Date: 22-05-24  Time: 11:16 am

Author Topic: raingear  (Read 3476 times)

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
  • loving the new ivanised beast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
raingear
« on: 22 March 2014, 09:27:54 pm »
whats peoples opinions on the best raingear on the market and is there any that really are 100 percent waterproof ???????????
please god let the sun keep shining

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Re: raingear
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2014, 09:33:27 pm »
Gore-tex till endex buddy, never settle for anything less.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

fazerboy01

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2014, 01:36:32 am »
I'm a delivery rider for a motor factors and in the last 5 years have worn Spada Gortex Jacket and trousers that were billed Waterpoof, they were for a couple of days. I've also had 2 different sets of RST "Waterproof" Goretex Jacket and trousers, again, waterproof for a short period. allways the inner elbow, shin and crutch go first. I emailed RST praising them on the comfort of there gear BUT asking about waterproofing. The reply was that I had to re-waterproof the garments but they neither sold or recomended a product. I've bought a Spada one-piece over-suit, that so far has kept me dry as long as I seal the velcro properly!! On top of this, at work we started selling a waterproofing aerosol intended for soft top cars, Ive started using this too, it's called Fabsil.
Gloves, I wear Spada Elites in the winter/colder months and handlebar muffs, so no issues except for water running down my arm or when I'm on my own bike.
Boots, All Claimed Waterproof, I tried Weise, RST, Spada and Dealer Boots liberally applied with dubbin to the seams, stitching and elasticated sides, the dealer boots so far win and I'm on my 3rd pair because I wore them out lol
Another product I tried with mixed results was NikWax spray on waterproofer, not tried it again.
Under is some ebay links, hope they help;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dubbin-Grease-Waterproof-Protect-Shoes-Hiking-Walking-Rugby-Football-Boots-100ml-/140691949996?pt=UK_Clothing_ShoeCare_Shoe_Care_LE&hash=item20c1e4c9ac

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grangers-Fabsil-Superpruf-Spray-On-Clothing-Rucksack-Fabric-Waterproofer-Proofer-/121294737742?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Camping_Accessories&hash=item1c3dbad14e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spada-407-Waterproof-Oversuit-Grey-/160952454655?pt=UK_Over_Suits&var=&hash=item2579838dff

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2014, 01:43:14 am »
Gtechniq I1 is a fairly good product for waterproofing. it is solvent based though, so i suppose it could potentially damage soft fabrics, but I have never experienced this.

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2014, 07:12:53 am »
Use Goretex & wash in Nikwax time to time as gets clogged with dirt then leaks!
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2014, 08:45:35 am »
I've had my gore-tex Hein Gericke jacket for 11 years, done well over 200,000 miles in it and it has leaked once at the belly when I didn't do the storm flap up properly! That jackets seen some horrible monsoons too. It's on it's last legs now, but I can't bear to part with it even though it's stinking and filthy despite several washes.

My pants are aerostitch AD1 gore tex imported from the US. Had em for 3 years, can't fault them. I'll be replacing my jacket with an Aerostich darrien jacket, worth every penny.

My winter boots are H-G tuareg rally, again in gore tex. Never leaked in 10 years and similar mileage, again they're coming to the end of their life and I can't near to part with them. Replacement will be Altberg clubmans

As for gloves, just fit fleece muffs and wear summer gloves, I got tired of spending a fortune on winter gloves, and this is what I found best for me.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2014, 08:58:04 am »
+1 for the Hein Gericke Goretex jacket & trousers. Owned 10 years-washed every year in Nikwax wash& reproofed with Nikwax spray on waterproofer .Only place water gets in is the external jacket pockets in monsoon conditions!

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2014, 09:27:25 am »
Goretex, minimum, then what you can afford-
As everyone knows I swear by Rukka!
Why are they so much more expensive than other goretex clothing?
Quality? although the best I've used it's not infallible!
The after sales service is the reason! -
5 year guarantee, in which time if you have any problems whether it's with waterproofing, zips or anything you order in a 'loan' jacket or trousers which you have whilst your clothing is sent back to the factory and tested, this is then either repaired or replaced.
Going through this system I started with their entry level gear, when they've replaced damaged clothing I've upgraded everytime, I now have their ArmaS trousers (£770)
A lot of money? Shit yeah, however that's £770 over the last 5 years with another 5 year guarantee to come, works out relatively cheap over 10 years compared to the next best product which will need replacing after a couple of years!
Some say...

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 March 2014, 10:22:04 am »
I've gone back to using leathers and a waterproof oversuit in the summer. My Halvarssons textile suit is fine, apart from leaking through the fly after a while, but its too hot in 20c+. Taking the lining out makes it ok, but if you then hit a shower you have to put the lining back in. If its very wet it can take a long time to dry out, so next morning you could end up with damp gear. Very warm in the cold though.
My first oversuit lasted 10 years, but replacements have lasted for just a year (Alpinestars) or up to 3 for a Held suit. The 1st Held got damaged, and its replacement lasted 3 years before the main zip came away from the rest of the suit. Current suit is a Proof suit I bought at Louis in Austria. I havent tested it the wet yet, but it was rated well by Ride mag I think.

