Date: 22-05-24  Time: 05:20 am

Author Topic: temp & condensation , short runs v long runs  (Read 769 times)

butthead

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - honda cbf1000
    • View Profile
temp & condensation , short runs v long runs
« on: 26 February 2021, 04:50:55 pm »
so i have heard that short runs or static runs ( ticking over not riding )  are bad for the bike due to condensation issues as the bike doesnt get properly hot or hot enough.
wanting to learn more about this, at what point does the condensation occur ?  heating up or cooling down or both.
does going for a long run eradicate this condensation or minimize it ?
so i was thinking that if it occurs at a certain temp range at some point even after a very long run it will cool back down at some point to that problem temp range so wont that create condensation?  long run or short run either way?
or is it created ONLY on warm up not cooling back down, and gets eradicated by increased temperature that too short a run doesnt give you ?

how long a run is enough of a run , and do we worry about this on a daily basis on our short commutes to work and back in our cars ? how many short journeys are made daily in cars ?

anyone have any expertise on offer in this area .  just an interesting topic id like more information on 

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: temp & condensation , short runs v long runs
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2021, 06:29:15 pm »
I've often wondered this too. Most of my trips are only 3 miles to work then 3 miles home and obviously that's supposed to be a big No-no but I've been doing that for 8 years now and never had a problem 🤷‍♂️
Like you said about the car... wouldn't think twice jumping in that to niP to a shop or ya mates/parents/kids house a mile or 2 away

I think you just have to change your oil more often if you are only doing short runs as it ends up building up that mayo type stuff in it. That's probably where the problems would occur if you end up with a too high ratio of water in your oil. I change mine at least twice a year so maybe that's why I've never had an issue 🤔
« Last Edit: 26 February 2021, 07:02:02 pm by Dudeofrude »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2021, 06:57:45 pm »
I only ever thought that it would just be an exhaust rot issue and nothing else negative wise.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2021, 07:26:00 pm »
Used to get this a lot on a divvy 900, mayo in the oil window, going a few miles to and from work, a long blast down the a34 would burn it off. Never saw anything untoward on oil changes.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2021, 05:44:24 am »
If it was such a big deal these bikes would've been dead and buried years ago.
But it isn't.
As mentioned make sure you change your oil regularly on or before time and you won't have any issues. I do shortish runs to and from work every day in all weathers all year round and prefer to change my oil any time after the 4000 mark but the manual says 6000 miles so i've got plenty of time to pick and choose when to do it.
In colder weather use the choke and let the bike warm up a bit before heading off, i'll normally leave it for at least a couple of minutes around the 2000rpm mark while i'm sorting out other stuff. It will run so much better rather than trying to get the engine warm when first riding it.
Plus the neighbours love the sound of the engine, and the tender notes of my Quill exhaust early in the morning......i presume.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.