Date: 04-05-24  Time: 13:36 pm

Author Topic: clicking noise  (Read 5488 times)

paul1606

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
clicking noise
« on: 21 October 2011, 10:01:32 am »
Getting an annoying "clicking noise" from somewhere mostly heard when riding slow in 1st its like a revelution click if you know what i mean,same sort of noise when you get a stone hung up in the tyre tread. And before its said NO there isnt a stone in the tread.
Thought it was a tight link in the chain had the chain & sprockets changed still bloody there.Only thing i can think of is the front pads sticking in the calipers ive lifted the front end off the deck , spun the front wheel and its as if the pads are binding & moving in the calipers. Is the wheel suppose to spin freely(come to rest under its own momentum??) or does it normally bind
Changed the pads & seals last year for your info
Horrible paranoid thoughts going through my head of a chipped 1st gear tooth something like that. Please put my paranoier to bed and give me your thoughts cheers

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: clicking noise
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2011, 05:38:04 pm »
Obviously it would you and us if you could be a bit more precise with where the noise appears to be originating.  Front/rear etc?  :)

Try squeezing the front brake lever gently at a standstill while pushing forward on the bars.  If you hear a click, it's pads moving in the calipers.  If you squeeze really hard, the noise should go away.

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2011, 08:39:10 pm »
I get a "clicking" on my Gen 2 and puzzled over this for a while. Worked out it was indeed the pads moving in the calipers.
Stripped the brakes down, put back together and still clicks. No issues with braking performance its just one of those things  ;)

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2011, 08:19:07 pm »

i have exactly the same with mine, it's on 22k now and i also changed my chain and sprockets 2 weeks ago and serviced my brakes last winter and they have not seen salt or significant rain since. i've checked the brake pads and they don't rattle, besides the noise is constantly audible at low speed whether the brakes are off or lightly dragged.

i feel a bit better that mine's not the only one but would like to get to the bottom of it all the same.
is it clean enough?

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2011, 02:11:26 pm »

i've changed my mind completely after a 120 mile ride today. it's the front brake pads rattling in the calipers. rode at 20 through a village (20 limit and a good job too, there was a mobile camera in play round a blind corner) and listened carefully while just very lightly appling pressure to the brake lever - i could stop the clicking/ticking noise by applying the brake before it noticeably slowed the bike.

so next question (obviously!) - what's the fix?
is it clean enough?

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 October 2011, 11:50:33 am »
Ear plugs  :b

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 October 2011, 06:52:27 pm »
Ear plugs  :b

Yep that is my solution too

paul1606

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 October 2011, 08:14:08 pm »
Only as it seemed to be at slow speeds & when i give it some thought its after i brake coming into a 30 or for a junction then let off the brakes to slow ride. I went out yesterday rode for the first 10 miles rear braking only with no clicking :) so carried on normal riding front braking ...........guess what ?? no clicking  :\  ah well at least its not a chipped gear

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2011, 06:53:58 am »
it could be simply not using OE pads. I noticed EBC pads seem " loose" in the calipers rather than when I had OE in.EBC being like half the price of OE pads...it seems a no brainer.
No worries on braking performance though. I was very impressed with brake power on my recent trackday at cadwell. If anything, hard use of the brakes seemed to improve my brakes. maybe it scrubbed off any road soiling  from the pad surface.
Also, the bike makes enuff noise from everything else for me to be too concerned about a bit of clicking !

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2012, 08:44:45 am »

i've changed my mind completely after a 120 mile ride today. it's the front brake pads rattling in the calipers. rode at 20 through a village (20 limit and a good job too, there was a mobile camera in play round a blind corner) and listened carefully while just very lightly appling pressure to the brake lever - i could stop the clicking/ticking noise by applying the brake before it noticeably slowed the bike.

so next question (obviously!) - what's the fix?

Did you resolve the front pads rattling or are they still doing it? Recently swapped to new EBC disks and pads on the front and they rattle loudly at low speed - no issues stopping tho, they work fine

S
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 March 2012, 05:09:40 pm »

a liberal smearing of coppaslip to the rear of the pads as i recall - clicking noise gone. (for now at least)
is it clean enough?

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 March 2012, 09:55:40 pm »
As far as I'm aware and I'm sure some will correct me if I'm wrong, the front wheel shouldn't be free wheeling, but should have just a little friction from the brakes, as the pads don't back off completely and skim the disc slightly. If you have to put some effort into spinning the wheel then the brakes are likely to be binding slightly and the more effort is needed, the more the binding is.

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 March 2012, 11:27:59 pm »
As far as I'm aware and I'm sure some will correct me if I'm wrong, the front wheel shouldn't be free wheeling, but should have just a little friction from the brakes, as the pads don't back off completely and skim the disc slightly. If you have to put some effort into spinning the wheel then the brakes are likely to be binding slightly and the more effort is needed, the more the binding is.

Mine contact a little, I'm familiar with the amount that's normal - but the pads still rattle disconcertingly, I did coppaslip the pads pretty liberally, but will give them another go...
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright