Date: 19-03-24  Time: 08:23 am

Author Topic: TFT Dash for the Fazer 1000 / FZ1  (Read 38433 times)

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
TFT Dash for the Fazer 1000 / FZ1
« on: 09 August 2019, 01:51:11 pm »
Hi all,

I love my FZ1 too much so for a little while I've been working on a TFT Dashboard for it. The stock clocks on the FZ1 really could do with an upgrade. Here's a screenshot of the TFT Dash in the 'blue' theme. (The Dash has multiple colour themes you can choose from).

The bike interface hardware has now come along quite nicely in the past few weeks, and I've just sent off for my production PCBs so I can start making a few of these.

To see my prototype in action on the bike here's a video: (The video shows the display in it's default theme with a white background - daytime mode)

https://youtu.be/YDrMt46t1s8

A few things still need to be sorted like:
- Mounting options for the display, ideally these need to mount perfectly onto the stock bracket.
- Mounting positions for the bike interface. It is plug and play so no modification to the bikes wiring is needed. Just unplug your clocks, and plug in the TFT Dash interface.
- Software needs a little bit more tweaking.

Any info or questions, let me know.

Cheers.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: TFT Dash for the Fazer 1000 / FZ1
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2019, 06:14:33 pm »
That looks genuinely impressive. I reckon its be a great mod for the faired/fazer version but not sure I'd get away with on a naked one.
But yeah well done mate, it's looking great

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2019, 07:23:14 pm »
Looks great, be interested in one of these for sure

ninjabika

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fzs 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2019, 10:21:12 am »
Looks good, would be interested in one, obviously price dependant

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2019, 02:59:58 pm »
Hopefully Max Speed is something that is configurable or is cleared once the ignition is off, not something you want visible if you're stopped for speeding  :'( or anything else in reality.
« Last Edit: 10 August 2019, 03:00:34 pm by PieEater »

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2019, 06:44:09 pm »
This looks brilliant, is that a gear indicater or just neutral light
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 August 2019, 07:10:56 pm »
Thanks all. I've been experimenting with mounting options today. Here's another video of the display mounted nicely onto the stock bracket:

https://youtu.be/EisHiCFwlZo

LOL very true about max speed - it's not saved and only records the maximum speed for the current trip. It gets cleared once the ignition is off. Only things that are saved
are:

Odo
Trip1, Trip2
Clock time is also maintained.
KM / MPH mode
Your chosen colour theme.

There is another set of information that is displayed when you press the select button which switches to another display so max speed is not shown :)

The neutral light turns into a gear indicator once you're moving. Gear indicator is calculated based on Speed & RPM. For this reason you'll have to specify your sprocket setup if you've moved from the stock setup - so it can accurately work out which gear you're in.

schlumpf

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2019, 08:03:33 pm »
That is very, very impressive! And I really can imagine how much time and effort went into this project to bring it to such perfection.

I'm working on my multi-gauge for more than a decade and always dreamed of such a brilliant solution. Therefore I'm very curious to learn more about the electronics behind. And maybe I can be of any help and share my learnings with you, to ease up your final work.

Just thinking loud, would it be possible to also add a kind of "Android Window" to run e.g. Google-Maps or maps.me? To have cockpit and navigation in a combined display?

windyg

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2019, 09:07:56 pm »
That looks really impressive

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2019, 09:10:36 pm »
Many thanks! It really has been quite a challenging project with me wanting to throw it out the window and give up the whole thing on more than one occasion. I've had to refine my final schematic several times for different reasons and revise my PCB designs. I've got several final boards that are on their way to me so those hopefully should arrive next week. The electronics are actually not too complex being built around the ATmega microcontroller with several Voltage Divider circuits & Low Pass RC Filters for speed and rpm. Most of the work has been in the software - mostly coding up the firmware for the microcontroller & the software thats running on the Raspberry Pi for the high speed graphics and having these communicate reliably to one another.

I've thought about including Navigation and this will certainly be something I'd like to add in the future. My thoughts initially are around the way KTM have implemented this on their latest machines. You have an app on your phone which is communicating directional information to the Dashboard. So really it's your phone that's doing the navigation using a customised app and sending direction updates to the dashboard via bluetooth. This is certainly possible.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2019, 09:57:19 pm »
Very impressive ;) Would making it work on other bikes like the 600 require a total re-design or just some minor tweeking?

Bit of a thread hi-jack but would you have any recommendations for good books or sources of information on electronics used in motorbikes? Or just good books on basic electronics? :)

schlumpf

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 August 2019, 12:58:36 pm »
Bit of a thread hi-jack but would you have any recommendations for good books or sources of information on electronics used in motorbikes? Or just good books on basic electronics? :)
A good start might be the following projects. They provide lots of information on their wiki pages:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=448191.0
http://megasquirt.info/

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 August 2019, 03:08:09 pm »
Yeah Arduino forums is where i'd start.

