rear end.....a nice modification that is easily done......you can see the way the gap between the tail and the back wheel is quite large....p,us the back wheel is almost touching the grass while on the centre stand.

These bikes can do 100, 000 miles if looked after...maybe more.

Price is about same as UK

It is the S model,  nice paint, larger capacity fuel tank, 200 mile range

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: 22 August 2015, 11:07:42 pm by noggythenog »

Gaiare

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2015, 11:11:51 pm »
That helps a ton. Thank you. Would you suggest swapping out the downpipes pretty soon or just wait for them to wear out? Also I'm about 100 kilos would I want to look into future suspension mods or will it handle fine. Looking to commute and ride around but would also like to hit some twisty stuff.

Does the chain look rusty? Although the seller says its a golden chain upgrade maybe that's just what it looks like.

I read a lot of conflicting things about the front sprocket nut. Some say it might wreck your engine others don't mention it at all. What do you make of it? Any other areas I might look out for?
Again thanks a lot.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2015, 11:13:27 pm »
Are you allowed to get a 600?
Laws are different over here.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Gaiare

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2015, 11:17:24 pm »
Man laws are real weird here. At 14 we can get below 50cc. At 16 we can ride any size bike but we can't drive a car until 18. So yeah I can essentially buy a busa right now.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 August 2015, 11:26:40 pm »
That helps a ton. Thank you. Would you suggest swapping out the downpipes pretty soon or just wait for them to wear out? Also I'm about 100 kilos would I want to look into future suspension mods or will it handle fine. Looking to commute and ride around but would also like to hit some twisty stuff.

Does the chain look rusty? Although the seller says its a golden chain upgrade maybe that's just what it looks like.

I read a lot of conflicting things about the front sprocket nut. Some say it might wreck your engine others don't mention it at all. What do you make of it? Any other areas I might look out for?
Again thanks a lot.

No problem, welcome to the fold

Dont worry about the downpipes....keep an eye on them & prepare for them to rust through but until then just enjoy the bike because the standard steel pipes are better for the bike.....when the time comes then just replace with stainless.

Take a look at where the pipes join the engine...this is the problem area when replacing because the studs are very rusty & are well known to snap when n attempt is made to unfastem them....spray them regularly with a purpose made penetrating fluid so that when the time comes they are more likely to unscrew instead of snapping.

Dont worry about the rear shock...ok...yes it will be well passed its best...they were always a cheap shock.....but for a first bike you will not notice too much....as you become a better biker then you will want to upgrade.....i was 110kg on a standard shock & going quick on bad roads & i did not know any different to realise that the shock was good or bad.

Yes....i thought that the chain & rear sprocket looked suspicious...but from photos and viewing on an ipad isnt the best way to see...not good definition to see....but beware....sorocket teeth should be sharp like a triangle point, not smoothed and worn like a whale fin.....chain should be wet, quiet & obviously not rusty......not too tight either.....too tight is worse than too loose or slack.....too slack is ok....you can always go tighter.

Sprocket nut.....buy the upgraded one from the uk...ebay perhaps.....not expensive so worthwhile doing....just to be safe.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 August 2015, 11:46:02 pm »
Man laws are real weird here. At 14 we can get below 50cc. At 16 we can ride any size bike but we can't drive a car until 18. So yeah I can essentially buy a busa right now.

Cooool, just take it easy, they can still catch you out if you don't respect the power that's on hand.  :)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 August 2015, 12:29:43 am »
Welcome to the forum.

What Noggy said.

I would change the front sprocket nut if the chain and sprocket needs change. The check is simple read the chapter in Haynes book about routine maintainence, the maximum stretch allowed for the 10 links of the chain is 150mm, if the chain already has been stretched more you need to change the chain and the sprockets with new:

Download owners manual, service manual, parts catalog and haynes service manual from here:

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;cat=2

There is plenty of snow in Ukraine and probably you will not be able to ride it at least 3-4 months in the winter. Read the section in owners manual about long term storage. One of the advice they give is to fill the tank full to prevent rust and to add petrol stabiliser to prevent fuel degradation, like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/petrol-additive-stabiliser-system-cleaner/dp/B002Y9KOQA

The Fazer is so good bike you can ride it the way it is. I would not bother too much with too many mods.

Make sure you at least change the oil when you get the bike.

It is a brilliant bike with a lot of power so try to be super careful. Which is very hard on 16. It is very easy on that bike to overtake everything and go around cars like they have stopped.

