Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > FZS600 Fazer

Clutch Problem - FZS600 1998

(1/2) > >>

CountFazer:
Hi All,

I've been having some issues with my clutch which have now progressed and need some immediate attention.

How it started:
When changing from first to second the gearbox would jump out of second and back to neutral. This would occur particularly after hard acceleration. After one or two goes I could get the bike to go into second.
After a while this would occur at any rate of acceleration. Also the bike would sometimes skip second and jump into third.

How it's going now:
Now the bike struggles to get into second. When changing from first to second it will go straight to neutral and then it'll be like there are no more gears. I can get it to go to second after a lot of tries but then have issues getting back to first.

When the bike is in each gear the behaviour is normal. No clutch slip or anything else that's unusual. It just an issue when changing gears.

From what I've read on here, it seems like this might be an issue with the gear selector forks or maybe the clutch springs. It would be good to hear some thoughts from people on here. Maybe the problem could be something else and there might be a procedure to follow for proper diagnosis of the problem.

Gnasher:
As you've stated in your update.  Your issue is unlikely to be clutch related but rather a damaged/bent selector fork. 

CountFazer:
Thanks Gnasher. Looks like I have some research to do. There are some good discussions on here for this issue so hopefully that combined with further research will be enough. Very keen to get this project running as it should and this is probably the last major issue to sort out for now. Had a good 3000k km on it though before having to sort this out. Can well and truely say I’m hooked. Thanks for your help along the way.

psyfi_1:
hi this is a usual problem with fazers and is a gearbox repair most just fit new engines instead

CountFazer:
Why do people prefer to fit new engines? Is it because they’re not doing the work themselves and/or it’ll close $$$ and too much time to fix it?

I got this bike as a project and to me this the next part of the journey. It would be good to keep going to see how far I can get.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version