Date: 11-05-24  Time: 10:02 am

Author Topic: confusion. Electrics cutting out.  (Read 833 times)

Lumpy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Blackbird XX-W, XS1100E
    • View Profile
confusion. Electrics cutting out.
« on: 14 November 2013, 10:41:15 am »
I hate these sorts of issues as I cannot find a cause. Every now and then, and big time last night, no electrics but no blown fuses. The after a while the electrics come back on. I have a resettable circuit breaker on the 30A fuse but this isn't tripping as the trip meter doesn't zero. NO LIGHTS, NO DASH, NO START. It sounds sort of electronics based as it resets and comes back on by itself, although last night it didn't for a while. Pullet the multi relay from under the ls panel but even with this out the dash lights were on so not that. Wondered if the light switch was shorting as it seemed to cut out when the lights were switched on for a while, but wouldn't that pop a fuse?

Horrible these intermittent ones. I cannot replicate it now so fingers crossed. She has 97k on her odometer now so she is entitled to get a bit grumpy at times.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: confusion. Electrics cutting out.
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2013, 01:23:22 pm »
97k... it's just nicely run-in. :)
I'd check the ignition switch and the cabling to it, the contacts can get grimy and the wires have to flex with the steering. Sounds more like an open-circuit than a short since the fuses aren't blowing.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2013, 02:24:48 pm »
It'll be a dodgy earth somewhere, surely?

Lumpy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Blackbird XX-W, XS1100E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2013, 04:36:07 pm »
It seemed like a dodgy lead as it kept coming back to life, it also felt electronic related for the same reason. All fired up around lunchtime, ran for a while on full load so all hunky dory, then it died again and that's the way it stayed, so sparky at work involved with clever bits of equipment and all relays and stuff fine. Delving further under the tank to the twin connector from the ignition switch had a little spark when the ignition switch was turned on, delving deeper and the red feed wire on the switch side of the plug came apart, very green and terminal welded into place on the connector. so new terminals crimped on and new receptacle and all seems fine now. Simple.