Take care and safe ride  :)
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 August 2015, 08:38:17 am »
The most beautiful women in the world and any motorcycle at 16, would someone please adopt me  :D
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Gaiare

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 August 2015, 10:25:29 am »
Damn thanks for that. That's gonna come it real useful. And trust me, after the amount of convincing it took to get my mom on board with this Ill be as careful as a 16 year old with a hundred horsepower under him can be.

Ahh yes to be sixteen riding a motorcycle in a foreign country surrounded by beautiful girls captivated by your ability to speak English. Throw on a couple of years of lifting and it doesn't get much better my good man.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 August 2015, 10:36:16 am »
Damn thanks for that. That's gonna come it real useful. And trust me, after the amount of convincing it took to get my mom on board with this Ill be as careful as a 16 year old with a hundred horsepower under him can be.

Ahh yes to be sixteen riding a motorcycle in a foreign country surrounded by beautiful girls captivated by your ability to speak English. Throw on a couple of years of lifting and it doesn't get much better my good man.

I think your English is probably better than ours :lol .......why did you learn it at such a young age?, school, foreign educated.......or just interested?........wait a minute....."foreign country"........you are English :think ???

I doubt the ladies in Ukraine would be quite so impressed when i started talking :b

Gaiare

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 August 2015, 10:45:51 am »
Well. I'm actually Georgian. Lived in Ukraine for 15 years. Speak English because my parents managed to get out of the ussr and went to college in the states and so English was always sorta around at home. Then went to an American school to somehow attempt to preserve the prospect of an international college education after high school. Ay man its not exactly the English speaking per se it more that the girls here relate it to wealth spawning from all the business men who come here for "busssinesss". Money > anything else round here man.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 August 2015, 11:36:21 am »
Well. I'm actually Georgian. Lived in Ukraine for 15 years. Speak English because my parents managed to get out of the ussr and went to college in the states and so English was always sorta around at home. Then went to an American school to somehow attempt to preserve the prospect of an international college education after high school. Ay man its not exactly the English speaking per se it more that the girls here relate it to wealth spawning from all the business men who come here for "busssinesss". Money > anything else round here man.

Cool, great to have an American English speaking Georgian Ukrainian..........looking buy a French fazer.....i'm a wannabe Welsh Scotsman :lol

Stick around Gaiare...............will be good to hear more about those Ukranian Fazers.   ladies........pics are good :b

Keep us updated on the bike purchase, she looks nice.......remember to get all the correct riding gear too....no flip flops & speedos & t shirts......all the gear, all the time 8)

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 August 2015, 07:09:02 pm »
welsh scotty,  :eek good god man
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

Gaiare

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 August 2015, 09:03:28 pm »
Finally getting a chance to update. So I went to look at the bike. Its in relatively good shape. Altho seller brought it for resale and so its been just standing for a few months. Chain and sprocket in good shape. Starts up cold first try. Idles a lil floaty but that will get sorted with carb adjustment. Bit of paint coming of the engine. Tiny hole in the exhaust that can be welded. Carbs need syncing but that was obvious. Tyres will last til winter. Few minor scratches. Comes with a free oil change. Seller is not going below 3000. Other choice is a 2001 hornet with similar mileage for 3000 but I'm feeling the fazer.

As if I didn't have enough diversity in my life I was also born in Russia.

Sidewinder

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 August 2015, 09:09:16 pm »
Welcome, I agree with everyone on here bud, you won't go wrong with your bike for a first one, you can ride her like you stole her or take her for a bimble, she'll behave and forgive you if you make a mistake, be faithful and loyal and all she'll ask is you maintain her.. A little hint for your black exhaust mate, some cloth, a pair of rubber gloves and what we call over her in Blighty as GRATE polish its black it's messy but it brings those pipes back to black and if you buff em they'll even give a dull shine too, the polish can be used to polish barbecues as well as fire grates and of course your exhaust pipes.. she's a nice bike, you'll be amazed at the power just respect it.
She sound like she needs a little tlc get her up to scratch and then enjoy her, then you'll know and why we love em so much.
omnia causa fiunt

Gaiare

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 August 2015, 07:51:41 pm »
Thanks for the tip I'll try to hunt some down here. Seems like it might actually protect them a bit too.
The fact that the exhaust is pretty much in order is a good sign right? Most stock exhausts don't seem to last to 25k from what I can tell?
Anything else I can do for relatively cheap?
Yeah man I'm really excited. She sure is beauty. Way better looking than a hornet if you ask me. Especially in the three tone gold. Bigger in size than I first anticipated tho. Which is actually a positive.

