Date: 27-04-24  Time: 17:36 pm

Author Topic: Anyone owned a ......  (Read 2316 times)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Anyone owned a ......
« on: 20 June 2014, 06:52:00 pm »
Has anyone on here ever owned/ridden a KTM superduke, or 950/990  supermoto?

Being tempted probably as a moment of madness by chopping in the gen II for one, and would like a  bit of an owner's review.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone owned a ......
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2014, 06:54:40 pm »
Steeeeeeve66 has got a 990 hasn't he? He doesn't seem to be around these parts much lately though...
« Last Edit: 20 June 2014, 07:05:20 pm by nick crisp »

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2014, 08:44:11 pm »
Hi Steve, the guitar tutor I do odd jobs for ie service a KTM L4 I think it is, has such. If you want to ask him I can give you his number. I am sure he would chat if you fancy popping over to us sometime as I am only 5 mins from his shop in St Annes.
 Give me a bell if you wish or a pm. :)
 Cheers Barrie

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2014, 09:04:45 pm »
Aegis did indeed have a duke/super duke.... I spoke to him about it one day... He doesn't speak highly of it. Loads of things broke, and KTM told him to solve some sort of brake problem by washing his brakes after every ride out :rolleyes

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2014, 09:32:45 pm »
I'm not liking the sound of this! Maybe it's just a pipe dream and I should just stick with the Fz1. :o

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 20 June 2014, 10:28:17 pm »
I've got an KTM LC4 640 Enduro with supermoto wheels.

Be prepared to lose your licence.  :lol
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2014, 02:59:23 pm »
ahthinkandythoughttheKTMwisapileoshit  :pc

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2014, 12:24:46 pm »
The SuperDuke was awesome fun, when it worked.
 :\
Depends what you use it for, I used it every day for commuting to work, it didn't take to the Scottish weather at all.
I owned it for a little over two years, reckon it spent close to six months of that in the dealers getting repaired.

Wiring harness and reggy/rec corroded so much they fell off, made the stretch of motorway that it happened on that little more interesting.
Wasn't happy at having to buy two batteries due to this too, apparently they're classes as consumables.

Fuel pump went pop when I was overtaking a van in some twisties, that was fun too.
The oil pressure switch blowing four times and dumping oil everywhere got old very, VERY quickly.
Tyre valves leaking, sprocket bolts chamfering the swingarm

The brakes were awesome, learned to do rolling stoppies with them, was so much fun.
Unfortunately they needed a LOT of cleaning.
A lot.
I had to strip the calipers and re-grease the pistons every month, even that wasn't enough.
The pistons ended up with loads of scarring and chips on them.
Few of the boys crashed due to them seizing whilst riding, KTM's solution was a "technical briefing" letter stating that the brakes needed to be washed and dried after every ride!!

If it's as a weekend toy, go for it.
If you plan to use it more than that, I'd probably pass.

I have been giving serious thought to the new version, but reckon as they don't salt the roads here in Kiwiland then it may, may, just be up for the task.

Some of the nsfw posts about it.
:D
http://fazerowners.yuku.com/topic/20113/And-theyre-off-Welcome-to-2009#.U6a-9qh7LR0
http://fazerowners.yuku.com/topic/19693/Talking-about-one-handed-wanking-monkeys#.U6a_fKh7LR0
http://fazerowners.yuku.com/topic/18645/I-must-have-been-Jack-the-Foccin-Ripper-in-a-past-life#.U6a_x6h7LR0
http://fazerowners.yuku.com/topic/18589/Here-we-foccin-go-again#.U6a_zah7LR0
« Last Edit: 22 June 2014, 12:45:53 pm by Aegis Bearing Mel »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 June 2014, 01:00:13 pm »

I seriously considered one o these as part of my everlasting bike thread.

What put me off one was the 2nd hand ones i seen didn't appear to wear their miles well.......seen an Aprillia 1200 Dorsoduro at Fort William yesterday & it looked well smart.....i like them but again i dont think they could see much rain & i always end up being caught in the rain.

I like the Gen2......it is seriously quick.......but on the twisty stuff imo it isnt any better than a 600 fazer as ive just learnt the last couple days following my dad on his bog standard FZ6......it's the extra weight that is its achilles heel.

Something light with good ground clearance is the way forward i reckon.....& i dont care what anyone says i may seriously consider an MT07 & a nitron shock next year.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 June 2014, 05:18:39 pm »
Luckily this will be my 'toy', and rarely ridden in bad weather. Had a crack on my bro-in-laws Tuono factory, and the v-twin thing is addictive. (it was no quicker than my gen II though).