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 March 2014, 03:25:26 pm »
JESUS,,,,,,,thats some price punkstig cant get my head round paying that kind of money  :eek ,,,well ive made up my mind and gone and ordered the hein gericke blizzard pants and jacket very reasonable at 65 euro including shipping and while i was at it ordered a waterproof roll bag ,, 30 euro and 10 euro shippind all in all fairly cheap for wat sounds and looks like a quality product,,let ye know how the fair out ,, :faz

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 March 2014, 03:29:58 pm »
I wear HG Gore-Tex pro shell gear.
Sidi Canyon Gore-Tex boots.
Gore-Tex gloves.
My gear gets soaked but I stay dry  :)

Rukka will be my next set of gear in a few years when the HG stuff is worn out.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 March 2014, 05:12:52 pm »
My geae isnt specifically wet or winter stuff but I keep a hg basic one piece oversuit in the top box. Kept me bone dry in horrendous conditions. Had it for years and never let me down. Best £30 I have spent on gear
Intentionally left blank

Grandma

• Club Racer
  • What it says on the tin
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 March 2014, 09:54:41 am »
My geae isnt specifically wet or winter stuff but I keep a hg basic one piece oversuit in the top box. Kept me bone dry in horrendous conditions. Had it for years and never let me down. Best £30 I have spent on gear
Couldn't agree more, mainly use mine for trackdays or Summer when I have leathers on instead of Goretex, a bit slidey, but that could be a bonus for trackdays. No I don't get my knee down, legs too short. :'(
Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
If I had a brain I would be dangerous

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 March 2014, 11:07:11 am »
I find my (secondhand) leathers are good for about an hour, so quick shower not a problem.

Beyond that the Goretex stuff sounds great, but I'm on a budget and can't afford fancy textiles, and prefer my leathers anyway.

So I keep it simple and have a lightweight pair of Aldi waterproof trousers and a cagool under the seat. 100% water proof and cost around £20.

Even more solid would be a plastic one suit cost around £35 but not as comfortable and easy to get on or off as the two piece. Very waterproof though. I wore one during heavy rain across the Alps and was dry.

For the hands I use over gloves if it's really bad. I got some Wietse ones I got from getgeared.co.uk about a tenner. Take a bit of getting used to but 100% waterproof and have lasted well.

I've never found a solution to waterproof boots on a budget. Closest I came was a knackered old pair of second hand boots I picked up on ebay which I treated with a good coat of polish followed by several layers of bees wax, applied with heat from a hair dresser. They were nearly waterproof, but to be fair the boots were proper past it to start with, all the leather had split. Will be trying this again on a more solid base in future.

I buy pretty much everything second hand and so am always looking for DIY or traditional style solutions to these problems.

By the way for stinky jackets that still stink after a wash an anti-bacterial spray or wipes works really well, and saves risking your goretex in the wash. And baking soda (not banking powder!) can help remove odour.

Andy

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 March 2014, 07:27:38 pm »

THANK YOU hein gericke came home to three boxes today one big one smaller and one very small ,,as above i ordered blizzard pants and jacket and waterproof roll bag,was expecting something to go wrong with the order so quite suprised when i opened the first box  "which was addressed to me"inside was 1 leather jacket size 50 WAY too small, 1 pair of rst kevlar jeans,1 pair of sunglasses and a pack of oxford comfy thingys for round you neck,,all totaling off at about 290 euros worth......now i ordered NONE of this stuff.checked with de bank and they say i never got charged for this stuff either,,, now dilemma do i get onto them and say im very happy with my roll bag but ye never sent the blizzard pants only the jacket "both of which look like a proper peice of kit",,,and oh by the way thanks for all the free shit
an EXTREMELY honest person might try contacting them to return the items but another person might sell the shit on ,what would you honest folk do ????

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #15 on: 30 March 2014, 02:50:06 pm »
an EXTREMELY honest person might try contacting them to return the items but another person might sell the shit on ,what would you honest folk do ????

IIRC under the Unsolicited Goods and Services Act you can contact them and say that the un-ordered goods can be returned at their cost or collected at a reasonable time that is convenient to you.

If they don't arrange for this within a month, I believe you're entitled to keep the items as a gift.

AndyL

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 March 2014, 05:08:37 pm »
I'd offer to let them half them collected.

I've not had any luck with cheap boots. In a few cases I've used my Altberg P1 (police boot) on the bike to keep my feet dry. I've been impressed with them and suspect the motorbike boots would last well.

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 March 2014, 07:55:27 pm »
well having been sent stuff " from germany" i didnt want or need i done the right thing "def gettin old" and emailed them about their error,,tday email bk saying there was a mix up at the warehouse and the stuff was meant for trend micro in cork and they were tryin to contact that customer to see if he has my rain pants but were having trouble cuz they only have his mothers house address in germany ,but they gave my number to the contact so he can contact me here,,,,heres were it gets spooky my best mate works in trend micro and knows that same biker to see so failing him contacting me ill be able to get on to him myself and hopefully get my rain pants ,,,now is it just me or does all this seem like something out of the twilight zone ,,,,,,,,SMALL WORLD HUH[/size]
just off the phone to him hes on his way to me without my pants unfortunately ...but still a happy biker :lol

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: 31 March 2014, 09:09:57 pm »
Have a search on line for Flexothane waterproofs.

After several years buying Gortex incorporated textile bike gear I've given up.

Got myself some of these trousers and jacket from work. I recently put them to the test on a ride from St Davids, Pembrokeshire to Penzance, Cornwall... about 325 miles in the pissing rain. Verdict 100% waterproof.

http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products-page/sip/protective-clothing-accessories1/flexothane-rotterdam-waterproof-trousers-green/
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 April 2014, 10:38:04 am »
WD40 does the trick

xyy81t

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 April 2014, 12:54:59 pm »
I have a used set of Frank Thomas Aqua Pore trousers and jacket and although i have yet to be caught in a proper torrrential down-pour they keep me perfectly dry in normal everyday UK rain