Date: 19-03-24  Time: 11:46 am

Author Topic: Rear shock ? ....sorry!  (Read 3011 times)

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
Rear shock ? ....sorry!
« on: 12 December 2021, 08:44:02 am »
Hi All,

so rode the Fazer 1000 gen1 round the block and the front forks are leaking so 1st question whats the preferred springs for road riding(progressive with 7.5 oil?)  and 2nd question is the R6 08 on rear shock a straight swap and does that include 2017 to present R6 rear shock ?

i did read a lot on here so i think i have answered my own question but if someone could confirm that would be great and at least its not a which oil/tyres question  :rollin :rollin

Mark :)

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Rear shock ? ....sorry!
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2021, 12:48:17 pm »
If you want progressive springs then Hyperpro are what is generally recommended. I would however recommend linear springs based on your weight unless you specifically want progressive. Linear will offer a more predictable ride which I personally feel is important especially in corners and when riding at less than sedate speeds. I believe the OEM springs are dual rate so a kind of cross between the two but without the benefits of either. I have K-Tec linear springs in mine and are pretty happy with them.

Unfortunately I can't advise on R6 shocks, but maybe keep an eye out for 2nd hand Nitron shocks, they are pretty decent and can be serviced and resprung for your weight by Nitron if necessary.
« Last Edit: 13 December 2021, 12:52:12 pm by PieEater »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2021, 12:54:39 pm »
If you want progressive springs then Hyperpro are what is generally recommended.

I replaced the OEM springs on my FZ6 with Hyperpro progressives and they give a much nicer ride, although I'm probably going to swap the Hyperpro supplied fork oil with a thinner one because, especially in the cold weather, I feel there's too much damping on compression which can give a bit of a bumpy ride :(

I would however recommend linear springs based on your weight unless you specifically want progressive.

Linear springs are good for track use because they don't have to deal with potholes, speed bumps etc.

Progressive springs, however *are* designed for day to day riding and absorbing everything that city streets and country roads have to throw at them.

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2021, 05:57:54 pm »
Thanks both, just ordered some K Tech springs and 7.5 oil from Brooks suspension.
Mark  :)

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 December 2021, 07:28:38 am »
Let us know how you get on. You will need to revisit your preload and damping with the new springs to get the best out of them, preload is just setting the static sag to 25-30mm, damping will be trial and error until you find what works for you, compression I'd start with 8 clicks out from fully in then go for a ride and see if it feels too firm or not firm enough and adjust accordingly. I think the stock rebound setting is 7 clicks from fully in it will be a case of riding and seeing how the forks behave under braking and in corners, making an adjustment and seeing if it gets better or worse. Sorry if you knew all that but I thought it would be worth mentioning.

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2021, 05:42:36 pm »
Thank you, the bike is a bit of a mess so im ordering bits now and then in the warmer months give it a gentle resto as its going to be my all year round bike if, need to remove the bullsh!t shine paint job on the motor as nothing was masked up , paint the wheels/ frame, brackets etc, fix the exup and of course the forks and suspension but nothing major.
i know a bit about the suspension but always good to know more and to know i can ask on here as well and the setting up will be fun !!
Normally i would do this over the winter but i have a garage full:
R1
RD250LC
RXS100
RS100
DT50MX
Fazer 1000
and an AJS125 Cadwell i commute on  :rollin
Going to let the RXS and the AJS go soon ............... i think  :evil

Thanks
Mark

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2021, 10:07:22 am »

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2021, 01:31:04 pm »
RXS100
My first proper bike.

Mines got Hytech reeds, large can allspeed and jetted, she goes well  :evil

The RS100 is my actual bike from when i was 17 (54 now) got it back by luck .....well a random convo :short story, scooter got a puncture so had to use the R1 , IT guy at work said he didnt realise i had "proper" bikes as he has a TLR 1000 got chatting about 2 strokes, i said about getting an RS100 , he said he had one rusting away in his garage , turns out it was my old bike  :D

Yanto

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - fazer 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 December 2021, 12:42:17 pm »
i am doing up a neglected 03 and doing suspension now i got the 08 r6 shock
drilled the top to 12mm got 2mm spacers for the top
found a very helpful guy on ebay that has all dogbone size
if you want standard hight its 130mm i wanted to lower mine so got 134mm so just under 20mm lower

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 December 2021, 08:45:07 pm »
i am doing up a neglected 03 and doing suspension now i got the 08 r6 shock
drilled the top to 12mm got 2mm spacers for the top
found a very helpful guy on ebay that has all dogbone size
if you want standard hight its 130mm i wanted to lower mine so got 134mm so just under 20mm lower

Great info, i think you can get DL650 dogbones at 129mm that fit ( been searching the net), did you drill the top of the shock to 12mm or the frame( im guessing the shock?)

Yanto

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - fazer 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 December 2021, 07:08:14 pm »
yes the shock

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 December 2021, 08:10:37 pm »

nordboy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 January 2022, 09:15:14 pm »
Interested in all this. Keep the info coming as I'm about to start the suspension on my '02 thou. Then it can go somewhere for the carbs to be sorted out (that may be a job too far/ difficult for me)

Jays83

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 January 2022, 06:50:01 pm »
Sorry for breaking in to this topic, does anyone know if a 2020 r6 rearshock will fit? And is there a motorcycle (any brand) that has 130mm dogbones original? I live near Boonstraparts in the Netherlands so if i know what make and model uses these i can pick them up when i need them.

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 January 2022, 08:55:03 pm »
Sorry for breaking in to this topic, does anyone know if a 2020 r6 rearshock will fit? And is there a motorcycle (any brand) that has 130mm dogbones original? I live near Boonstraparts in the Netherlands so if i know what make and model uses these i can pick them up when i need them.
Not OEM dogbone options but this UK store has dog bones available to order by size at £15 including VAT you may have something similar in the Netherlands or for something in the EU this German Ebay seller may be nearer and able to sort you out if you contact them.

Jays83

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 January 2022, 10:54:54 pm »
Thank's for your help mate.👌