I just fancy a change to something light and snappy rather than long and leggy  like my gen II.

Anyone want my gen II for £4750 with all the goodies on it?

Stupid Luke

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM Superduke R
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 June 2014, 08:13:03 pm »
I  have owned two Superdukes. The first was an 05 bike which I had from 2006-2008. I covered about 6000 miles in that time. Then in 2008 I bought a 2007 Superduke R which I still have. I have probably covered 6000 miles on that one too.

Neither was my only bike, I usually have 2-3 bikes on the go at once so I really only use the Superdukes for fun riding and sunny day blasts in the country. I have done plenty of trackdays on both bikes but never commuted on them. Consequently I have experience none of the problems Mel recounts. In truth I cant forsee selling my SDR ihave too much time and money tied up in it.

I have ridden Gen 2 fazer and v2 Tuono and wouldnt swap my Superduke for either. That isnt to say they arent both better everyday bikes but I consider the Superduke a better fun bike and I have my Gen 1 Fazer for everyday.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 June 2014, 10:27:46 pm »
Thanks Luke (won't call you stupid) .

I've never ridden one, but read just about every review that's out there. They all say they're awesome bikes.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of tank range did you get out of your early bike? It's my only concern really that I might not get far on it! My average rideout is about 150+ miles through the lakes and back to Blackpool.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 June 2014, 02:15:50 am »
I looked into a super duke before Stevie, apparently you are doing well to crack 100 miles on an early one (though you can retrofit a later tank which is a couple of litres bigger). A fella in the work had one and he raved about it, said it was a hoot to ride.

Stupid Luke

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM Superduke R
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 June 2014, 08:12:56 am »
Early bike tank can run dry in 90 miles if you are cracking on. I used to ride with a 749 and I would always need fuel before he did. I had to push it the last few hundred yards to a petrol station on 2 occasions and I used to carry a length of syphon tube under the seat so I could nick a bit from one of my mates if I got stuck.

The later 07 onwards bikes have a larger 18.5 ltr tank which I still wouldnt trust for regular 150 mile runs. I seem to get around 120 before the light comes on. The later tank is quite easily retro fitted to the earlier bikes (you need 07 on side cowlings too) and many have this mod now.

The problem isnt just the small tank it is that big twins gulp a lot of fuel when ridden hard. I have never worked it out but I reckon I am getting low 30's to the gallon, at best.

The only bike that regularly needed fuel before my larger tank superduke was a V4 Tuono. Even the 1098 and RSV4 seem less thirsty, probably because they are more aerodynamic.

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 June 2014, 09:56:17 am »
If it's a toy, go for it mate.
I managed to arse a tank of fuel on my 57 plate in about 100 miles regularly, saw it drop to mid 80s when I was, ehm, "making progress".
That was with the Akra's, K&N and other stuff along with a custom fuel map.
I did about 22000 miles in the two years I had her, including a trip to the Nurburgring, which was IMMENSE!
Glasgow to Lille in one hit was surprisingly easy, although the coolant leak in Nurburg and the fear about her going pop, not so much.

Gordo has an earlier model Adventure and it hasn't missed a beat, if you can I'd suggest going for one of the last ones with carbs or one of the most recent ones prior to the 1200 being released.
Good fun, nice toy, just don't keep it too long...

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 June 2014, 05:04:57 pm »

Just out of curiosity, what sort of tank range did you get out of your early bike? It's my only concern really that I might not get far on it! My average rideout is about 150+ miles through the lakes and back to Blackpool.

Y'see, there are these things called petrol stations...sure I've seen them around the Lake District too... ;)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 June 2014, 05:10:31 pm »
Yeah, they're few and far between where I go!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 June 2014, 08:27:24 pm »
Ha, ha. Your probably not far from the truth.:P

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 June 2014, 09:10:22 pm »
I think you actually need either a Benelli TNT or an MV Agusta Brutale  :D

« Last Edit: 23 June 2014, 09:11:31 pm by Frosties »
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 June 2014, 09:28:13 pm »
A bit out of my price range unfortunately frosties, but they are friggin gorgeous!

An 07 SD, or a 990 supermoto will do nicely for now >:D

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 June 2014, 07:48:15 pm »
After fitting my 16t front sprocket and a 50 mile round trip to work on the twisties, I've realised I don't really need an orange Austrian v-twin!

The bike grunts out of bends now with tyre squirming force, and is through the gears like a 600cc bike!

The only thing now is that it's showing my suspension up a little. Time for a new rear shock methinks :P