Date: 16-05-24  Time: 07:22 am

Author Topic: Wont Run Without Choke  (Read 2936 times)

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Wont Run Without Choke
« on: 17 February 2013, 04:19:09 pm »
Guys

Not sure how to approach this one.

Got the bike back together after the winter clean and it starts and runs a treat - sounds good too.

However, I used to start it with the choke out, go back and close the garage door and then close the choke and the bike would be running sweet.

But now, the bike wont run without the choke part way out - i left it running for 10 mins, closed the choke and the bike cut out.

Oil - changed last year and there is enough in the bike.
Coolant : changed last July and enough in the bike
Petrol - filled up before putting away for winter.
Sparks - changed last year (with the oil)
Battery - new last year.

anything in particular that would stop it running with the choke in.

When it does run - you can see the white smoke coming out the exhaust

Cheers.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: Wont Run Without Choke
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2013, 04:39:36 pm »
how much of the bike did you strip for the winter clean ?
One, is never going to be enough.....

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2013, 05:06:35 pm »
only the "cosmetics" - fairing infills, hugger, front fender, plastic side infills, rear footrests and exhaust (slip on)

Nothing that should have affected the running of the bike
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2013, 05:48:05 pm »
Might just need a good run to clear out any crap that has gunged up in the carbs?

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2013, 05:48:30 pm »
very strange  :\ .....dont think it had anything to do with your winter clean...when was the bike last serviced and what was done ? and how many miles has the bike done

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2013, 05:49:39 pm »
Might just need a good run to clear out any crap that has gunged up in the carbs?

yeh good point chris.....how long has the bike been stood ?

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2013, 06:23:52 pm »
bike went off the road october last year - only did about 800 miles last year (weather pish and had a shoulder op at the start of the season)

changed the oil and sparks last year but havent done the miles to warrant changing them again.

should maybe have taken her out today but spent the time clearing out the garage

Foxwood

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2013, 06:43:01 pm »

Petrol - filled up before putting away for winter.

Could be the petrols gone 'bad'? I've always been advised to empty the tank rather than fill it up before putting it away for winter.  So maybe empty the tank and try with new fuel.

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2013, 06:51:42 pm »
hi, sounds like the pilot jets are blocked in the carbs, if you didnt drain the fuel out of the carb float bowls when you left in over winter it will block them, you will proberbly have to take the carbs off, take off the float bowls , remove the small pilot jets, clean them with carb cleaner ( clean the mains while your in there) reasamble and all should be well :lol
Mark

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2013, 07:12:12 pm »
hi, sounds like the pilot jets are blocked in the carbs, if you didnt drain the fuel out of the carb float bowls when you left in over winter it will block them, you will proberbly have to take the carbs off, take off the float bowls , remove the small pilot jets, clean them with carb cleaner ( clean the mains while your in there) reasamble and all should be well :lol
Mark

yeh ....i was heading that way mark......i always store my bikes with tank full to prevent rusting but always start every now and again and let run for 20 mins or so...dont think the fuel would have gone off in that time but could have blocked the pilots  ;)

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2013, 08:33:07 pm »
Mark

yeh ....i was heading that way mark......i always store my bikes with tank full to prevent rusting but always start every now and again and let run for 20 mins or so...dont think the fuel would have gone off in that time but could have blocked the pilots  ;)

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

My mechanical limits were met when I took off the rear hugger without breaking the bike!!!!!

wouldnt know what a float looks like if it fell outta my butt. might try running it for a while or takeing it out for a blast - otherwise need to get it to a mate who is mechanically minded.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 February 2013, 08:38:00 pm »
Interesting one this as my bike went to bed about the same time as lazarus's, also filled the tank with super unleaded & a wee bottle of fuel stabiliser,took out the battery & havent started her since,

If i get this same problem i'll know what not to do next year.

If i dont get any problems then the only thing we've done different is the starting it up now & again.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2013, 08:44:59 pm by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 February 2013, 01:28:57 am »
Clean clean and clean some more but worth noting don't touch the fuel mix idle screws, if bike was running right before this then that's not your problem,

Maybe just double check Ur plugs aswel, sometimes if you wash the bike damp can get into the plugs, happened to me??

If you can get you hands on a cheap ultrasonic cleaner if u do take carbs apart, mine cost 25 quid out of aldi, some water and vinegar in it works wonders to clean brass jets( hopefully you won't have to go that far)

ponkster

• Weekend Warrior
  • Grumpy Old MF
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - VN 1500 P1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 February 2013, 08:31:39 am »
With out getting too technical running with only choke would indicate one of two things - too much air (without choke) or not enough fuel - I would gues not enough fuel as I doubt you have aquired an air leak with it sitting over the winter.
A few simple checks would be to check any fuel filters for gummimg up , check non of your fuel pipes are kinked or twisted and you could even run a bit of new fuel wit redex though the carbs.

Does it die if you take the choke off when you got some good revs on ?-  if it does not and will run then this would indicate that the pilot jets are blocked as some one said earlier.
"Don't Die with Fun in the Bank!"

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 February 2013, 10:52:14 am »
but always start every now and again and let run for 20 mins or so.

Wasn't there a discussion about this "start the bike every week over winter" issue a few months ago?  I thought it was one of the worst things you could do to a stored motorcycle as because the engine never gets to full temperature it promotes condensation in the exhaust, incomplete fuel combustion in the chamber and so leads to dirty plugs and coated cylinders.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 February 2013, 11:35:52 am »
condensation is the killer.....thats the white smoke LAZARUS  can see coming out of the exhaust,the engine oil can soak moisture up aswell.....run the bike weekly until it reaches normal running temperture and then change the oil when you start using the bike  ;)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 February 2013, 12:06:36 pm »
The fuel issue really baffles me, doesnt help knowing next to nothing about bikes but then i havent heard much aout this with cars & they use the same fuel,they're also mostly fuel injected i suppose.

Thinking about fuel evaporating if left on the ground then how come whatever fuel's in the carbs doesnt just evaporate to nothing,especially if you've just had the engine running providing a bit of residual heat???

Is it impurities that are left over after the main fuel has evaporated or something???,is that why folk say fill up with super unleaded first??
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 February 2013, 06:28:15 pm »
looks like I got off lightly this time.

Ran the bike for 10 mins with choke "halfish" out - the white smoke was greatly diminished by the end of the 10 mins.

started playing with the mixer knob and now the bike runs sweet without the choke.

thanks for the replies guys and for scaring my wallet half to death!!