Sidewinder

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 August 2015, 08:56:45 pm »
The only thing I've done to mine is the indicators bud, they're the standard ones but I found them not as bright as some other machines out there, after taking the lens off I saw why, they don't have reflectors in them so I got some shiny tin foil got some double sided tape and lined the inside of the indicators shiny side out being careful not to let the foil touch the bulb holder anywhere, it works a treat and I got much brighter indicators, one thing I do intend to do is the wing mirrors, you can't see much from behind except your elbows so the trick is to get a set of fox eye Fazer mirrors (2002/2003) they're slightly longer and it makes a big difference i'm told and also the forum agrees..
The trick is to get a bike that's got all the service stamps if you can, that shows she's been maintained bud, the engines are pretty bullet proof (detuned thundercat power plants) all you got to do is look after them and they'll go on forever.
Don't forget these girls are water cooled by the way!
The hornet is supposed to be just slightly less under powered than the Fazer I haven't ridden one myself but a few mates have and they've all said not as good as the Fazer, also depends on the rider.
My current girl is my second Fazer (my first was the plain gold mk1)... nah you can keep the hornet lol!!

I know what you mean about the exhaust, you should ask on the forum who's running with a stock one and with how many miles on the clock..
Should be a good thread, my girl has stock black pipes she's got 8575 miles so mines the first one to your thread! Nice one.   :thumbup
omnia causa fiunt

Gaiare

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 August 2015, 09:15:22 pm »
The hole is so small I wouldn't have even noticed had it not been pointed out. Its also right on the welded bit which will obviously be weaker. Pipes look in good order otherwise.
Ha. Service history. Man around here you're lucky if you buy a bike with documents and a license plate. They sell no document r1's round here for $2500.
The bike starts cold with old gasoline and unadjusted carbs. Seems well enough.

Plastic looks great. Really minor scuff on the rear. And all original with no bs aftermarket parts.

Its a bummer they won't let you test drive a bike here before you buy it. But hey I don't see what could be wrong with her.

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 September 2015, 11:22:37 am »
It was my first bike too and they are very reliable. But be aware that they are really quite powerful. If you're not careful on the throttle, you'll pull a wheelie and come off the back.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Gaiare

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 September 2015, 11:32:41 am »
So I ended up buying the fazer a few days ago. Didn't get off it for two days and now its time to actually start doing some work on it. Gonna try to change the oil and filter tonight. The bolts down there do seem kinda rusty is that normal for a bike this old?
She starts first time cold. never had to touch the choke. Idles at right about 1300 which is nice. Does sound a little rough idling when cold.
Will need to wash everything lots of dirt and crap down there.
Any suggestions on what I should check / get done on a 40k km bike with no service history? Oil and filters will be changed this week.
Will post pictures when I can get me a decent camera.

Sidewinder

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 September 2015, 05:44:31 pm »
Did the bloke not change the oil for you then? Bit of a bummer if he hasn't, You said he would throw it in, only asking because you said you're changing it tonight.
There's an old saying I go by ''If it ain't broken don't fix it'' but you can be proactive and keep it up together!

If it was me with a bike with no history and you're dubious of it pedigree I would do everything bit by bit and yes starting with plugs oil and filters.. don't forget the inline fuel filter too can get a little clogged if it's not been changed for a while.
Also why not check the colour of your brake fluids they should be a straw colour or there abouts (I think I read somewhere it should be changed every 2 years anyways) DOT 4 it uses, as I said if I didn't know it's history I would do it anyway and start with a clean sheet so to speak, coolant levels check and or change don't just add water put mixed antifreeze in or you'll dilute what you have already got in there, brake pads all round, chain sprockets (any flat spots in the chain)?
The list is endless really it just depends how much you want to spend bud but you need to be able to stop go keep on going and stay on the road so anything that helps you to do that check and see if it's alright.
Stay safe and enjoy
Cheers
« Last Edit: 06 September 2015, 05:59:48 pm by Sidewinder »
omnia causa fiunt

Gaiare

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 September 2015, 10:40:56 pm »
He gave me 4L of engine oil. Had to change it myself tonight. Went well. Oil filter was a pain to get off and boy did they hide that drain plug but otherwise oil change went well.
Bike starts great, idles at 1300. But the idle sounds rough cold and when I'm rolling on idle rpms and not giving it gas it accelerates kinda jerky. Once I give it throttle its smooth but just idle rpms it jerks. Any idea what's wrong or how to fix it?
Breaks also sound a little squeaky. Gonna check the fluid and what not soon.
Also this might be a real noob question but there appears to a purposely machined hole at the bottom of my exhaust can that started to leak some water like liquid after I ran the bike with the changes oil. Is this normal? The hole looks like it was drilled in.
Thank you.