Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:39 am

Author Topic: Project Ruby Racer (custom FZS600)  (Read 68928 times)

Znd93rus

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Project Ruby Racer (custom FZS600)
« Reply #100 on: 04 December 2014, 01:36:54 pm »
Very interesting built!
I've just registered and just because of your topic)

I plan about pod filters installition too (additionaly to my Sebring Power Jet slip-on). Can you tell how the bike runs on low speed and low engine revs? Is it still usable for streets?

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 04 December 2014, 02:35:35 pm »
I'm honoured, thank you.

You're jumping the gun a bit, I'm still in the process of sorting out the jetting. Even when I've got it pretty good it still needs to be set up on a dyno, which will be middle of next year at the earliest. Hope you're patient!
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

Znd93rus

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 04 December 2014, 04:21:47 pm »
Thank you, Iwill read the topic and ask questions, If you don't mind.

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 04 December 2014, 04:24:22 pm »
No problem at all. That's what this is all about, helping each other.

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

MarkWales

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 07 December 2014, 02:48:02 pm »
The pod filters look great and I am sure will sound amazing - looking forward to the next update

muddybuddy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 cafe racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 09 December 2014, 03:44:52 pm »
Can you let me know what jetting changes you made to your carbs please?

Standard jets.

muddybuddy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 cafe racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 09 December 2014, 03:49:48 pm »
Is there an echo in here?  ;)

Sorry about that both times I posted I got an error message and assumed it did not go, so I gave up. :\

Do you recall what the original rearset frame mount measurement is between centres?

Mark

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 09 December 2014, 03:51:44 pm »
I suspect that's the cause of the nasty hesitation you're getting at 8-9,000rpm. Fitting pod filters considerably alters the fuelling and you need to make changes to the carbs to compensate. I'll be making another jet change in the next couple of weeks, well maybe early January now, so I'll let you know how I get on. The bike will eventually go on a dyno for proper set up.

Something else which also needs doing after changing the set up, however small a change, is to re balance the carbs.

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 09 December 2014, 03:58:34 pm »

Do you recall what the original rearset frame mount measurement is between centres?

Mark

Where the footrests mount to the frame? I've measured it as 75mm.

muddybuddy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 cafe racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 09 December 2014, 04:09:28 pm »
Yep that's it Thanks :)

Znd93rus

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 20 January 2015, 08:43:33 pm »
No problem at all. That's what this is all about, helping each other.

Hello Ruby!

Std main jet is 115, am I right? And they are all the same in all 4 carbs?

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 20 January 2015, 11:29:23 pm »

That's what were in mine.

I've been trying to change the needle jet in accordance with the instructions that came with the K&N pod filters, but with no luck as Mikuni don't make different jets for those particular carbs.

Had a good informative conversation with a guy at Allens Performance who explained to me why pod filters are not a good idea. He basically told me to throw them away and put the standard airbox back on! He's right. When you open the throttle on a CV carb you don't lift the slide in the carb, you open the butterfly. The difference in pressure between the air box and the engine (I think) then makes the diaphragm at the top of the carb lift the slide at the correct speed. This means you get smooth fuelling. By removing the airbox and fitting pod filters you screw up all the hard work done by Yamaha to find the best size and volume of airbox. That said I have a ZRX1200R I have fitted pod filters too with an Ivans Performance Jet Kit, designed specifically for that bike with pod filters, and it runs like a dream. That's because Ivan spent hours and hours on a dyno with a ZRX to come up with the best solution.

So it's doable with pod filters, but will probably take a long time to get right. And that's if you know what you're doing. I don't!

As I see it there are a couple of options open to me:

1. Measure the volume of the standard airbox and try and create something similar to fit in with my build aesthetics.

2. One of my buddies suggested fitting one big long air filter covering all four carbs so as to create a small pocket of still air.

3. Fit some slide carbs. That's the very expensive option as you're looking at around £700 for a new set.

I will probably do the best I can with what I have and also look into option 1. If the build turns out as well as I hope then I may stump up for some carbs in the future.

They guy at Allens did give me some other people to ask, but he wasn't hopeful of success.

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 21 January 2015, 12:04:36 am »
Rumour has it that Dog London are the only people to date who were successful in setting up a Fazer 6 decently with pods. Ask Deefer, he knows more about them than me.
The Deef's apprentice

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 21 January 2015, 10:21:27 am »
Thanks for that. I think I've tried to contact them before without success. I tried again and www.doglondon.co.uk takes you to www.lithotechniques.com. I called them up explaining what I was after and the guy knew all about them. The guy I need to speak to is called Lee and he said he'd pass my number to him. Not holding out much hope for a call, but you never know.

I found some posts by Lee on www.disturbingthepeace.co.uk under the user name Leedog. [size=78%]http://www.disturbingthepeace.co.uk/gallery/browseimages.php?do=browseimages&c=6&orderby=title&direction=DESC&cutoffdate=-1&page=50[/size]

Don't suppose anyone on here knows him?

Znd93rus

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 21 January 2015, 01:40:28 pm »

That's what were in mine.

I've been trying to change the needle jet in accordance with the instructions that came with the K&N pod filters, but with no luck as Mikuni don't make different jets for those particular carbs.

