Date: 18-05-24  Time: 02:03 am

Author Topic: Mileage  (Read 5425 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Mileage
« Reply #25 on: 09 September 2014, 02:10:44 pm »
What happened to the other 3 litres?
Well I had done 15 miles with the light on so decided it was time to fill up!

So, if you divide 260 by 19, then multiply by 22 (litres) then you come up with the princely sum of 300 miles per tank!!!

Bloody hell.  :eek :thumbup
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 September 2014, 02:21:38 pm »
I find this graph very useful for calculating mpg. It takes into account solo and pillion rides, mirrors folded or extended (mirror area req.), weight, food intake, jacket floppiness, insect/bug impact, touring or crouched position, arm thickness and size of helmet to extract a true mpg exponent figure............
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 September 2014, 03:03:12 pm »
I use an app (android) called Fuelio. Been using it religiously since I bought the fazer tracking both fuel and other expenses such as parts and tyres. Find it provides very useful information at a glance.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kajda.fuelio&hl=en

That is just some of the fuel stats, there's another 3 sections above it with more details. And then if you have been entering other costs like I have there is a seperate section for that.

It's handy, I take out my phone after I pay for the petrol and put in the details before I leave the station. No websites to be going to, no spreadsheets to be updating. You can even let it track where you get the fuel by GPS or add notes to the fill up so you know what stations are putting out piss for petrol. Get significantly worse fuel economy from one particular station? Don't go back!

edit: I've not been on the bike since May practically due to a broken finger so those stats are from Jan-May, and yes I only use about €40 petrol a month.
« Last Edit: 09 September 2014, 03:04:38 pm by redthunder »

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 September 2014, 03:11:27 pm »
I find this graph very useful for calculating mpg. It takes into account solo and pillion rides, mirrors folded or extended (mirror area req.), weight, food intake, jacket floppiness, insect/bug impact, touring or crouched position, arm thickness and size of helmet to extract a true mpg exponent figure............
Maybe, but a logrithmic coefficient would yield a more intrinsic constant  :lol
Three lefts make a right

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 September 2014, 03:56:32 pm »

Ahhh crap - knew I'd missed something  :lol

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 09 September 2014, 05:01:53 pm »

Ahhh crap - knew I'd missed something  :lol

What about prevailing wind speed & direction,ambient temperature,relative humidity, tyre brand/tread pattern and tyre pressures. And bike clean/polished or filthy dirty? :lol

Arbie

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Honda Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 September 2014, 11:22:50 pm »
Im gonna try and break 300 miles to a tank. Im gonna brim it to the max with super unleaded then ride like mary poppins on valium. Anyone want to sponser me !!!! :lol

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10 September 2014, 07:33:16 am »
Im gonna try and break 300 miles to a tank. Im gonna brim it to the max with super unleaded then ride like mary poppins on valium. Anyone want to sponser me !!!! :lol
It's easily possible to do 300 miles on a tank. I did 74 mpg on my last boxeye once, but it was probably the most boring ride ever!
I set off in 1st, then change up to 3rd, then into top gear. Feathered the throttle to accelerate, rolled off very early before I needed to stop, and kept below 55 mph.
Got a feeling you'll be running on fumes though when you hit 300. (unless your on a Foxeye)
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Robbus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 September 2014, 09:23:09 am »
I've been regularly getting 260 miles to the tank, usually then takes 19l to (seriously) brim it meaning there must be a few more miles left on reserve. I expect mileage will start dropping soon as the temps drop though.

Cheers,
Rob

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10 September 2014, 09:30:55 am »

Arbie, in order to assist you with this scientific research may I suggest the following which I found very useful:

1) Chop off the front section of a pair of the wifes stilletos and attach to front of boots to aid aerodynamics (white patent leather is very slippery).
2) The use of stockings (70-99 dernier in beige) are essential aids for application to the legs and arms to reduce clothing flappy/floppiness.
In addition, tights with the legs cut off should be applied to your torso (70-99 dernier Red).
3) A traffic cone attached to the rear of your helmet provides an additional 3.196% reduction in drag factor (DRAG effect negated by the use of blatant drag queen stockings).
4) Inflate the tyres to approximately 58.45073 Psi front and back.

Good luck fella, may the force be with you  :thumbup

Arbie

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Honda Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 10 September 2014, 11:06:02 am »
Cheers frosties im gonna do just that. Except for the missus stilletoes....my nads look nice where they are thanks !!! Ill have to sacrifice a pair of my own ;)

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10 September 2014, 10:23:19 pm »
You cannot work out a reasonably decent  MPG figure this way - i.e., looking at the needle .

A better way is to fill up at the station and make sure you insert the nozzle so that the handle is facing 12'o clock to 6'o clock, i.e. down the tank.

1. Stop at the station , Fill the tank up until the pressure valve in the nozzle stops fuel. Keep trying with pauses. Keep clicking that nozzle until not a drop more fuel can go in. Now ride your bike until nearly on empty
2. Reset your odometer trip counter; repeat (1) above AT THE SAME PUMP you used before; keep the receipt showing Litres used and total cost; write the trip counter value on the receipt; then repeat 1 above; take a note of the new trip counter and write this on the receipt.
3. Repeat 2
4. Now, for the  two receipts , work out the MPG FOR EACH as follows:-

a) divide the number of litres by 4.5 - the number of litres is on the receipt - this gives you Gallons of fuel.
b) subtract the lower trip counter from the higher trip counter; this gives you Miles travelled
c) calculate MPG by dividing Miles travelled (b) by Gallons (a)

do this for both receipts.

when you are ready, grab those receipts and - for each receipt - add up the MPG (c) and divide by the number of receipts you have (starting with 2); this gives you an improved average MPG figure. now you have a reasonably  accurate MPG. The more you repeat step 2 above [and a-c] , the better the estimate; ideally you should repeat until the average doesnt change but this is difficult because factors such as drag (tyres, wind resistance, you!), riding style, ambient temperature and so on ... will affect your MPG ... but you get a better number than just working of where your needle is from the last fill up.

Simple math mixed with some stable test conditions, as stable as you can reasonably get, but I thought it may be of some help ??

This is basically what sites like "Fuelly" does but the above method does not require you to sign up to a site and get spammed via email as they sell your email  address on ;) - come on, you dont think you get something for free in this world do you

FIW , my average is 48MPG used on a 22 mile round trip commute, 5 days a week, 9 months of the year, on A, B and unclassified roads, same journey every time, 11 sets of lights on the journey so some stopping/standing. Rather sceptical of the claimed 65+ MPG I've seen touted , but hey if people want to claim it, why not ! what do I care

How about calculate MPL then multiply by 4.546092 for MPG.
Personally I'm  liking the simplistic idea of fuely doing the job for me ;)
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10 September 2014, 10:42:23 pm »
Yes, I can see how the math is taxing  :rolleyes
One still has to record figures / transpose receipt data into fully anyway, log on, upload data...
One man's easy is another mans headache
Great that there are so many ways to accomplish tasks, anyway I'm off to bed
  :z 
Three lefts make a right

Pal

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 11 September 2014, 07:11:27 pm »
Well the light has just come on after 230 Hooly miles and if it takes a similar 19 litres on Monday when I fill up that's around 55mpg
Not too shabby.

Pal

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 15 September 2014, 01:48:58 pm »
233 miles, 19.37 litres, just a shade off 55 mpg.
Normal riding will be somewhere around 60mpg give or take. That'll do nicely.