Date: 16-05-24  Time: 11:15 am

Author Topic: Brake Fluid on Pads...  (Read 2423 times)

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
Brake Fluid on Pads...
« on: 04 June 2015, 08:37:21 pm »
So - i have been doing lots on my brakes, and have new pads for all calipers, i have been using the olds ones while practicing bleeding.....

I want to make sure i do not get any oil on the new pads - what are people opinions on what to do IF you get oil on new pads...

Bin them or can you do anything to safely salvage them - i have read all sorts....but not sure what the general consensus is...

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Fluid on Pads...
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2015, 08:43:04 pm »
I have had fork oil leak onto them when seals have gone unnoticed  mid winter commuting. No matter what I tried to clean them they are never the same although I keep them in..... They just seem to lack bite. Not tried brake fluid on them though
Intentionally left blank

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2015, 08:58:33 pm »
I would replace them but I have heard of people boiling them in water.

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2015, 09:01:11 pm »
yeah i read that, i have new pads and the last thing i want to end up doing is fitting them, bleeding the brakes and getting brake fluid on them...
« Last Edit: 04 June 2015, 09:08:16 pm by anutz »

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2015, 09:11:02 pm »
If your worried about getting fluid on the new pads carry on doing the bleeding with old pads in then replace with the new ones when done, just leave a bit of space below max level on res so when you push pistons in for new pads there's room for fluid.

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2015, 09:12:38 pm »
good point - logical - something i am missing right now for some reason - no logic!  :rolleyes

thanks

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 June 2015, 12:58:54 am »
You can get a million different kits for bleeding brakes. But the easiest is just attach a bit of plastic hose onto the bleed nipple and bleed the fluid into a bottle. That'll keep it off the pads. I usually don't even bother doing that I just put down something under the nipple that absorbs the fluid and when that gets soaked replace it and keep going

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 June 2015, 08:35:44 am »
If your worried about getting fluid on the new pads carry on doing the bleeding with old pads in then replace with the new ones when done, just leave a bit of space below max level on res so when you push pistons in for new pads there's room for fluid.
It's not necessary to have the fluid any where near the max line whilst bleeding the system, so once it has been bled push the pistons back in then fill to the max level, no need to make any guesses for fluid level that way!
Some say...

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 June 2015, 09:29:30 am »
It's not necessary to have the fluid any where near the max line whilst bleeding the system, so once it has been bled push the pistons back in then fill to the max level, no need to make any guesses for fluid level that way!

Who said you did?.
« Last Edit: 05 June 2015, 09:31:38 am by bandit »

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 June 2015, 12:25:24 pm »

Who said you did?.
Instead of getting defensive about this try re-reading as if two people are agreeing on this method and the additional piece of advice is instead of leaving a little gap below the max line just don't fill anywhere near it!
Some say...