Had a good informative conversation with a guy at Allens Performance who explained to me why pod filters are not a good idea. He basically told me to throw them away and put the standard airbox back on! He's right. When you open the throttle on a CV carb you don't lift the slide in the carb, you open the butterfly. The difference in pressure between the air box and the engine (I think) then makes the diaphragm at the top of the carb lift the slide at the correct speed. This means you get smooth fuelling. By removing the airbox and fitting pod filters you screw up all the hard work done by Yamaha to find the best size and volume of airbox. That said I have a ZRX1200R I have fitted pod filters too with an Ivans Performance Jet Kit, designed specifically for that bike with pod filters, and it runs like a dream. That's because Ivan spent hours and hours on a dyno with a ZRX to come up with the best solution.

So it's doable with pod filters, but will probably take a long time to get right. And that's if you know what you're doing. I don't!

As I see it there are a couple of options open to me:

1. Measure the volume of the standard airbox and try and create something similar to fit in with my build aesthetics.

2. One of my buddies suggested fitting one big long air filter covering all four carbs so as to create a small pocket of still air.

3. Fit some slide carbs. That's the very expensive option as you're looking at around £700 for a new set.

I will probably do the best I can with what I have and also look into option 1. If the build turns out as well as I hope then I may stump up for some carbs in the future.

They guy at Allens did give me some other people to ask, but he wasn't hopeful of success.

I didn't open my carbs yet, but what to compare. My carbs seems to me to be virgin w\o any mods.

I contacted to 6sigma carbs tuners from US about correct jets for my Fazer.
They told me that pod filters is a good idea for accelertion but at high speed they suffer from air turbulance and the bike could have less top speed or so.
Also they send me some tips tuning for faster throttle response. I think you all khown it all.
Actually I put "pod-idea" on the bookshelf for now and just order KN filter in stock airbox.

Ruby, you have already driven Fazer with pods. did you touch filters by legs? they should exactly near knees?

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 21 January 2015, 05:11:36 pm »

I contacted to 6sigma carbs tuners from US about correct jets for my Fazer.
They told me that pod filters is a good idea for accelertion but at high speed they suffer from air turbulance and the bike could have less top speed or so.
Also they send me some tips tuning for faster throttle response. I think you all khown it all.
Actually I put "pod-idea" on the bookshelf for now and just order KN filter in stock airbox.

I also contacted 6 Sigma about the jet kit they are advertising on eBay for the Fazer. They are in the USA and as far as I am aware the FZS600 was never imported there. However they seem to think that is not a problem. Here is their answer to my question of how you can develop a kit for a bike you haven't laid a spanner on:

New message from: 6sigmajetkit

We can use information found on the internet to determine type and sizing for the jets. Just because a bike wasn't imported doesn't mean we don't have access to the jets.

They also have a fair amount of negative feedback which doesn't fill me with confidence. I won't be buying their product.

Ivans Performance actually buy the bike they are making the kit for and do many, many dyno runs to make the best possible kit for the bike. As I said previously, my ZRX runs like a dream.

[/size]
Ruby, you have already driven Fazer with pods. did you touch filters by legs? they should exactly near knees?
[/size][/font][/font]
[/size]

I've already posted details of what I have done to the carbs.
[/size][/font][/font]
« Last Edit: 21 January 2015, 05:16:35 pm by Ruby Racing »

Znd93rus

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 21 January 2015, 06:11:24 pm »
where have you been, Ruby???  :eek   I've just bought 2 kits from them.  :lol

For Fazer 600 and VX1100.

The kit contains 2 sets of main jets. Will set and check temp balance and a\f ratio.

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 22 January 2015, 07:48:06 pm »
It just includes mains jets?!  :eek

It will need more than that. Glad I didn't buy from them.

Znd93rus

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 23 January 2015, 08:44:09 am »
It just includes mains jets?!  :eek

It will need more than that. Glad I didn't buy from them.

No!  pivot jets (1set), main jets (2 sets. I asked them for KN+slip-on and podfilters+slip-on sets) and some twist drills and some other parts for setup. Plus brochure with instructions and tips for tuning and faster throttle response.

As for DragStar kit It also contains 2 steps of main jets. We are still thinking about which air finter to use - KN air filter or still ride with OEM one. In this case they advised me to try 2 variants of main jets.

I have thermocouple and wideband oxygen sensor equipment but no moto dyno. Will try to check afr in motion.

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 23 January 2015, 05:53:25 pm »
Any chance of a photo of the kit contents for the Fazer?

Znd93rus

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 23 January 2015, 06:04:47 pm »
Any chance of a photo of the kit contents for the Fazer?

Will make some shots in a couple hours.

Sorry for quality.

6Sigma jet kit for Yamaha FZS600
6Sigma jet kit for Yamaha FZS600
« Last Edit: 23 January 2015, 08:29:16 pm by Znd93rus »

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 30 March 2015, 09:09:12 pm »
Ruby, you still alive?!?
The Deef's apprentice

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 30 March 2015, 11:49:33 pm »
I know, I know! Update coming soon.

Znd93rus

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 31 March 2015, 06:22:38 am »
We are waiting!

Znd93rus

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 23 June 2015, 02:55:36 pm »
I know, I know! Update coming soon.
Ruby, I have read that you installed CDI from ThunderCat. And what for? higher revs? more advanced ignition? Or anything else?