Date: 18-05-24  Time: 12:48 pm

Author Topic: Bike MOT has run out, getting a new bike advice pls!  (Read 2466 times)

Bluecray

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda NC700
    • View Profile
Bike MOT has run out, getting a new bike advice pls!
« on: 06 January 2013, 02:05:53 pm »
I've just realised my MOT has run out in December

I'm getting a new bike 15th , I'm part exchanging my bike.

Now should I get it MOTed to be safe or risk driving it without one?  Till new one arrives?

What is the fine or implications if I get caught without MOT ?

Shadrack

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: Bike MOT has run out, getting a new bike advice pls!
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2013, 02:32:30 pm »
I think this would void your insurance and if spotted by a jobsworth it could involve having your bike siezed or worse if involved in an accident even if not your fault.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2013, 03:10:42 pm »
If you get caught by the plod, they'll just issue you with a non endorsable ticket for £60 (no points), but will be looking out for your bike in the future. Its a bit of heresay about them siezing your machine, and not true about you not being insured.
The only way your insurance would be effected is if you have a bump, then your insurance do the typical "washing their hands" of you, but they do that for the very slightest of things anyway.

For the sake of £30, get it mot'd. You'll get a better sale value too :-D
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

glynblue2

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2013, 03:20:00 pm »
If you are getting a new bike from a garage why not book it in for an mot on the day you pick your new bike up and then pay for the mot or not?  better than getting nicked either way :)

Tori

• Tent Pole Erector / Truck Hunter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2013, 03:20:30 pm »
Best scenario: You get away with and no harm done.

Worst scenario: You come off, hurt yourself real bad, insurance won't pay out, you lose your home, mode of transport, health, job etc...

Get a bus for a week!

Bluecray

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda NC700
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2013, 03:29:10 pm »
ta for replies, think I'll put my halo on and get it MOTed and hope it passes, NB its 60 miles to the garage !! so yes risky!

I just hope it passes thats the only thing.... (05 plate)

Rebuilt

• DAS Born Again
  • Varadero 1000 09...used to be 99 Fazer in pic
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - honda Varadero 1000 (09)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2013, 03:53:33 pm »
Am i right when i say so long as you have a MOT booked you can ride the machine to said MOT garage  even when it has run out ?
As you say hope it passes otherwise they wont let you take it aut again till fixed :S

Working on this bit :OP

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2013, 03:58:40 pm »
Am i right when i say so long as you have a MOT booked you can ride the machine to said MOT garage  even when it has run out ?
As you say hope it passes otherwise they wont let you take it aut again till fixed :S

You can ride an un-MOT'd bike to a pre-booked appointment for the test - and crucially, home again if it fails.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2013, 04:02:15 pm »

You can ride an un-MOT'd bike to a pre-booked appointment for the test - and crucially, home again if it fails.

It has to be a "reasonable" distance away though. 60 miles is probably taking the piss a bit :lol :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2013, 04:32:13 pm »
i think it has to be the closest mot station  ;) ....60 miles is a long way with no mot,i have my own trailer and for cost of fuel and a drink would be happy to move it for you,as long as your close by.....where are you ? ,if not close parhaps some other foccer can help out  :)
One, is never going to be enough.....

Shadrack

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 January 2013, 05:43:13 pm »
Got this from Routh Clark Solicitors siteMotorcycle MOT Every vehicle that is 3 or more years old requires an MOT certificate to be used on the road.  It is an offence to use a motor vehicle on the road without a valid MOT. Any police officer who has reasonable cause to believe you were riding a motorcycle and have either been involved in an accident or committed an offence is entitled to ask you to produce your motorcycle MOT.
Your MOT is only a certificate that the motorcycle was roadworthy on the day of the test.  You cannot wave it at the police if they subsequently charge you with using an unroadworthy vehicle and expect to get away with it.  Your obligation is to keep your vehicle roadworthy at all times.
 What am I looking at? If you ride on the road without a valid MOT certificate you are looking at a fine up to £1,000, but no points.  However, no MOT means that your insurance is invalidated so you are probably going to be prosecuted for this also.   No insurance carries a fine, points, possible disqualification or other sentence.
The police do not have to issue an NIP and have 6 months from the offence to issue a summons.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 January 2013, 07:33:20 pm »
Smart move deciding not to risk it, it's not only eagle eyed police and accidents that could be your downfall, there are ANPR cameras all over the place.
I walked down to my local Post Office the other day and saw a police Smart car parked up on a business forecourt, they'd just left it there for the day with an ANPR camera clocking everything that went under the rail bridge.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 January 2013, 07:46:47 pm »
Its getting more and more common to put mobile ANPR vehicles out, quite a lot of cop cars have got it now, amongst the static cameras, and static mobile sites too. Big brothers watching you! :rolleyes

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 January 2013, 10:54:36 pm »
not sure on the incurance invalidation. friend of mine wrote of his car (BMW M5) and he only then found out that the car had no MoT.

The insurance are still paying out for the vehicle, less 5 or 10% - still a whack of money, but better than sod all.

may depend on the insurance though - I originally though it voided the insurance.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 January 2013, 11:56:27 pm »

may depend on the insurance though - I originally though it voided the insurance.

No, definately not. That's why cops can issue a fixed penalty for it.

Bluecray

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda NC700
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 January 2013, 05:30:13 pm »
Thanks for all replies dropped bike in for MOT this eve and thankfully it's passed  :rollin :lol :lol :lol :lol

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 January 2013, 05:44:47 pm »
 :smokin cool, always a good feeling when it passes. At least you won't meet these then  :bobby  :lol