Date: 01-05-24  Time: 07:29 am

Author Topic: Silverstone motoGP advice  (Read 11639 times)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Silverstone motoGP advice
« on: 21 February 2012, 10:27:00 pm »
Myself and a couple of mates are going to the above event for qualifying day. We have roaming grandstand tickets. :D
Just a few questions really.
Has anyone been to the new circuit? Which is the best grand stand to watch from?
What time do the gates open? Silverstone haven't published this yet but would like a heads up guesstimate.
Any other useful advice would be really appreciated.
Many thanks
nick
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

glynblue2

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Silverstone motoGP advice
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2012, 01:32:05 am »
Club corner just prior to start and finish is a great place to watch

Kev8261

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2012, 08:01:21 am »
I went to qualifying last year, I had a great day out. I thought Maggots and Becketts were the best as you're closer to the track.

Watch out for the over zealous security, who were kicking out anyone who dared to go near the under cover stand at Becketts, even though there was nobody in there!!

Also, it may only have been last year, but be careful when they direct you to a parking space, when I went someone made a huge cock up and loads of bikes were blocked in, making it almost impossible to get out when you wanted.

I thought the food wasn't too bad, bit pricey, but I've been ripped off worse than that, cheaper and probably nicer to take your own.

One more thing, my friend paid an arm and a leg for tickets into the paddock, supposedly to see the riders. All he saw where the trucks and closed garage doors, you get the impression the riders are a bit 'up themselves' and are far too fabulous to mix with any low life.
Onwards and Upwards

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2012, 12:54:26 pm »
Club corner just prior to start and finish is a great place to watch

+1

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2012, 12:57:00 pm »
Actually the best advice I could give would be to go to the BSB rather than MotoGP

Totally decided on the last day, the last race, the last lap and the last wheel length - exciting isn't the word --oh wait - it is the word :D

I went to see the I Superbiker film last night - it covered the riders in the showdown pretty well but didn't really capture the racing very well imho.

I only enjoyed it because it was bringing back memories of that last race :D

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2012, 01:16:19 pm »
This advice is brilliant thanks very much everyone. Please keep it coming. :)

Actually the best advice I could give would be to go to the BSB rather than MotoGP

Totally decided on the last day, the last race, the last lap and the last wheel length - exciting isn't the word --oh wait - it is the word :D

I went to see the I Superbiker film last night - it covered the riders in the showdown pretty well but didn't really capture the racing very well imho.

I only enjoyed it because it was bringing back memories of that last race :D

I will probably tend to agree but myself and more importantly my life long Rossi fan mate, think that there isn't going to be many more oppertunities to see him on a factory bike in the future.

Cheers all
Nick

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2012, 02:08:52 pm »
I have vowed never to watch another bike race at Silverstone , its a car track and has too much concrete and no atmos , that said I vote Maggots too for the best viewing point
Its just a ride

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 February 2012, 05:21:04 pm »

I will probably tend to agree but myself and more importantly my life long Rossi fan mate, think that there isn't going to be many more oppertunities to see him on a factory bike in the future.

Cheers all
Nick

I have exactly the same problem. My mate supports Rossi, I was supporting Simoncelli.
*sniff*  :'(

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2012, 06:55:27 pm »

Cheers all
Nick

I have exactly the same problem. My mate supports Rossi, I was supporting Simoncelli.
*sniff*  :'(

True That.
It makes MCN's fantasy road race a really difficult decision in the moto gp class.

helen

• Lab spammer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati M800 S2R
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2012, 09:20:31 pm »
If you want to see the bikes a bit slower then Luffield in and out is a good area. 

I'm hoping to be marshalling bsb, wsb and motogp at silverstone this year, so praying I get allocated interesting corners  :lol
The lab spammer returns

LittleHairyWelshman

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Honda Blackbird
    • View Profile
    • Aberdare Park Road Races
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2012, 11:50:51 am »
TBH, the whole circuit is shit. Except when you are a pillion on a BSB rider, that's a hoot :D

I marshalled BSB and WSB there last year. Even for marshals the view isn't that great.  I will be marshalling the MotoGP and most likely be on the loop. The grandstand opposite maggots / becketts the other side of the loop would be a good place, but you have to accept, you are far away.  If you want close action go to www.aberdarepark.co.uk

There are lot's of little hairy Welshmen but I am The Little Hairy Welshman.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 February 2012, 04:46:55 pm »
I went to qualifying last year, I had a great day out. I thought Maggots and Becketts were the best as you're closer to the track.

Watch out for the over zealous security, who were kicking out anyone who dared to go near the under cover stand at Becketts, even though there was nobody in there!!

Also, it may only have been last year, but be careful when they direct you to a parking space, when I went someone made a huge cock up and loads of bikes were blocked in, making it almost impossible to get out when you wanted.

I thought the food wasn't too bad, bit pricey, but I've been ripped off worse than that, cheaper and probably nicer to take your own.

One more thing, my friend paid an arm and a leg for tickets into the paddock, supposedly to see the riders. All he saw where the trucks and closed garage doors, you get the impression the riders are a bit 'up themselves' and are far too fabulous to mix with any low life.

Hi Kev,

All that is great information, thankyou. One thing though
What time did you get to the circuit in the morning what time did the gates open?
Cheers
Nick

Kev8261

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 February 2012, 05:14:10 pm »
Hi Nick, I think I got there around 8am as I didn't want to miss anything, but I think the gates are open a fair bit earlier. I do remember that all the times of gates opening and what time everything is happening will be on he Silverstone website, but not until about a month before the day. Hope this helps.
Onwards and Upwards

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 February 2012, 07:28:13 pm »
Ditto the comments about Becketts, Club (for the small piece of track you can see), Luffield. The new Arena grandstand is also ok, you can also see them through Becketts from there. There are a few places which are ok, but none are great. Far too much catch fencing as its a F1 track.

Anyone going to a BSB event should be aware they open very few grandstands on the Saturday, and not all grandstands on race day.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 February 2012, 07:35:47 pm »

Assen has it sorted, a field with hardcore tracks and lines of conctrete strips to put your sidestand down on. Automatically you get people lined up in neat rows 2 deep with zero problems. Apart from trying to remember exactly where you parked the bike :rolleyes

glynblue2

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 February 2012, 02:44:50 pm »
One of the things about Club is there is a large hard run off and riders do go there after finishing the race so you should see burnouts etc plus its just by the start finish line.

JKay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 February 2012, 08:06:27 pm »
There is a magazine supplement all about Silverstone in MCN today ;) 

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 February 2012, 08:22:48 pm »
yeah i got it thankyou