Date: 27-04-24  Time: 15:53 pm

Author Topic: leaking fork cap o-ring  (Read 968 times)

Fazer Jim

• Cager in Training
  • Carbs rule!!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW K100 RT
    • View Profile
leaking fork cap o-ring
« on: 04 June 2015, 04:55:55 pm »
Just noticed a dribble of oil around the left fork cap. Seems to be coming from inside the fork itself. Initially I thought I had forgot to wipe up some WD40 but closer inspection leads me to believe the o-ring or rubber seal that lives with the fork cap may have perished. The cap itself is secure enough and the oil isn't coming out at the adjusters. It seeps out through the joint where the cap meets the forks. My forks are pulled up 10mm through the top yoke so the oil is running down the fork top and making it's way along the top yoke like the old Castol GTX advert. However, trying to find a replacement seal is proving a little troublesome. Apparently Yamaha don't sell it? Anyone?
« Last Edit: 04 June 2015, 05:06:50 pm by Fazer Jim »

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: leaking fork cap o-ring
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2015, 05:43:11 pm »
If you have a bearing factors near  you a lot of them sell o rings as well. You could take the o ring in and they should be able to measure it and supply a replacement.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
Re: leaking fork cap o-ring
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2015, 08:19:37 pm »
I had this in both fork tops, quite bad too - it wasn't the O ring though, it was a light build up of corrosion in the thread for the fork tops. I cleaned it out - fixed. Try cleaning the threads before you go hunting for rubber. Mind, I doubt you'd be able to clean them properly without taking the fork tops off completely. 10 minute job otherwise.