When designing the software, I've kept other bikes fully in mind so that it wouldn't require a total redesign. The display configuration would just need tweaking to account for the different RPM range, but everything else would stay the same on the display side. The main bit of work would be the bike interface hardware, whilst the electronics would stay largely the same it would need some changes to account for the different pinouts different bikes use for the clocks. The code thats interpreting the PWM pulses might also need tweaking as I'd imagine not all Speed sensors are made all the same, the same would be true for RPM. The coolant sensor may also have a different B-value and range so maybe some tweaking there. Depending on if the bike has a float in the fuel tank or just a low fuel switch some tweaking may be needed there. Different fuel floats may also operate at a different resistance range.

Overall not a complete redesign but a bit of work.

Geowulf

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM 850 Mk II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 August 2019, 04:13:26 pm »
Yes, definitely put me down for one :)

My bike - The original clocks need to go!!!
If it aint broke, make it better

ArchDruid

• DAS Born Again
  • wearing my tyres with pride
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Tiger 1050; YZF750/1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 August 2019, 07:59:13 pm »
Really interesting development, well done.
Definitely a step up from the Multi-Gauge that I installed a few years back (in place of the analog temp & fuel indicators). I did that primarily for the gear indication, but that looks to be included in your package. Happy to hear more when the time comes.

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 August 2019, 03:32:21 pm »
The one thing I'd want that I can't see on the display is a voltmeter. So useful, but so often ignored!

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 August 2019, 01:50:20 pm »
A voltmeter is also included. When pressing the select button, the panel that shows the MPG, Range, Max Speed, Trip Time switches to another panel which shows, Battery Voltage, RPM (In numbers - useful if you're balancing carbs), and Exact Fuel Reading. You can toggle between the two panels.

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 August 2019, 09:13:20 am »
Proper job and looks fantastic.
Hats off to you mate - well done.
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 August 2019, 11:18:15 pm »
Thanks so much for your comments! Thought I'd post an update on the development. Got the complete kit mounted on my bike today and took it for it's first road test with the TFT Dash mounted. Performed real nice, but me being a perfectionist I need to be happy with the values I'm seeing - a couple of tweaks to the voltage reading and fuel readings as this was fluctuating quite a bit whilst riding on the road - quite understandably as you ride your fuel in the tank will slosh about causing the float to move up and down therefore generating a range of values which need to be interpreted correctly.

Here's a video talking about the latest developments & a run through of the different menu options.

https://youtu.be/4CylaMNT9BM

Andrew

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 August 2019, 01:06:03 pm »
Sign me up :D

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 August 2019, 07:28:28 pm »
Have to say not a fan of top speed being on the main screen.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 August 2019, 08:21:05 pm »
Thanks so much for your comments! Thought I'd post an update on the development. Got the complete kit mounted on my bike today and took it for it's first road test with the TFT Dash mounted. Performed real nice, but me being a perfectionist I need to be happy with the values I'm seeing - a couple of tweaks to the voltage reading and fuel readings as this was fluctuating quite a bit whilst riding on the road - quite understandably as you ride your fuel in the tank will slosh about causing the float to move up and down therefore generating a range of values which need to be interpreted correctly.

Here's a video talking about the latest developments & a run through of the different menu options.

https://youtu.be/4CylaMNT9BM

I've got to ask because its driving me nuts..... why is the screen upside down? Lol

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 August 2019, 08:45:34 pm »
Yeah I'll probably move the max speed to the secondary display so you have to press the select button to see it. As for the display being upside down - this is mainly due to the model of TFT screen I'm using, the back of it where you connect the HDMI input protrudes about 3cm which gets in the way of the mounting bracket, but if I turn it upside down and flip the image - problem solved lol.

crankcase

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 August 2019, 12:50:58 am »
That is some fantastic work! I actually registered on the forum just to check it out  :lol

I am currently using the multi gauge made my grommet and schlumpf on the yamahafz1oa forum, and I especially love the fact that your design is completely plug & play :thumbup

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 August 2019, 07:58:24 pm »
Yeah aiming for this to be completely plug & play. Latest update video:

https://youtu.be/nkVYGCFAAtw

This time bring a camera along with me for the ride - the first time I took it up to motorway speeds with the TFT Dash installed I discovered my speedo was way way off after comparing it to my sat nav (my previous testing has so far been in the garage with the bike on the centre stand). Took a different approach in the code for calculating speed and now it's spot on! Simpler is always better as they say! Now just need to sort my gear indicator. RPM and Speed is accurate but RPM is a bit jittery so would like to smooth this out - gear indicator keeps thinking I'm in 1st which isn't right so need to work out whats going on there. I've sent off for some proper waterproof enclosures which will contain the electronics + screen. So ideally when I ship these it will just be one thing to unplug and plug in. The prototype on my bike has bits everywhere at the moment lol.