Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:02 pm

Author Topic: engine knocking---need help  (Read 1173 times)

hawkyzf

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
engine knocking---need help
« on: 19 August 2014, 10:46:34 pm »
 hi,i need help with a knocking sound that is coming from the motor-only when hot,between 2000-3500 rpm,mostly evident on the overrun(when coming back
down),with no load.no knock if under load (holding front brake in first gear at same rpm) knock disappears above 3500 and does not affect riding,vibration.engine clutch and gearbox seem
smooth,just this knocking sound...deep knock in the lower part of the motor,has only done 15000 miles-2001 model........i have changed the oil and filter-no metal chips or flakes,the knocking is evident in neutral/stationary and no knock when moving or under load (chain and sprockets are new)..as it's a knock more than a rattle i don't think the camchain or tensioner are the problem--i could be wrong though--the knock is only there at 85 degrees and above (operating temp) and is louder on the way back down from 3000-2000 revs at a standstill in neutral,it sounds like big end but i thought that would be more evident under load,this seems to be the opposite...any help would be greatly appreciated ........

The Gentleman Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ400
    • View Profile
Re: engine knocking---need help
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2014, 07:34:54 am »
I had big end failure on a car once at those revs and coming down was more obvious. I vote big ends from what you say, I'd get it checked ASAP. My engine threw a rod and locked the rear wheels, not gonna be fun on a bike :(

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2014, 07:58:28 am »
Sounds like the big end to me as well...

My dad had a similar situation with his old car, which ended up throwing a rod out of the bottom of the engine and spewing oil everywhere

You'll definitely want it looked at by a professional imo

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2014, 02:40:40 pm »
I hear you knocking--but you can't come in.