Date: 19-03-24  Time: 11:10 am

Author Topic: help,help,help,help  (Read 2537 times)

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
help,help,help,help
« on: 24 November 2021, 04:23:40 pm »
Haven't posted for a bit,had a few problems,but anyway I'm in a right mess,I had to replace the throttle cables on my gen 2 fz1n and a bigger nightmare I can't recall anyway,after 3 days I got them in after loosening the throttle bodies to give me a bit more access.Put it all back together and it runs terrible,it starts ok on choke but as soon as you  twist the throttle it goes onto 2 cylinders and just bangs and will not run right,I've warmed it up so its off any kind of choke but it makes no diff at all.I took the tank back off thinking I must have left a wire or pipe off somewhere but nothing.I haven't got a clue where to look next and wondered if any of you guys might have some idea what I may have done.
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: help,help,help,help
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2021, 06:25:59 pm »
I'm not familiar with the FZ1, but I'd think about checking the ignition coils are properly connected.

If it's not that, my next guess would be the fuel feed.

FazThou

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2021, 06:49:42 pm »
Also make sure you havent kinked the breather hoses under the tank

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2021, 12:08:09 am »
Thanks for those replies,I checked for any kinked or loose hoses first,a friend of mine said that it sounds as though I might have disturbed something down by the throttle bodies that deals with the fuelling but I wouldn't have a clue about that,I'm really just a pads and oil/filters bloke ,when it comes to anything technical I'm lost.I really wish I hadn't done this job it's just that my local yamaha dealer charges so much I didn't even get a quote.Hindsight's a great thing ay? I've just sent for a disc workshop manual off e/bay so I'll have a look at the throttle bodies on there and see if I have disturbed something.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 25 November 2021, 08:52:28 am »
I've just sent for a disc workshop manual off e/bay so I'll have a look at the throttle bodies on there and see if I have disturbed something.

Why do people insist on paying for dodgy copies of manuals without checking the downloads section on here first?

https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;cat=4
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 November 2021, 09:01:47 am »
Presume the bike was running fine before hand other than whatever issue there was with the cables? 

I had to replace the throttle cables on my gen 2 fz1n

Why?

Often what appears to be a throttle cable issue isn't, it's a injection fueling setting or fault.

Unfortunately things that often appear straightforward aren't, changing throttle cables is one of them especially on later R1's, FZ1 etc.  Requiring what appears to be an almost complete strip down of body parts and engine ancillaries. It's very likely you've either, not seated the throttle bodies, causing an air leak, disturbed the sub throttle servo motor/settings or broken something

Forget things like choke, its an injection system there is no choke.  Trying to troubleshoot this over an internet forum is likely to lead to you getting more frustrated or doing even more damage.     

What you do next really depends on what you're comfortable doing and your experience/knowledge?  You can either reverse/remove everything you've done and refit closely following the manual and checking each component/setting in turn. Bear in mind the factory manual doesn't tell you how to remove/replace just the cable, but how to remove/replace components to get at them.

Or you take it to someone who knows 

Later

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2021, 05:03:13 pm »
Really helpful my local yamaha dealers,one whom I've spent quite a few quid over the years, "we don't let our technicians talk to customers ","dunno mate you'll have to bring it in " "can you wear a mask ?" Next time I go in I'll pretend to be interested in buying a new bike,lead them a merry dance then foc off just to piss them off. ..........I'm in the shit. :'(

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2021, 09:45:57 pm »
My mate got a pic of some throttle bodies for sale on e/bay and noticed a couple of electrical components which must lead to the E.C.U. like gnasher said and I think I may have disturbed them in some way as they're right by where you put the cables on so we're going to have a looksee. :thumbup

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2022, 09:34:57 pm »
Just in case any body's got this problem in the future I finally sorted it,when I was trying in vain to get the lower throttle cable in with the throttle bodies in situ I accidently dislodged a small spring that is part of the mechanism that opens the lower flies,as I'd never had anything to do with this part of the bike I didn't realise what I'd done until I'd took the bodies off 3 times hoping to see something each time,it was only on the 3rd time that I'd asked a mate to see if he could maybe see what I was missing,he turned the ignition on which opens the main flies and held them open so he could see the lower ones and seen that 2 were opening before the others,I said I thought that's what should happen and he felt sure they should all open together and they of course should. While I was trying to find out what was wrong I bought a second hand set of bodies off e/bay for 45 quid with a problem on the servo or something but I asked the bloke if the rest of them was ok and he assured me they was I was so sure I'd damaged the bodies somehow. They came as I found out about the screw and sure enough there it was ! I was chuffed to bollocks to have sorted this,I thought I'd have to book it into a Yamaha garage where it would have cost me hundreds I was convinced I'd cocked something electrical up with the way the bike ran,gone on a bit ain't I ?,anyway,happy days  :thumbup

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2022, 10:25:11 pm »
Well done mate. Glad you finally got it sorted and WITHOUT having to hand over a wad to a dealer.
If it makes you feel any better, I suspect many of us have done something similar. I have probably only a slightly better talent with the tools than you.
Years ago, I checked the valve clearances on a Yamaha Dragstar 650. Had to have the carbs off to do so. Didn’t realise that I’d put a spring back on the wrong way around. When it was all back together, the throttle wouldn’t shut properly when you released it.
Ordered and fitted another throttle cable, thinking I’d damaged or kinked the original. No joy! So I had to have the carbs off again. Fortunately I then realised what I’d done and it was an easy fix. Spent hours messing about with it though.
Well done. Hope you can now have many more happy miles on the FZ. 👍

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2022, 09:18:57 am »
I did wonder how you’d been getting on with injector problem as it had all gone quiet for a couple of months. Glad you got it sorted without too much expense. Soon be time for you to get out riding again :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 February 2022, 03:42:42 pm »
Cheers for those replies,it's such a relief when you suss something out that you thought had turned into a nightmare,I've got to be honest I was worried where this was going and the joy that it was only a small spring I'd dislodged,well,couldn't be happier. :woot

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 February 2022, 11:03:49 pm »
That's good going for a pads and filter bloke, well done you've just graduated 🎓
*Disclaimer*
Nothing I say should in any way be taken as a good idea 😄

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 February 2022, 05:28:36 pm »
Cheers mukka ! took it around the block to check it out and everything seems fine apart from the fact I've put no mirrors on it yet,didn't think it would be that much of an issue,wrong!!! I never realised how much you use them ! especially the right one,also the steering was unbelievable ! I can't remember the last time I rode a bike with wide,highish bars,if ever! the amount of input compared to std bars I just can't believe,the slightest move is like 4 times the amount I would have used with my old renthals ! I'm going to have to get plenty of road use to feel comfortable,that's for sure.It just goes to show, I never gave it a thought how it would ride and almost come unstuck coming off my drive because I was riding it like I always have done and just oversteered it  :eek  I'll get there, :o