Date: 20-05-24  Time: 14:26 pm

Author Topic: Not again!! Cam Chain Tensioner Spring  (Read 21478 times)

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
Re: Not again!! Cam Chain Tensioner Spring
« Reply #50 on: 16 September 2013, 03:29:54 pm »
the cap on mine is black ! but I have a black engine

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 21 September 2013, 03:37:55 pm »
My Gen 1 has done 39K and developed cam chain noise, the tensioner was fine the cam chain had stretched & worn.
I fitted both anyway, £99 for chain, £33 for tensioner. Can't see the point in fitting none standard parts when genuine parts aren't that expensive.

How long did it take to change the chain? I think I will do the same in the near future. I just replaced my tensioner but before I put it in I measured from the top shoulder of the tensioner body to the 'screw' inside ( top of plunger) with the plunger fully wound out -this came to 11.2mm. After installing and releasing the new plunger then winding the crank I measured it again and guess what, it came to 11.2mm. In other words my tensioner is at full extent already. Obviously if the chain wears any more it will start slapping the tensioner -and it will inevitably fail.
 Has anyone else changed a camchain?

Edit:- Ah, after dismantling the old tensioner I've discovered that the 'screw' stays in the same place in the tensioner body, it's not really a screw but a drive to turn the worm thread and move the plunger forward. Sorry if I worried a few people.oops
« Last Edit: 21 September 2013, 08:12:22 pm by Simon.Pieman »

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 22 September 2013, 11:49:23 am »
I don't know if the cam chain on mine is the original or not but my bike has 72k miles on it and I had loads of travel on the tensioner and I have no cam chain noise at all, only some transmission backlash noise