Date: 27-04-24  Time: 06:22 am

Author Topic: Why did you choose a Fazer8 / FZ8 over either a 600 or 1000  (Read 7352 times)

cisco43

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Why did you choose a Fazer8 / FZ8 over either a 600 or 1000
« on: 08 February 2014, 11:19:59 pm »

Can I just ask, why did people choose a Fazer8 / FZ8 over either a Fazer 600 or 1000

I'll assume that you wouldn't have been interested in the Carb version of both, but interested to hear reasons.

Also anyone who chose over make/model bike

I've also been looking @ Street Triples, (really did like) BMW F800R, & Honda CBR600F
Am also looking @ var. others but haven't yet ridden.

I have a FZS600, and am looking to change, but love my bike, but it needs money spending on it, and it doesn't get on with cold cold days, (I know how it feels!)
If I spend the money, I won't get it back, and I'd quite like something newer and safer (ABS) and non carbs.

I wish it was a simple as;

600 Good
800 Better
1000 Even Better

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
Re: Why did you choose a Fazer8 / FZ8 over either a 600 or 1000
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2014, 07:14:23 am »

<rant mode>

I have a FZS600, and am looking to change, but love my bike, but it needs money spending on it,

So instead of fixing the good old FZS600, you'll still spend money on the new bike, that will also need spending?   :)
There are no more bikes being made like the old 600, if you've got a decent one, hold on to it - it's a very reliable, low maintenance and FUN motorcycle. Everything else will cost more money or be dull. Or both if you go for a Honda.  :)

and it doesn't get on with cold cold days, (I know how it feels!)

How's that? Mine works sweet in any temp. I don't ride in minus 10 C, but around zero and above it runs sweet.

If I spend the money, I won't get it back, and I'd quite like something newer and safer (ABS) and non carbs.

Carbs are safe. Just make sure they're clean and tuned - shouldn't be a problem unless you ride at -10C or so.  ABS is nice, OK, but I wouldn't spend money on it, unless I was already looking for a bike... and there were no FZS600 in decent condition, but since you already have one...

I wish it was a simple as;

600 Good
800 Better
1000 Even Better

Bikes are about passion, so no one can choose except you.

I recommend you fix the old 600 and spend the rest of the money on fuel, beer and easy women. Decent motorcycles were made before 2004 Euro emmision laws - peak being second half of 90s, to beggining of 2000. Be happy you're not living in 2050, or 1900 and ride the best there is - fun, money, maintenance and even performance wise.  Those funny new exhausts with 100 filter layers and their balls cut off to satisfy Euro 4 emission laws... 

</rant mode>  :)
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

cisco43

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2014, 04:41:01 pm »

So, no Fazer 800 owners then
is that indicative of the number of owners.... :rollin Just joking people.

Slanimar, I take your point, and I am finding that out.

Bar the Street Triple, every bike I've ridden feels worse than mine.
I thought it may be 'comfy old slipper' syndrome, but I don't think is.
Is the Fazer FZS that good a bike???
I've had mine now for 11 years, have ridden other bikes, not for long periods though, but Fazer has been my No. 1 choice.

I'm just interested to know what the FZ versions are like, and why peeps chose them over x

It is a personal thing, but obviously there are aspects we can all agree on, even if it does or doesn't bother you.

I'm hoping to have another Fazer8 ride on Mon/Tue to see if I feel any diff about it.
Likewise want to try a FZS1000, and a FZ1

I am a bit sad in being one of those folks who like the latest, but only when the latest is actually better
(I think I've proved that point with 11 yrs of ownership)

I recommend you fix the old 600 and spend the rest of the money on fuel, beer and easy women

Cosmetically my bike is a bit rough, (not too bad), depending on these rides, I might just take your advice and balance carbs / do the necessary repairs, and enjoy another 11 yrs
and those 'easy women' don't pay for themselves!!

paulkemp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2014, 07:06:32 pm »
Exactly why I have an FZ8 . When I pull up there isn't another 10 parked to be compared too :-)
Also power delivery and handling is better on the 8 thsn the 1. Thats my personal opinion. 

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 February 2014, 07:32:19 pm »
I bought the Fazer8 as it has a bigger fairing than the 1000 & higher MPG. I didn't need 150bhp. I needed a bike with more than the 600, so the 800 was the best choice for me. Brand loyalty, local dealer 1 1/2 miles away and reliability were some of the reasons over other brands.
Reading a Street Triple forum, they are now built in Thailand and are suffering more issues than the used to. I had a 07 model for a couple of years, great bike.

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2014, 07:28:03 am »
I've had my Fazer 8 for a year now after riding an R1 for ten years then a Gen 1 Fazer 1000 which I loved, but was 50kg heavier than an R1 and used to pull my arms out on tight twisties, but huge fun and still 55mpg which the R1 did.
[/size][/color]Had a brief encounter with a Gen 2 Fazer 1000 which I hated, so tried the Fazer 8 which is a wonderful compromise, not the top end, but once powerband is reached.........................amazing. Still returns the magic 55mpg which the Gen 2 failed to do, handles like a dream, tours, tracks commutes, you name it, it will do it! Very comfy too[/font] :D
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 March 2014, 02:57:21 pm »
Horses for courses.
I loved my 6 Foxeye, one of the best bikes I ever owned. I've had 2 Gen 1 Fazer thou's which were also fantastic. Fancied a change and test rode loads of different bikes, but in the end I came back to Yamaha Fazer, this time the Fazer8, and at my age and condition it just is the best for me. Easy to handle, plenty of power, and very comfortable. Of course there are one or two tweets which I would like to have resolved, it's a tiny bit too revvy and the rear sus is not proprly adjustable (tho it is on never models). Despite this, I love it and it does everything I want it to do. Put a Mivv can on which sounds great and got rid of all the yamaha stickers, fitted rack and top box for touring, just waiting for this glorious summer we are going to have. Taking it to South Devon Coast at end of the month and can't wait.  :D
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

Dibsy74

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2014, 01:14:43 pm »
After 10 years of second hand bikes I decided to go new. Love the look of the FZ ( both the 1 & 8 ) but budget wouldn't quite stretch to the FZ1.
Was torn between the z800 and the FZ8. Glad I picked the Yam..

brian2649

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 April 2014, 11:42:35 am »
I chose mine because mainly because I wanted to move off my Sv650, but also they dont make a 600 version anymore. Also I got a cracking deal on a 2014 model at Wigan Yamaha. Glad I went for the 800, lot more power and torque than my SV.

david095

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 April 2014, 12:22:38 pm »
I'm pretty much the same as Dibsy, 15+ years of second hand, very old bikes, got my Fazer 8 with £2000 off the price (of the new 2013/14) bike , £99 deposit and 4 years interest free - couldn't not get it, plus I fell in love with the look of it, had never ridden one before but felt right sat on it, but as my last bike was an  '88 Kwak 750 shaft, anything was going to be better. Wasn't my bike of choice, would've loved a Triumph, but just couldn't/can't afford one.

But that said, I'm loving my bike, more than enough power for me (and I weigh in at 17 stone) and with the missus on the back (8.5 stone) it still goes and stops! Every one I meet say how good it looks, just need to get a new can on it to make it sound a bit nicer, proabably a bigger screen for next winter and get heated grips fitted and I'm sorted (although I'm still tempted to swap the black wheels for gold ones?)(and I've already put a Givi top box - aaaaarrrggghhhhhhh - but a necessity and it doesn't look too bad with the box on or off?)

Porquoi moi?

Fatwasp

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2014, 05:00:38 pm »
I chose a Fazer8 after owning a new gen FZ1 and GSXR750. I was looking for a compromise as I was spending too much on tyres and petrol but needed big bike thrills. As it happens I didn't have to compromise the Fazer8 is real world fast, handles well, is economical and with a touring screen and Akrapovic I can commute, scratch and tour. I am a lot quicker on the Fazer8 than the FZ1 as the power is more accessible and the riding position and wide bars allow you to throw it about with relish. Added a bit of preload and an extra 2 psi to the back to sort out the ride... spot on. Can keep up with anything. Bargains to be had now as well...

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2014, 05:12:47 pm »
I've had my Fazer 8 for a year now after riding an R1 for ten years then a Gen 1 Fazer 1000 which I loved, but was 50kg heavier than an R1 and used to pull my arms out on tight twisties, but huge fun and still 55mpg which the R1 did.
[/size][/color]Had a brief encounter with a Gen 2 Fazer 1000 which I hated, so tried the Fazer 8 which is a wonderful compromise, not the top end, but once powerband is reached.........................amazing. Still returns the magic 55mpg which the Gen 2 failed to do, handles like a dream, tours, tracks commutes, you name it, it will do it! Very comfy too[/font] :D

55MPG surly you jest

I bought the Fazer8 as it has a bigger fairing than the 1000 & higher MPG. I didn't need 150bhp. I needed a bike with more than the 600, so the 800 was the best choice for me. Brand loyalty, local dealer 1 1/2 miles away and reliability were some of the reasons over other brands.
Reading a Street Triple forum, they are now built in Thailand and are suffering more issues than the used to. I had a 07 model for a couple of years, great bike.

Just wondering why did you need more than the 600 and in what way does the 800 do that?

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 April 2014, 10:31:40 am »

Just wondering why did you need more than the 600 and in what way does the 800 do that?

I do a lot of touring so a decent amount of torque low down helps. Its fun thrashing a 600 for a blast, but after a long day thats not always what I want to do. I'm not saying you cant tour in a 600, its just easier on a bike with a bit more poke lower down. I went away on a Street Triple once.
The Fazer8 also has better wind protection than the 600/1000.

I also get 55mpg quite regularly. I've never seen less than 50mpg. I guess a lot depends on how and where you ride. I dont do much around town stuff and am fairly smooth. I dont hammer along and brake hard into corners, but ease off a bit earlier. I rarely take it over 10,000 rpm, theres no point on the rides. My front brake pads are just over 1/2 worn at 38,000 miles.
In contrast, the GSXR1000 I had did 25mpg at trackdays and got through front pads every 4 trackdays when I used 'performance' ones, so quickly changed back to standard.

http://www.mivv.it/risorse/8/187/340/dynochart_UY015SC2.pdf 

http://www.mivv.it/risorse/8/713/943/dynochart%20Y033LGX.pdf